Gibson Brands Forums

Wanting to Install 6 way Vari-Tone on my ES-339

Dr.Gibson1988

I have a 2014 Gibson Memphis ES-339, and Im in the process of upgrading the pots, and I want to add a 6 way vari-tone as well. Can someone please give me some in sight on how hard this is going to be, can it even be done, can it be done with minimal damage to the guitar itself or should well enough be left alone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

First, I wonder what exactly you mean talking about upgrading pots. In my opinion the stock pots are fine.

Finding a suitable six-position rotary switch and capacitors small enough to solder them to it in a way allowing to put it all through an f-hole should be possible on principal.

To avoid drilling an additional hole and keep it fully reversible, sacrificing one of the tone controls would be required.

By research I found out that the very problem with the Varitone circuit could be putting the coils through the f-hole and mounting them firmly into appropriate places. I used the plural "coils" because two coils wired as humbucker and mounted in defined positions will retain the guitar humbucking. Using only one coil would pick up hum and buzz, and that would be even worse due to the significant level loss through the Varitone circuit.

I don't know how they mount it all into the ES-355, but some more knowledgeable forumites might clear this up. The B.B.King "Lucille" doesn't have f-holes and thus an access through a backplate like solidbodies making it all easier.

First, I wonder what exactly you mean talking about upgrading pots. In my opinion the stock pots are fine.

Finding a suitable six-position rotary switch and capacitors small enough to solder them to it in a way allowing to put it all through an f-hole should be possible on principal.

To avoid drilling an additional hole and keep it fully reversible, sacrificing one of the tone controls would be required.

By research I found out that the very problem with the Varitone circuit could be putting the coils through the f-hole and mounting them firmly into appropriate places. I used the plural "coils" because two coils wired as humbucker and mounted in defined positions will retain the guitar humbucking. Using only one coil would pick up hum and buzz, and that would be even worse due to the significant level loss through the Varitone circuit.

I don't know how they mount it all into the ES-355, but some more knowledgeable forumites might clear this up. The B.B.King "Lucille" doesn't have f-holes and thus an access through a backplate like solidbodies making it all easier.

thanks ill look into it before any is done on that part

• 5 months later...

Did you go through with this? Where did you find all the parts. I can not find the 1.5 Henry Inductor. Anyone have a source for an appropriate one?

By the way on the 335s etc the wire goes in through a cavity under the bridge pick up, not through the f-holes from what I know (which aint much!).

Archived