Gibson Brands Forums

Is it bad for my 50w JCM 900 to only ever play it at bedroom levels?

machine

I used to gig a lot and absolutely loved my 50W Marshall JCM900. But even playing live, for most venues, I would use the 25W setting. Now I don't gig anymore (I probably will in the future), so I only get to play the amp at home, where I can't turn the volume past 1-1.5.

I know that I don't get the amazing sound by not driving the tubes enough and a good solid state or smaller tube amp would maybe even sound better at these leves, but is it in any way bad for the amp, to never turn up the volume?

That's fine. It won't hurt the amp. [thumbup]

badbluesplayer is correct.

Playing your JCM at lower volume levels won't hurt it a bit, nor will it affect how well it plays at higher volumes later one.

That said, if you want to 'blow the carbon out of it a bit' at some point or another, I can only recommend that you rent yourself out to the neighbors every now and then.

What you can do is advertise yourself as "Machine's Paint-Stripping Service".

Find some nearby customers who have paint peeling and flaking off of their old houses, and you can plug-in and set yourself up with the amp facing the offending structure or surface.

Crank it up to 9, roll the gain and distortion up a bit, and then blast some AC/DC or Black Sabbath songs, really loudly.

In a few minutes, all the paint will be knocked off, and the bare surfaces of the house will be ready for repainting.

[scared][laugh] :unsure:

badbluesplayer is correct.

Playing your JCM at lower volume levels won't hurt it a bit, nor will it affect how well it plays at higher volumes later one.

That said, if you want to 'blow the carbon out of it a bit' at some point or another, I can only recommend that you rent yourself out to the neighbors every now and then.

What you can do is advertise yourself as "Machine's Paint-Stripping Service".

Find some nearby customers who have paint peeling and flaking off of their old houses, and you can plug-in and set yourself up with the amp facing the offending structure or surface.

Crank it up to 9, roll the gain and distortion up a bit, and then blast some AC/DC or Black Sabbath songs, really loudly.

In a few minutes, all the paint will be knocked off, and the bare surfaces of the house will be ready for repainting.

[scared][laugh] :unsure:

Is that what they call "Sound pressure washing"?

Archived