Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES - 175 D 1976 ???

Gox0405

Hi ! I am trying to find if this guitar is the "real deal". Can you guys hellp me ?

I want to know if this is an Original 1976 Gibson ES 175 made in Kalamazoo factory.

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

The headstock has some scars under the tuners, they were changed. I never saw ES-175 with those nickled tuners before, i've always saw those with pearlish buttons.

The guitar does not have the Gibson sticker inside of her either. The owner wrote his name on the headstock bell... Nad Installed a jack plate.

So, what do you think ??

Hi ! I am trying to find if this guitar is the "real deal". Can you guys hellp me ?

I want to know if this is an Original 1976 Gibson ES 175 made in Kalamazoo factory.

It looks legit to me, but then again, I have very little experience with an ES-175.

It is certainly a well-used player's guitar.

How much does the seller want for it?

:mellow:

Hello Gox, and welcome to the board.

The metal head tuners may have been stock then. I can only guess why the huge jack plate had been mounted. Perhaps a structural damage? Doesn't look to me, but if she was a nice player and the price was OK, then why not? The truss-rod bell is no big deal; it can be replaced with a new one.

She looks clearly legit to me, but I wouldn't consider her an investment. Tone, playability, and value for money would make my decision.

Hope this helps.

This looks to be a mid-70s Norlin era ES175 (with 3-piece neck) which has been stripped and also refretted, as there do not seem to be any 'nibs'.

The bridge is non-standard and looks like a Schaller; note the black tapewound strings, heavy La Bellas.

The jack plate mod is probably because it got damaged. The 175 jack socket is simply screwed into a hole in the laminated side of the guitar and if you remove the metal plate I expect you might see some signs of previous damage.

Mounting the socket on a big plate like that obviously solved the problem! IMO the tuners are not the originals.

It would not be surprising if, having had those mods, the pickups were also changed.

As they say, a player's guitar.

Regards!

Yes, its very well used.

Well, i am from Brazil, ES-175 are very dificullt to find here,i cant find them on styores, and those vintage ones are very rare !! The guy is asking R$ 15,000 reais, something like U$ 4,000 dollars, VERY expensive.

I never saw another vintage 175, that one sounds amazing.

But i found another 2 ES -175, one from 1993 and another from 1996, i will post some pics here, if you guys could hellpme pick one, it would be great !!!

... those vintage ones are very rare !! The guy is asking R$ 15,000 reais, something like U$ 4,000 dollars, VERY expensive.

I never saw another vintage 175...

But i found another 2 ES -175, one from 1993 and another from 1996...

There is nothing "vintage" about a mid-70's 175, or any other Gibson for that matter. This was not a good time for Gibson.

The $4000 U.S. conversion is way out of line, I know there is a premium to be paid to find one in Brazil, but this era 175 would sell for around $2000 in the States. With the damage and mods, this one would be even less.

Maybe one of the others will turn out to be a better value, with equal, or better, sound and playability.

The $4000 U.S. conversion is way out of line, I know there is a premium to be paid to find one in Brazil, but this era 175 would sell for around $2000 in the States. With the damage and mods, this one would be even less.

Got it. For curiosity, which was the best era for those ES-175 ??

Yes, its very well used.

Well, i am from Brazil, ES-175 are very dificullt to find here,i cant find them on styores, and those vintage ones are very rare !! The guy is asking R$ 15,000 reais, something like U$ 4,000 dollars, VERY expensive.

I never saw another vintage 175, that one sounds amazing.

But i found another 2 ES -175, one from 1993 and another from 1996, i will post some pics here, if you guys could hellpme pick one, it would be great !!!

There is nothing "vintage" about a mid-70's 175, or any other Gibson for that matter. This was not a good time for Gibson.

Maybe one of the others will turn out to be a better value, with equal, or better, sound and playability.

All other things being equal, I would probably choose one of the newer guitars, rather than a very used one from a period that did not represent the best Gibson can produce.

Got it. For curiosity, which was the best era for those ES-175 ??

Just want to re-state, what these guys say, I also agree with.

What's kinda odd, personally I would go for a 70's, but that's because they would be CHEAPER, not more expensive. And of corse, I would want to be trying it, it wouldn't be a given it was something I wanted.

90's in a Gibson archtop are worth looking at.

.... For curiosity, which was the best era for those ES-175 ??

Like all manufactured products, there are good ones and bad ones from any era. As archtops are not mass produced, say like LP's and SG's, and the design and construction has not really changed since it's inception, the variations and fluctuations in QC are a little less. That said, each individual instrument, regardless of date/era of construction, should be evaluated on it's own merit. Comparison to other available examples of the same instrument is also always helpful, but not always possible.

I think that after you play a few you'll get a good feel for what you're looking for in a 175, and one of them may even "speak" to you.

Archived