Gibson Brands Forums

Changing pick ups

Tshodder

To my guess due to the PCB it is best to remove all the parts, use new pots, caps, and output jack for rewiring. You may solder different cables to the switch and use it again but my choice would be to keep it and its wiring original for possible reuse.

Ok thanks capmaster , also is there an ideal size of pots needed? Sorry my first time trying this

For Humbuckers, 500Kohm pots are generally used; 250Kohm pots are quite often paired with single-coil pickups, and sometimes 300Kohm are found with P90's.

Although these don't have to be exclusive, IMHO for a first-time rewire like what you're doing, get 2x 500Kohm logarithmic (log) pots for volume, and 2x 500Kohm linear pots for tone controls (assuming a 4 control layout), and get 2x 0.022uF capacitors for the tone circuit.

Personally, it's my opinion that your 2013 SG Standard is one of the best guitars ever made,

and if you put DiMarzio pickups in it, that's a definite downgrade. Don't do it. Buy an Epiphone

and put the Dimarzios in that. That might be an improvement. Epiphones make great mod platforms...

I should know.

What you got with your SG Standard is Gibson's '57 Classic neck and Classic+ Bridge p'up...

These are premium pickups that have been used on SG '61 ReIssue and other very expensive guitars.

The reason they've been installed in Gibson high level guitars is excellence...

because they deliver the sound. I bought a set of these for my '07 SG faded Special.

I absolutely love the tone, and the presence of these.

Not a fan of DiMarzios, can you tell? *shrugs (and I am a fan of the '57s)

If you decide that you must remove these top-of-the-line pickups and install Dimarzios,

you'll find that they are so desirable that you ought to be able to sell them right away to

other guitarists with more sense. And then regret the loss once they're gone.

But I still think you shouldn't do it. If you can't relate to an SG Standard with '57 Classics

you should just sell the guitar un-modded to someone who can appreciate it. You'll get more money

for it that way, and you can use that money to buy what you want.

Personally, it's my opinion that your 2013 SG Standard is one of the best guitars ever made,

and if you put DiMarzio pickups in it, that's a definite downgrade. Don't do it. Buy an Epiphone

and put the Dimarzios in that. That might be an improvement. Epiphones make great mod platforms...

I should know.

What you got with your SG Standard is Gibson's '57 Classic neck and Classic+ Bridge p'up...

These are premium pickups that have been used on SG '61 ReIssue and other very expensive guitars.

The reason they've been installed in Gibson high level guitars is excellence...

because they deliver the sound. I bought a set of these for my '07 SG faded Special.

I absolutely love the tone, and the presence of these.

Not a fan of DiMarzios, can you tell? *shrugs (and I am a fan of the '57s)

If you decide that you must remove these top-of-the-line pickups and install Dimarzios,

you'll find that they are so desirable that you ought to be able to sell them right away to

other guitarists with more sense. And then regret the loss once they're gone.

But I still think you shouldn't do it. If you can't relate to an SG Standard with '57 Classics

you should just sell the guitar un-modded to someone who can appreciate it. You'll get more money

for it that way, and you can use that money to buy what you want.

Completely agree, the SG and classic 57 is a perfect match! But peoples taste do differ !

Archived