Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement pickup size issues

albinomeatpod

I have a 2002 (ish) Epiphone LP, it has no model markings, from current models I'd assume a LP Std PlusTop Pro as it has a beautiful flame top, wine coloured, and having a major problem fitting a new pickup

I had a boutique build done last year for a replacement humbucker for an 80's strat I own, when buying it in the 90's was told it was a Seymour Duncan pup but on removing it to fit the new pup it turned out to be a vintage Gibson pup so I thought that relocating that into one of my Epi LP's would be a nice touch. That's a bridge pup and for the Epi LP neck I had a new '59 spec pup built by the guy who built the new one for the strat. The guy who does all my electrical work phone earlier in week to say that there's major issues with the changeover, the Epi bridge pup, Gibson pup and replacement neck pup all measure 50mm E to E across the poles but the Epi neck pup measures 47mm, the lugs for the new pup aren't fitting into the cavity properly and the E strings are way off the poles. It looks like I got a Friday guitar because the bridge isn't sitting dead on with the pickups, we're trying to work our way around this with the Gibson pup for the bridge but the neck pup is just too far off to be fixed so I've had a pup built which should just drop in perfectly but the guitar appears to be some weird mutant which escaped from the Korean test lab with a deformed midget neck pup/fitting and wrongly mounted bridge, none of which was apparent until attempting the upgrade this week. The funny thing is that the guy doing the work said that despite all of this the intonation is bang on perfect, he was expecting it to be all over the place

Was hoping someone on here could make some kind of sense of this

Do you have some pics of the guitar and details in question to link them here?

I don't have the guitar/parts, the guy who does all my work has them all at the moment and he doesn't live in the same city as me, he's going to try to bring them in tomorrow to show me the issues

Re the guitar, I bought it second hand in 2004 from the manager of a hifi shop in my city, he'd bought it new from the music shop next door to them, I think the staff from both went next door to spend their wages.

I actually gave it to my cousins teenage daughter last year but asked her for it back as a swap for my Epi LP Custom Pro silverburst so she now has that. I also have the Epi LP Std '56 Pro which I think is the pick of the bunch, the C neck and P90's make it the best straight out of the box guitar I've ever owned, imo

Tried to upload photos but it's not playing nice, also emailed Epiphone re the pickups and no reply, reassuring

I also own an Epi LP Custom Pro and have had the pickups fitted to that instead, both guitars are being returned to me tomorrow and we'll see whether it's worked out ok

Tried to upload photos but it's not playing nice, ...

The memory space per member for attachments is only 500 kB here. It is best to use an account created at a cloud photo provider, upload the pics there and paste the IMG links into your post.

Guitars came back today and all's well now

Vintage Gibson pup in bridge of the Epi LP Custom Pro, the '58 boutique build in neck, the guy doing the work found an old set of Gotoh humbuckers in his shed, 50mm/47mm, overwound, and put those into the older Epi LP

I'll link to some photos once I put them online

Archived