Gibson Brands Forums

prototype guitar

desertshuttle

howdy all! got a 1952 es125 z2143 27 it has two p90s instead of one as the 52 does. the 125d didnt come out until 1957,and didnt they have a cutaway by then ? when i got the guitar the guys father worked at the kallamazoo plant and im getting the documents he has from the plant so does that make this better for value standards? please i need knowledge,I want to sell it for the best price. thanks!post-76604-025817700 1453966283_thumb.jpg

Howdy. Any antique documentation solidifies value, though maybe doesn't increase it. A rarity or special version of a stock model however will give it a boost. I can't offer any dollar value but it seems like it would be a good move to have it appraised. Top guitar geek George Gruhn can get you moving on it, but it'll run you 50 bucks to send pics and paperwork.

I'm thinking the ES-125 never got the cutaway, but higher end models did.

http://guitars.com/

Generally speaking, "odd" models do not add to value, and in most cases, detract from value. Regardless of provenance, most players and collectors want the "standard" model, which is also where the "market demand" is, and "demand" is what sets the "value".

I kinda agree with Jedzep, but in this case, it WILL matter, because without documentation, or good, solid proof, this is a modified guitar which will likely make it worth a bit less. Or a lot, depending on what it's worth in the first place.

What might offset that though, is what the electronics are in this. If they are "period correct", or truly 50's P-90's with the correct harness, there's a little extra value and desirability there.

So yes, if you can get documentation or proof it left the factory this way, get it.

Generally speaking, "odd" models do not add to value, and in most cases, detract from value. Regardless of provenance, most players and collectors want the "standard" model, which is also where the "market demand" is, and "demand" is what sets the "value".

My gut feeling is that this is a regular 125 with an added second pickup. The second set of pots don't look located correctly.

It wouldn't have had a tune-o-matic either but that could have been an easy switch at any time.

I think these are both true as well.

I think from where it is now, this is a "hacked" guitar, or non-original. And the knob placement is a clue. Note also, non-original parts, so THIS guitar isn't solidly in the "collectors" category.

Don't take this as gospel or an appraisal, but as it is now, I don't think ES-125's are selling for all that much these days, or getting "collectors" money. I think most that are buying and using them are getting them mostly for the P-90 tone, and the P-90 tone in a "vintage" guitar such as what these offer.

Again, I think it's vital to check the pups and the harness to see what these pups are. As the guitar sits now, THAT is suspect, because on the face of it a "modified" guitar may very well have later pickups in it.

You forgot ES-125KSD.

Ha ha.

Here's an ES-125KSD. Started off as a 1959 ES-125T with 1/8" of stain/varnish, probably done in a junior high shop class in the 70s. It now sports NO finish whatsoever and feels nicely bare naked. It'd be better if I had a rusty nickel tailpiece instead of the Allparts gold. oh well.

It also has a holly headstock overlay with pearl Gibson logo leftover from K'zoo. Incorrect but looks sharp.

2qu23ie.jpg

Howdy. Any antique documentation solidifies value, though maybe doesn't increase it. A rarity or special version of a stock model however will give it a boost. I can't offer any dollar value but it seems like it would be a good move to have it appraised. Top guitar geek George Gruhn can get you moving on it, but it'll run you 50 bucks to send pics and paperwork.

I'm thinking the ES-125 never got the cutaway, but higher end models did.

http://guitars.com/

thanx for your input man

howdy all! got a 1952 es125 z2143 27 it has two p90s instead of one as the 52 does. the 125d didnt come out until 1957,and didnt they have a cutaway by then ? when i got the guitar the guys father worked at the kallamazoo plant and im getting the documents he has from the plant so does that make this better for value standards? please i need knowledge,I want to sell it for the best price. thanks!post-76604-025817700 1453966283_thumb.jpg

Ive owned quite a few of those... Normal Es 125 D..

This is not a "normal" ES125D. As ksdaddy pointed out, it's an ES125 that has been modified with an added pickup, a new/custom pickguard, a tune-o-matic, and new vol/tone knobs (originals were a slightly different color, as can be seen in the photos ksdaddy posted above).

As for the value, find the current market value of an old ES125 in similar cosmetic condition, and subtract about 30 to 50 percent (it's going to be subjective as to how much the value has been decreased).

That's it. It's not rocket science.

Archived