Gibson Brands Forums

Grounding plate

DoubleSixx

Hi everybody,

I was wondering, is better to have a grounding plate or not ?

Has anyone added or removed the plate and found there was more or less humming ?

I'm still having grounding issues and was considering removing the grounding plate to

see if that eliminates my problems.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanx in advance.

This maybe a real dumb question, but since you seem to be at a loss... Have you tried a ground lift on your amp yet?

Or maybe even move your amp to a different circuit? Try a battery powered amp, or different cables, and see if the buzz is still there.

There has to be a way to narrow this down without resorting to the wood chipper there.

Like I said, dumb questions, but sometimes the simplest of solutions are often overlooked.

Take it to a tech and have them check/re-do the wiring. You can remove the grounding plate but that would require you to do the following:

Short Shaft Pots

all new wiring from switch to pots to output jack

While you at it replace the caps

Removing the plate will be like re-doing all the electrics in the guitar except for the Pickups.

Tom99SS,

I've re-wired a bunch of guitars, this is the first one with a grounding plate. Over the

summer I replaced the pots, with the removal of the plate I'll still need long shaft

potentiometers.

The plate is only an 1/8 of an inch thick.

I guess the only way to answer this is for me just to try it myself.

Tommorrow, I'll disconnect the toggle switch and the ground, un-thread the output

jack and the entire plate pulls out pots and all.

I connect an output jack to one volume and tone and plug it in a see what happens.

Archived