Gibson Brands Forums

Your Favorite Amp EVER!

JayinLA

Here's an 18 watt screamer that my partner built into an old Bell and Howell film projector chassis. I did most of the cabinet work. He designed the circuit and built the amp itself. It's a little too hot right now but we'll get it tamed. It sounds awesome so far.

20160627_173517_zpstdmy2x7w.jpg20160627_200113_zpsc45auwlj.jpg20160627_173840_zpsdvopftqq.jpg20160622_150605_zpsi2holphi.jpg

that really looks great. i'd love to hear it.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I have held off for a very long time posting in this thread because I have so many great amps that it's been very hard for me to pick "one" as a favorite over all the others. Like guitars, I think having a variety of amps is just as essential to keeping the creativity flowing. But after months of thinking about it- if I had to give up all but one - I've decided my Top Hat Ambassador 35 would be the one I'd have to keep. It does sparkly clean, great crunch, and takes all pedals & guitars with a great palette of sweet as hell tones & textures. It came standard with a a pair of 12's (Celestion Vintage 30 and a Jensen C12N) They just perfectly compliment one another. I also have Top Hat's Club Royale 2x12 in the same color tolex and a 1x12 Club Deluxe in white tolex. These are great amps! Here's a couple pics for your enjoyment:

TopHatAmbassador35front_zpsrabuzvdy.jpg

TopHatAmbassador35Top_zpsm9ofonde.jpg

I've decided my Top Hat Ambassador 35 would be the one I'd have to keep...

Sweet!

So can I ask, Rev; is it (as it's looks suggest) a sort-of Bluesbreaker variation and, if so, do you have a Marshall version amongst your inventory (there's no other word for it!) against which you can make a comparison and, if so, how do they differ!

Sorry for all the questions but, hey, you know....

[thumbup]

Pip.

PS; I'm still absolutely and utterly loving the D'Angelico that your post made me buy....lol!

BBP's 18-watt looks like a real goodie....

and Rev...that is a Rolls-Royce of amp combos but I'm not clear on what the 'cut' does?

I'll let my friend Wayne answer that:

"The most common "cut" control wiring, like in a Vox AC15 or AC30, which is also used in some amps that are based on those amps, like some Matchless and Dr Z designs, puts a pot and a cap between the two wires which are the input to the power tubes. The signals on those two wires are out of phase. With the cut control turned to zero, nothing happens. As the cut control is turned, the pot mixes more and more of the signal from one of those wires, through the cap, to the other side. The signals on both those wires are out of phase, so you get phase cancellation of the frequencies above the value that the cap passes through (like in a tone control, bigger value cap gives a darker sound and smaller value cap gives a less-dark sound when the cut control is in use). So the net effect is that a cut control is a tone control on the power section, that rolls off highs as you turn it more, and does nothing when you turn it to zero. As an aside, the cut control is one step away from one of the main types of post phase inverter master volumes - if you just have the pot there and no cap to control which frequencies get cancelled, you've got a master volume control like the ones used in current Voxes and Matchlesses - with the control to zero nothing happens, but as you turn it, more and more of the signal is cancelled because you're mixing two out of phase signals, thus reducing the sound."

:)

Sweet!

So can I ask, Rev; is it (as it's looks suggest) a sort-of Bluesbreaker variation and, if so, do you have a Marshall version amongst your inventory (there's no other word for it!) against which you can make a comparison and, if so, how do they differ!

Sorry for all the questions but, hey, you know....

[thumbup]

Pip.

PS; I'm still absolutely and utterly loving the D'Angelico that your post made me buy....lol!

That I made you buy.. [biggrin] Lol

Hello everyone. My name is Dave and I am an amp-o-holic.

Yes as a matter of fact I do own a Marshall Bluesbreaker as well [blush] You know I never thought about similarities between those two amps & never did a side-by-side A/B shootout between the two before, however - because it's Sunday and I made no plans today - I'm going to do a shootout with them so I can better answer your question :) It's a dirty job but someone has to do it.. sighhh [lol] Photos to follow.

MarshallBluesbreakerTopHatAmbassadorShootout_zpsgziaw3xg.jpg

Okay - let's get this party started [thumbup] Back afterwhile :)

I was gone longer than I planned because I had a ball. I forgot all about having a shoot out & just played my guts out. These two amps have different personalities & voices (both juicy mind you) The greenbacks in the Marshall Bluesbreaker have that distinctive Marshall tone that is to die for. And the Top Hat with it's Vintage 30 & Jensen speakers are able to capture some of the Vox tones & Marshally (yes I made that word up) vibe too but to be honest - it has it's own unique voice too. I hooked up an A/B pedal and with eyes closed you could easily tell the difference between the two. The good news is both amps are just plain killer tone machines. Now if you'll excuse me - I hear them calling [drool]

...Now if you'll excuse me - I hear them calling [drool]...

[thumbup]

That's all I needed; "Buy them both! Your wife will think they are both much the same but you can tell her they sound REALLY different!!!!..."

Thanks, Rev, and good to hear you had a blast with the experiment!

[laugh]

P.

Archived