Gibson Brands Forums

Seventh chords of the minor scale

Hello!

Please find a chord chart of seventh chords of the minor scale below. Three options I am showing for each type of chord. The roman numbers indicate the degree of the (harmonic) minor scale the chord is based on. In parenthesis, You'll find it's name, and the chord sign.

seventh_chords_of_minor1_zpsucj7lpxt.png

seventh_chords_of_minor2_zpslgrepelz.png

seventh_chords_of_minor3_zpstjjgbyvi.png

All are in the key of A-minor.

Cheers... Bence

• 4 months later...

seventh_chords_of_minor1_zpsucj7lpxt.png

seventh_chords_of_minor2_zpslgrepelz.png

seventh_chords_of_minor3_zpstjjgbyvi.png

I found that the dominant 7 shape can also translate to a minor7b9 (II chord) or the major9#5 (I Chord)

The Minor 7b5 shape can translate to the dominant #11/13 (V chord) or a minor 6 as a (II chord)

perfect lesson for a beginner.

I found that the dominant 7 shape can also translate to a minor7b9 (II chord) or the major9#5 (I Chord)

The chords shown here are seventh chords - built from four notes with an interval of thirds between them. Overall interval is a seventh between the first and the last note. The minor7b9 chord is an extended chord with another step added to the basic seventh chord. You are right: In key of A-minor, the E minor7b9 chord is an extended variant of the basic dominant seventh with an added minor third, the note F.

The Minor 7b5 shape can translate to the dominant #11/13 (V chord) or a minor 6 as a (II chord)

The D minor 6th chord is the first inversion of B minor 7b5 chord - with D in root position.

Would You show me an example on Dominant 13/#11 chord in key of A-minor?

Best wishes... Bence

You can use in A minor(Dorian) D13/#11(V chord) sounds great!

The notes in dominant chords only fall on thirds if it is a seven note scale.

Hello Goldtop2!

It's this chord?

OwE8kLYIFIB.9alxVum8ng_m.jpg

...or this?

jbCRbhdO-Y.HGRHZtEW2Fg.jpg

Thanks! Bence

Ah, ok. It looks like it, the shape moved one string higher.

jbCRbhdO-Y.HGRHZtEW2Fg.jpg

...and in 5th position it fits the key of A-minor.

Bence.

Take the 2 notes on the "B" and "G" string and move them up 1 whole step. Take the low D note out.

D13/#11 = G#min7b5

It seemed appropriate to illustrate this with the shapes that you posted.

Gibson owners seem to utilize chord shapes. Such as the CAGED idea Les Paul brought into it.

Well.

G# minor 7b5 chord doesn't fits the key of A-minor, as seventh chords are structured around the harmonic minor scale, not the melodic. It's notes are G#-B-D-F#. It fits the key of F#-minor.

D13#11 notes are: D-F#-A-C-E-G#-B. Fits F#-minor as well.

Bence.

Well.

G# minor 7b5 chord doesn't fits the key of A-minor, as seventh chords are structured around the harmonic minor scale, not the melodic. It's notes are G#-B-D-F#. It fits the key of F#-minor.

D13#11 notes are: D-F#-A-C-E-G#-B. Fits F#-minor as well.

Bence.

It's a shape idea.

I was just illustrating the similarities of the Dominant voicings you originally posted.

These shapes are used as not just dominant but also Maj9#5 and min6 ect.

You could get to a B7 in a "A" minor(Dorian) frame. This chord could be a Maj9#5 in disguise.

Yes, lot of weird things happen as some seventh chords are not possible to play in the proper ascending order of notes on a guitar. We have to use inversions instead. This results 5/6 and 3/4 chords.

Bence.

Yes, lot of weird things happen as some seventh chords are not possible to play in the proper ascending order of notes on a guitar. We have to use inversions instead. This results 5/6 and 3/4 chords.

Bence.

A min(Dorian)

you get 13/#11(Minor7b5 shape)

this is achieved by adding notes to your natural minor(Dorian) or Mixolydian.

This belongs to another thread though.

13/#11/9 is a dominant shape as well.

So D13/#11/9 = E7(shape) literally E7b13(#5)

Archived