Gibson Brands Forums

Your Favorite Amp EVER!

JayinLA

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Fender type amps. I just "finished" one yesterday that's like a Tweed Deluxe but it's more powerful and less flabby. It's the baddest thing I've heard in a while. Similar to the "Tweedle Dee" amp built by Dumble for Kenny Wayne Shepherd -

It has higher voltages, more and bigger filter stages, a slightly brighter tone on both channels and a Weber Greenback type speaker. And an adjustable phase inverter, which lets you get overtones that are only there with the right adjustment. The downside of that is you have to adjust it when you change out the phase inverter tube if you want the right nirvana.

Maybe I'll try to do a demo but that's lots of work. If I can ever stop fiddling with the thing. [thumbup]

Here's a couple of pix.

20160201_114739_zps8re9fl9c.jpg20160201_114849_zps70yyuz9p.jpg20160201_124309_zpspwtdgske.jpg20160201_123242_zpsmi8f3sni.jpg

1962 Fender Bassman head, a Fender Reverb tank, pumping 4 10" Celestrons.

I have one with the 6 x 10 Cab. 1970 that I want to sell or trade if anyone wants one with original spec. My amp guy says less than 500 hours on original tubes, and cleaned up to look like 1970 was yesterday. I will post pics if anyone wants to PM me.

Guest Farnsbarns

I like Fender type amps. I just "finished" one yesterday that's like a Tweed Deluxe but it's more powerful and less flabby. It's the baddest thing I've heard in a while. Similar to the "Tweedle Dee" amp built by Dumble for Kenny Wayne Shepherd -

It has higher voltages, more and bigger filter stages, a slightly brighter tone on both channels and a Weber Greenback type speaker. And an adjustable phase inverter, which lets you get overtones that are only there with the right adjustment. The downside of that is you have to adjust it when you change out the phase inverter tube if you want the right nirvana.

Maybe I'll try to do a demo but that's lots of work. If I can ever stop fiddling with the thing. [thumbup]

Here's a couple of pix.

20160201_114739_zps8re9fl9c.jpg20160201_114849_zps70yyuz9p.jpg20160201_124309_zpspwtdgske.jpg20160201_123242_zpsmi8f3sni.jpg

Very interesting. I'm sure I'm telling you stuff you knew while I was in shorts but for the benefit of others...

Even order harmonics,considered the source of all evil to hifI buffs are cancelled out in double ended / class ab / push pull amps, by design, and this makes them very desirable in the hifi world. These harmonics are generally considered desirable from guitar amps. It seems Mr Dumble has made it possible to off set the phase inverter creating a stronger signal in half of the output transformer, preventing the full cancellation of these even order harmonics. A little bit like having slugs in half of a humbucker.

Interesting indeed. Thanks BBP. I'm gonna study this carefully.

Very interesting. I'm sure I'm telling you stuff you knew while I was in shorts but for the benefit of others...

Even order harmonics,considered the source of all evil to hifI buffs are cancelled out in double ended / class ab / push pull amps, by design, and this makes them very desirable in the hifi world. These harmonics are generally considered desirable from guitar amps. It seems Mr Dumble has made it possible to off set the phase inverter creating a stronger signal in half of the output transformer, preventing the full cancellation of these even order harmonics. A little bit like having slugs in half of a humbucker.

Interesting indeed. Thanks BBP. I'm gonna study this carefully.

I just mostly copy stuff and try to learn as I go along. I'm understanding it more now that you said that about the harmonics/phase stuff. When you get it dialed in it sounds great. The Princeton Reverb has the same kind of phase inverter so I might try the same kind of thing on mine. Thanks for the info.

Hmmmmmmmm..........tough call.

I've owned a lot of amps over the years. Many great ones.

The ones that stood out the most (can't pick just one)

had a silver face Fender Super Reverb with one blown channel and beat to hell, but if you cranked it up until is smelled like it was about to burst into flames, it made BEAUTIFUL tones.

Bedrock 1400.....biggest regret of ever selling an amp.....just a monster,

and one I currently have......

1985 Marshall JCM 800 50 watter.....it is just "THAT" tone.

also up for honorable mention.....the mid 80's Laney Tube amps, and my Mesa Boogie Mark 5:25

NHTom

I might have to say my Victoria. It's a Victorilux that's using 2 12" P12Q's ('61's), and I would normally play it with 2 of the 4 el-84's pulled out, and one speaker. To me, it's been perfect: fat, clean colorful cleans, and with just a roll of the volume on the guitar, is like turning on the flame thrower.

