Gibson Brands Forums

What is the name of this Gibson?

Hello, and welcome here, mate. [thumbup]

Pretty guitar you have there! [love] I think she's a Les Paul Special DC (for double cutaway) but I'm not sure about the correct denomination of the finish - I guess they called it Cinnamon. Perhaps one of our esteemed experts like Charlie Brown will chime in here and clear that up. He owns some of these, and possibly one of them is of the same colour. I just looked at yours and his, but hues shown on photos via screen may play tricks on me.

I think what's interesting here, is what to call it.

Around this time, Gibson was changing names...in particular these types. So what GIBSON calls it and what WE might call it is a point of interest. For a few guitars of this product line, Gibson was just plain "wrong" in what they decided to name the guitars.

Basically, the difference between a traditional Jr. or a Special is the number of pickups, and binding on the neck. Other than that, they are essentially the same guitar. And in particular, when they are ACTUALLY the traditional body shape and construction as the originals. Which was single-cut, then double cut, like this one.

At one point, Gibson made a guitar they called the "Junior Special", which was the most correct way to describe a guitar that had 2 pups but no binding, cause it was a little of both.

So, is it a 2 pup Junior or a Special without binding? You decide. That might be the most "proper" way to describe what the guitar ACTUALLY is.

As for what Gibson calls it and if the description matches the guitar, who knows?

As for what Gibson calls it and if the description matches the guitar, who knows?

Well as I said its a Les Paul Junior Lite... that's what they called it.. In this case there is at least one clear difference with the mini trapezoids...

And yes I agree that their naming gets confusing..

They did a model a short while back just to make things even more confusing calling it a Junior Special.. and it had binding on the neck which I think looks really cool..

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Junior-Special-P90.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Junior-Special-Humbucker.aspx

I agree with Rabs and the others.

Les Paul Junior Lite.

Made in Nashville in 2001.

September 21st, 2001

Production Number: 326

Double cutaway, Tune-o-matic bridge, cherry gloss finish, mini-trapezoid markers, dual P-100 pickups.

Great guitar!!

:)

Archived