Gibson Brands Forums

Need a favor

StRanger7032

Can someone who has a newer SG with factory push/pull pots snap a quick photo of the control cavity? I'm trying to find push/pull pots that are short enough to fit into the modern SG control cavity. I've bought Alpha and CTS ones and they're all too big. I'm wondering what Gibson is using from the factory.

By research I found these and perhaps the 500 kOhms with short shaft are what Gibson used for the 2014 and 2015 SG Standard featuring coil split:

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Potentiometers/CTS_Push_pull_Pots_DPDT.html

That's what they use on the newer Les Pauls. I bought a pair and they're way too big for an SG. They look small in the photo, but they're actually very large. The Gibson short shaft ones above look very similar to the Alpha ones that fit in my G-400 but not my SG. I may have to just buy a set of the Gibson ones and return them if they end up being too big.

I don't have one out of the package so it's not easy to get a good measurement but it looks like this part is about 1 1/8" deep & 7/8" front to back 5/8" wide.

Not sure if the pic will be enough to answer your questions but it might save you a trip.

100_2799_zps0ocvqkrc.jpg

Doug

100_2799_zps0ocvqkrc.jpg

I well imagine that these are the pots Gibson is using in the SGs as Cap mentioned it would seem unlikely that they sourced specific parts for the SGs. I havent seen the inside of one of the SGs with push pulls, but I would think that they altered the route to accommodate the extra few 32's needed.

Personally I would use the Gibson pots....set them in place, mark them (diameter) and then use a small grinding type bit (by hand) to shave just to required areas to make room.

Johnny

I well imagine that these are the pots Gibson is using in the SGs as Cap mentioned it would seem unlikely that they sourced specific parts for the SGs. I havent seen the inside of one of the SGs with push pulls, but I would think that they altered the route to accommodate the extra few 32's needed.

Personally I would use the Gibson pots....set them in place, mark them (diameter) and then use a small grinding type bit (by hand) to shave just to required areas to make room.

Johnny

I thought about routing it, but the control cavity would have to be 1 1/4" deep to accommodate the push/pulls and that's the width of the whole guitar body. I have plenty of coil split humbuckers on other guitars, so I think I'll just leave this one alone unless I find an option that will fit with no mods.

That looks like the right ones there. I've never seen those CTS pots before. I wonder if they were made especially for Gibson. I'll just be patient and wait until I can find two of the pots alone, as I already have a killer custom wiring harness from Brown's Custom Shop in the guitar. Thanks!

Funny story...I had ordered a set of Bourns 500K pots to replace the two remaining mini pots in my '96 Epi LP. They accidentally sent me Bourns 500K push/pull pots instead. I looked at them and realized they might fit in the SG. I had to take out a tiny bit of wood and cut off a little metal flange on the bottom of the pots, but they squeezed in there. The control cover is a bit tight, but it went on. Mission accomplished! Thanks for the help!

20160125_203103_zpstuawz7dg.jpg

Archived