Runner up would be my silverfaced '67 Deluxe Reverb. Paid too much for it in the early 90's (sheesh, that was 950!) because I liked the Blackfaced sound more, and LOVED the Silverfaced look more. I've had a bunch of different speakers in it, but now it sit's with a Jensen C12R from '68, the way it was when I lost my storage and all the other speakers (AND amps). I recently, like a year ago, found an old stereo with a couple black-plate RCA 6V6's, and popped them in. I think I can tell it needs to be biased, but man what a difference.

Those were my favorites, until a freind brought over a '57 or so Bassman that he had just had restored. I didn't nit-pik all the differences, but I could NOT stop playing that amp. Something about it, but it was FAT, and seemed to have more of whatever I wanted to hear at any given chord or note.

I have had a LOT of really nice amps, and lost many of them all at once. But I'm feeling like a blessed man at the moment. I still have 2 that are my favorites, and I got to experience stuff that many haven't or won't ever get to.

Need a rundown on those Amps. I see a Jubilee for sure, a JCM, A JTM? and something quite old, (70's Super-Lead Perhaps?) and a few othes.

For fun, wild guess:

left to right: JTM 100 watter, JCM, Jubilee (or JCM 800 Anniversary?), JTM 100 watt reissue, JCM 900.

"But they all sound just the same?!?!?!".........................................

[wink]

Pip.

Yes...no...I think what they mean is, by the time you crank any one of those amps to ear-slitting levels, it doesn't matter which one of those fine axes you plug into them, they all sound the same. Something like that.

Yes...no...I think what they mean is, by the time you crank any one of those amps to ear-slitting levels, it doesn't matter which one of those fine axes you plug into them, they all sound the same. Something like that.

..or basically... THEY ROCK!!!!!

Earlier I expressed no real "favorite" amp, among the several I now own.

And, I do tend to love them all, for what they do, equally.

BUT, the amp I've owned the longest, and still LOVE, every time I get

a chance to actually use it, is my Fender Twin Reverb! It's just too

loud, at it's "sweet spot," for MOST places I get to play in, these

days! [tongue][crying]

CB

You're making me choose which one of my babies I like the best? I feel like that comedian who says, "I've got two wonderful kids...and another kid." I love them all equally, but for different reasons.

VSA Classic 22, gorgeous tone and looks.

Traynor YCV40RW, Two channels, master volume, good tones and good looks.

Peavey VK112, low cost two channel workhorse, take it anywhere amp.

Orange CR35LDX, SS grab-n-go-goodness.

Behringer AC112, digital ME amp with enough volume for outdoors, surprisingly nice clean tones.

VOX MiniG3, great travel amp.

Also, like offspring having their parents traits, when I am playing them, good or bad, they all sound like me anyway.

These are the best amps I've ever owned.

A21A585F-9FC9-4CDD-8AD1-BDE6788F6F4F_zpshoftih8g.jpg

My 2013 Fender Blues Junior and my 2004 Fender Hotrod Deville 212. The Reverb has stopped working on the Deville so I use a TC Electronics Hall of Fame reverb pedal with it. The two channels are so good that I don't use any other pedals and will eventually get the reverb fixed.

I've owned Vox and Marshall amps as well as a lot of solid state Fenders like the Stage 100 and the Frontman 212 in the past but my current line-up is my favourite. These amps still have their original speakers and have never had any modifications done to them.

All my Guitars sound great through them and I own 2 Rickenbackers, a Gibson ES-335, 2 Epiphones and a couple of Fenders. Even my Martin sounds great through the Blues Junior. :)

Earlier I expressed no real "favorite" amp, among the several I now own.

And, I do tend to love them all, for what they do, equally.

BUT, the amp I've owned the longest, and still LOVE, every time I get

a chance to actually use it, is my Fender Twin Reverb! It's just too

loud, at it's "sweet spot," for MOST places I get to play in, these

days! [tongue][crying]

CB

Agreed. Same with Super Reverb. I've hung on to Twin and Super since the 60ies. Twin is just too loud for life now and BOTH are too heavy.

Archived