Gibson Brands Forums

EJ-200CES Nut Slot Height?

Roger...

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to the forum. I have three Stratocasters and have been doing my own setups for many years. However recently I have purchased a new Epiphone EJ-200CES acoustic guitar. The first acoustic I've had for about 40 years so need a bit of info from you experts out there.

Following purchase I was feeling that the action was too high to be comfortable. At the 12th fret it measured 8/64's (6th string) and 6/64's (1st string). A bit of careful sanding of the bridge saddle bought this down to 7/64's (6th) and 5/64's (1st) which is Epiphone recommended.

The measurement between the top of the 1st fret and the underside of the 6th string is 0.032" and 0.026" for the 1st string.

Putting a Capo across the 3rd fret and taking these measurements again gave me 0.010" on 6th string and 0.009" on the 1st.

Am I right in thinking that these are a tad high? I have done as much research as I can and all the articles I can find seem to indicate that they should be a bit lower.

Your thoughts please?

Kind regards

Roger

Hi, I have cut a few nuts in my time, they generally seem too high and if a F chord (not barred) is anything but creamy I get the file out. But as in all things, be careful. Don't go at it all at once and make sure you keep the angle away from the neck so you don't end up screwing up the intonation or getting a funny buzz. Or take it to a tech.

The action of your EJ-200SCE seems indeed a tad high at the nut, especially concerning the treble side; 12th-fret action seems nominal.

Gibson's official acoustic specifications are as follows:

• 1st fret treble side - 1/64" (0.396875mm)
  • 1st fret bass side - 2/64" (0.79375mm)
  • 12th fret treble side - 5/64" (1.98438mm)
  • 12th fret bass side - 7/64" (2.77812mm)

If a file doesn't do the trick, a luthier definitely would. Before you do anything, though, I'd recommend to properly adjust the truss rod first and recheck the string heights.

Hi Mickthemiller and Leonard,

Thank you both very much for your useful replies. By your answers you both seem to think the nut slots are a bit high so maybe I need to purchase some nut files. I have never done nut filing before but as a retired engineer I don't feel that it would be too much of a problem to me so perhaps I'll give it a go.

Many thanks.

Roger

Hi Mickthemiller and Leonard,

Thank you both very much for your useful replies. By your answers you both seem to think the nut slots are a bit high so maybe I need to purchase some nut files. I have never done nut filing before but as a retired engineer I don't feel that it would be too much of a problem to me so perhaps I'll give it a go.

Many thanks.

Roger

Take a look at YouTube and see if there are any tips. I have just filed off some sharp fret ends on a new guitar and I found a great tip for filing them on YouTube. Good luck but take care. You should also learn the super glue and dust trick! I'll let you look that up. Just Google nut filing/lowering

Thanks for that. I have been combing YouTube for years for tips and items of interest regarding guitars and have also seen the super glue and dust trick. There are some very good tips on there but sometimes I get a bit confused when the 'experts' on there seem to get opposite views. A great place to get information from though, so as in the end we can compare then make up our own mind which info we want to use.

I'm just toying with the idea of:-

(1) Going to the expense of purchasing some nut files to do a one-off adjustment.

(2) Taking the guitar to my friendly Luthier for him to do it for me (probably less expense).

(3) Leaving it as it is as it is only marginally high at the nut.

Hmmmm....... Thinking about it.

My 2 cents worth.

Marginally too high is still too high. If it's uncomfortable to play it will spoil your enjoyment of your new guitar and quite possibly, over time, lead to you playing it less.

Decent nut files are relatively expensive, especially for a one off job, and IMHO give 6 separate opportunities to mess up, unlike the simple job of sanding down a saddle. Go see your friendly neighborhood luthier and get the job done right first time.

Best of luck whatever you decide and enjoy your new Epiphone. [biggrin]

My 2 cents worth.

Marginally too high is still too high. If it's uncomfortable to play it will spoil your enjoyment of your new guitar and quite possibly, over time, lead to you playing it less.

Decent nut files are relatively expensive, especially for a one off job, and IMHO give 6 separate opportunities to mess up, unlike the simple job of sanding down a saddle. Go see your friendly neighborhood luthier and get the job done right first time.

Best of luck whatever you decide and enjoy your new Epiphone. [biggrin]

Thanks for your reply. I may just send the Luthier an email with the details to see what he thinks and take it from there.

Unless you bought used and the former owner had it set up higher, I'm surprised.

Mine came very low out of the box.

You may want to consider taking to a luthier for a proper set up before filing away at the nut.

It may need some fret leveling, and a neck adjustment as well.

Unless you bought used and the former owner had it set up higher, I'm surprised.

Mine came very low out of the box.

You may want to consider taking to a luthier for a proper set up before filing away at the nut.

It may need some fret leveling, and a neck adjustment as well.

The guitar was purchased brand new (out of the box) a few weeks ago. I have emailed my Luthier and he has given me the guideline measurements he works to from the manufactures. From the top of the 1st fret to the underside of my 6th string is spot-on and from the top of the 1st fret to the underside of my 1st string is just a tad high. Not really enough to have any attention. He says that he only adjusts the nut height for a customer after everything else been checked (fret-levelling, neck relief, neck angle etc., and only does it as part of a full pro set-up.

The guitar was purchased brand new (out of the box) a few weeks ago. I have emailed my Luthier and he has given me the guideline measurements he works to from the manufactures. From the top of the 1st fret to the underside of my 6th string is spot-on and from the top of the 1st fret to the underside of my 1st string is just a tad high. Not really enough to have any attention. He says that he only adjusts the nut height for a customer after everything else been checked (fret-levelling, neck relief, neck angle etc., and only does it as part of a full pro set-up.

It makes sense to check the usual suspects first (especially in terms of neck relief) before filing away at the nut which is irreversible in and of itself. Even though I find luthier work to be very affordable these days, it sounds like a straightforward job if you have the neck properly adjusted (the Ovation Owners Manual explains that procedure nicely) and the nut files ready at hand.

It makes sense to check the usual suspects first (especially in terms of neck relief) before filing away at the nut which is irreversible in and of itself. Even though I find luthier work to be very affordable these days, it sounds like a straightforward job if you have the neck properly adjusted (the Ovation Owners Manual explains that procedure nicely) and the nut files ready at hand.

Thanks for the link to the manual. The rest of the guitar is set-up ok regarding relief, neck angle, action, etc. (not fret-level checked though). I do not own any nut files so I think it would be a rather expensive exercise for a very small nut adjustment. I am thinking in the not too distant future that I might have a full pro-set-up done by my Luthier friend so will probably wait until then.

Archived