Gibson Brands Forums

DR500 MNS or EL-00 Pro

Zippydog

I really love my DR 500 Masterbilt for its sound and build quality however it's a large guitar.

I really like the look and specifications of the Ltd. Ed. EL-00 Pro Mahogany.

I'm thinking I would play the smaller EL-00 more often which in turn would be benificial to me.

I really do not need both though.

I'm thinking of selling the DR500 to get the EL-00 Pro.

Am I dumb for considering this? Will I regret this later.

What would you do? Anybody here been in this boat before?

I need your counseling.

Thank you.

Personally I wouldn't want to lose the dread. Those are two very different guitars and each would suit different moods and situations. I keep a (none Epiphone) parlour guitar for noodling on the couch in front of the tv and it's great fun, but I would really miss both Masterbilts if I ever let them go.

Do you need to sell the dread to finance the EL-00? If not then maybe buy the parlour and if, six months down the road, you find the dread is just gathering dust then you can sell it on.

I would agree with IR on this. Replacement of the DR at a later date would be more than what you'd get now, I think. They seem to be holding their value, if not increasing.I have had one for a year now and it gets better with time- it's a really good "budget" guitar.

I don't have an EL-00. But I did just buy a Recording King RPH-07 harmonella that I got off of Reverb for only 125.00, and I must say it is a fantastic little parlor guitar. Solid top, bone nut. If you are looking for one on a budget, I think that they had another for the same price.

It really isn't about the cost.

I was trying to be practical about needing more than one acoustic guitar since I play the elec. more often.

Right now I'm leaning towards just purchasing a smaller bodied acoustic and keeping the dread too.

A couple of your responses helped me to see the light about losing a really nice one.

Thanks everybody.

Personally I wouldn't want to lose the dread. Those are two very different guitars...

I totally agree. You need to have both! I play all my guitars, just not all on one day. :rolleyes: The 00 is a very cool little guitar, but Masterbilts are pretty special. Yeah, I think you'd regret selling your DR, even if you end up just playing it sparingly. I wrestle with my Guild jumbo keeping her on my lap, but the tone!

There's an easy solution for you - keep the DR in its case for a while and pick up the EL-00. Win-win! [thumbup]

Archived