Gibson Brands Forums

Cleaning my SG

Hollycez

Hi everyone! First post here since i got my beautiful SG almost 10 years ago!

I am having some trouble cleaning my SG.

The Lacquer is cloudy even after cleaning it with guitar polish (and removing it with a clean dry cloth as usual), and gets dirty really fast, how can i manage this thing?

Another question for you, how can I clean and rehydrate the Rosewood fingerboard of my guitar? It really needs rehydration and nutrition, which kind of product could I use?

How can I clean the metal parts? They aren't rusty but there are darker spots on them that are difficult to clean.

I'd like it to appear at least cleaner than it is now, it is not in the worst possible conditions, but it is not as I would like it to be, especially the cloudy lacquer and the thing it gets a lot dirty a lot faster than it used to be new...

Thanks!

Hi everyone! First post here since i got my beautiful SG almost 10 years ago!

I am having some trouble cleaning my SG.

The Lacquer is cloudy even after cleaning it with guitar polish (and removing it with a clean dry cloth as usual), and gets dirty really fast, how can i manage this thing?

Another question for you, how can I clean and rehydrate the Rosewood fingerboard of my guitar? It really needs rehydration and nutrition, which kind of product could I use?

How can I clean the metal parts? They aren't rusty but there are darker spots on them that are difficult to clean.

I'd like it to appear at least cleaner than it is now, it is not in the worst possible conditions, but it is not as I would like it to be, especially the cloudy lacquer and the thing it gets a lot dirty a lot faster than it used to be new...

Thanks!

Firstly, what colour is your SG? Black ones show up grease, dings and scratch marks more than other colours.

I would recommend buying the Gibson care kit which you can find at most stores. It has polish, fretboard conditioner and metal cleaner. I myself didn't find the metal cleaner very useful, but the polish and fretboard conditioner is great and I have used these for many years on my instruments.

Here's a link for detils:

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/gibson_clear_bucket_care_kit.asp?gclid=CLma5cDcucoCFSsKwwodzJ8GVA

"The Lacquer is cloudy even after cleaning it with guitar polish"

this I guess is where your skin makes the most frequent contact.

Virtuoso cleaner/polish helps to remove some of this.

http://www.virtuosopolish.com/

for conditioning the fret board, I like this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Gerlitz-GGH-Guitar-Honey-Fingerboard/product-reviews/B000EEJF4O

for the hardware I use a jewlers cleaning solution, comes in a plastic tub, and you just drop the parts in, shake em around a bit, then take em out to dry, this cleaner has a small soft brush to help get dust out the hard to get at areas in for example the bridge.

I like a product called Music Nomad's Guitar One for cleaning and polishing.

I don't disagree with those who recommend the Gibson kit.

Music Nomad has their own kit too, and you can likely pick one up at GC

or online here:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MUN-MN108?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CM3Jjp3IvMoCFQMMaQodim8GSg

I have used a car buffing product called Meguiar's Ultimate compound on my 2012 SG Special '70s tribute...

This guitar came stock with a satin finish on a painted Silverburst. So the automotive buffing compound worked great on this

painted surface. What it did was give the satin finish a little more shine. Not as much as a deep gloss Gibson finish such as you'd

find on an SG Standard or '61 RI... But just a little shiny was fine with me. I hand buffed it until my arms were really tired, and

then rested and did that again. Then I decided it was shiny enough. *laughs

The Meguiar's might work to buff out the cloudy lacquer... or it might not. That's what it's supposed to do on a car finish...

buff out the cloudy look and restore the shine. But I don't think some hand buffing would do any harm. Ten bucks for a

small bottle of Meguiars might be worth it to you, especially if you own an old car. *grins

If you get the Music Nomad kit, you also get their fretboard conditioner, called F-1. This is a good product, and works well

to treat the rosewood. If your guitar's fretboard has been really neglected, and is grimy and coated with deposits of finger

grease and dead skin, you can scrape the grossest gorp off with an expired credit card, or a guitar pick. Lemon oil on a Cue-tip

can clean up the residue after the thickest crud is gone.

Once you've got the fretboard clean, I recommend some stuff called "Fret Doctor..." This stuff was designed for fifes and wooden flutes

(and named "Bore Oil") but once guitarists found out about it, the maker started offering it in bigger bottles with the Fret Doctor logo.

it works great to condition the rosewood. If you've got the F-1 oil mentioned above, you might not need the Fret Doctor. but I like it.

One more product for care of frets and fretboard is called 'Gorgomyte." I like this stuff too, and use it on all my guitars at string change time.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=gorgomyte&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Archived