Gibson Brands Forums

String Gauge

carranoj25

Hey guys, so my SG has 10gauge strings on now. But I am finding that I pick/attack more towards the heavier side. Sometimes my high E string pings out when I pick it. My Ibanez uses 9gauge strings and I pick pretty well on these. Would it be more beneficial to switch my SG to 9 gauge or would 11 gauge be better suited for me? Thanks.

hi

given your tendency to be heavy on the pick hand, either live with the 10s, and try to refine the technique, or try 11s and see if they work out. The only real difference you'll notice is bending, especially the G string. and you might like the added tension/resistance..

you can always go back to 10s.

I think the problem you're having, 9s will probably be more noticeable than 10s.

hi

given your tendency to be heavy on the pick hand, either live with the 10s, and try to refine the technique, or try 11s and see if they work out. The only real difference you'll notice is bending, especially the G string. and you might like the added tension/resistance..

you can always go back to 10s.

I think the problem you're having, 9s will probably be more noticeable than 10s.

Surprisingly, I don't have much of a problem picking the 9s. That's why I am confused. Could be the guitar itself but it feels like a string problem. I think I will try the 11s soon, just to see what they are like

Hey guys, so my SG has 10gauge strings on now. But I am finding that I pick/attack more towards the heavier side. Sometimes my high E string pings out when I pick it. My Ibanez uses 9gauge strings and I pick pretty well on these. Would it be more beneficial to switch my SG to 9 gauge or would 11 gauge be better suited for me? Thanks.

What is "pings out"? I've never had to have a student change gauges because of their picking technique.

rct

Pings out meaning the sound from striking the note just dies right after I pick it.

All over the neck or just up high? All strings or just one or two? Bending or not bending?

Sounds like you are fretting out, which has nothing to do with picking.

rct

Archived