Gibson Brands Forums

Price jump up here in Canada

olie

FYI-the DR500-MCE has just gone to $949 Cdn.! About a year ago they were just over half that price. That's at Long and McCuade,Canada's larger retailer.in musical instruments.I know our dollar has been jonesing but WOW.How are things elsewhere- is this an across the board NAMM price increase?

FYI-the DR500-MCE has just gone to $949 Cdn.! About a year ago they were just over half that price. That's at Long and McCuade,Canada's larger retailer.in musical instruments.I know our dollar has been jonesing but WOW.How are things elsewhere- is this an across the board NAMM price increase?

Just to be accurate -I misspelled the company name. It should be Long and McQuade.

Yeah, right now there's about a thirty cent difference between the US and Canadian dollar, so I'm not surprised at the jump. Plus, prices of many Epiphones in the US just increased as well, so double wammy on many models, I'm sure.

Red 333

Yep, the same over here in Oz. Price increases plus the exchange rate is not in our favour.

It is getting more and more difficult I feel. Having said that I did pull the trigger on a J-45TV recently but only because the discount I got was close to 25% in comparison with other retailers discounted offers.

Yeah, right now there's about a thirty cent difference between the US and Canadian dollar, so I'm not surprised at the jump. Plus, prices of many Epiphones in the US just increased as well, so double wammy on many models, I'm sure.

Red 333

The thing is, Red, that the exchange rate has been this way vs. the $US for some time, and there was a large adjustment some time ago when the spread widened.It appears that a lot of Epiphones are now going head to head with their more expensive cousins Gibson guitars which bodes poorly for Epiphone as a less expensive alternative.I'm not sure if Gibson prices have risen the equivalent percentage which would make more sense. Anyone have the answer to that?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to our previous inept,deceitful,autocratic,mendacious Prime Minister,the Canadian dollar is in the toilet and is now worth less than $0.70 U.S.I've had a few bad cases of sticker shock in the past little while when ordering things from the U.S. ,a few days ago a T-shirt order that was $30 U.S.cost me almost $60 Canadian by the time it got here and to top it off,last week I ordered some coffee from a supplier who I've dealt with before and I ended up paying almost $120 Canadian for a coffee order that used to cost me $80-the prices hadn't changed,but thanks to the declining Canadian dollar value,I ended up paying through the nose,I dread finding out what a $250 pedal I'm ordering from the U.S. is going to cost me by the time it gets to me.Until the Canadian dollar gains more stability and equity on the international money markets,those of us North of the border will be paying through the nose for the gear that we used to get pretty well on par with what American musicians were paying.One thing that's really ironic is that a Canadian made vehicle that's exported to the U.S. for sale,is far cheaper in the U.S. than it is in Canada-of course it has been that way for years (which consumer support groups have said there is no other reason for it other than chiseling and profiteering by Canadian manufacturers and dealers),I think that more and more Canadian musicians will be hitting the pawn shops and e-bay etc. for deals in used gear until all of this blows over-if it ever does.

Another spin-off from the weak Can. dollar is the effect it's having on promoters booking American acts.Some can't afford them any more so Canadian fans have to take a pass on some great American talent which used to perform up here on a regular basis.

I kinda wonder about this stuff. Being an American in America, it doesn't SEEM to hit home when exchange rates change, but something has to give at some point.

I can say, for those in other countries, in the US of A, there has been considerable inflation and price hikes across the board on all most all products, and lots of it due to political reasons and "policies" coming due and taking effect. Inevitable stuff.

As for the exchange rate, I wonder if, for instance, is the US dollar getting stronger, or the Canadian dollar tanking?

I know this: Things are changing FAST. What I don't know is if the current exchange rate is a temporary thing or more permanent.

I think that the difference in the exchange rate maybe partially due the US dollar getting stronger but the biggest culprit is the tanking of the Canadian dollar that was largely due to the financial mismanagement of the Harper administration,which after spending over 10 years in power really managed to make a complete balls of Canada's financial standing on world markets.The worst thing is that the new Trudeau government will have to spend and devote much of their time untangling the financial mess that was Harper's legacy,time that they should have been able to devote to social programs and our military,which are 2 more things that Harper & company managed to mismanage to a disgraceful degree.

At the risk of turning this into a political screed I think that the main reason for the drop in the Canadian dollar is the fall in oil prices. We're a resource-based economy up here and our dollar rises with an increase in oil prices and vice versa.We have always sold off our natural resources and bought finished products from countries which took, what they bought cheaply from us, and added value to it (see Japan).It's a byproduct of being a huge country with a small population; plus it's easier to take the quick money than to invest in industries that utilize our dwindling raw materials.The upside of this is that what we sell gives us a trade balance in our favor.

Archived