Gibson Brands Forums

FT45 Cortez with broken neck

Judd

I have a beat up old Kalamazoo Epiphone FT45 Cortez serial number #103337 with a broken neck. My local luthier says it will cost $700 to fix. The guitar has quite a bit of sentimental value, and also would be handy to have around in playable condition. Do you think I should do the fix or just bury it somewhere?

post-76691-034444200 1454344459_thumb.jpg

post-76691-049786600 1454344458_thumb.jpg

Sentimental value aside, I would base that decision on what condition the rest of the instrument is in. Seven-hundred bucks is a lot to shell out for repair work, but it is a Cortez which usually do sound sweet. They go for about 1-1.5k these days, and considering they're all over 50 years old by now, they have all had, or should have, some kind of repair work done and plenty of blemishes to show for.

I have a beat up old Kalamazoo Epiphone FT45 Cortez serial number #103337 with a broken neck. My local luthier says it will cost $700 to fix. The guitar has quite a bit of sentimental value, and also would be handy to have around in playable condition. Do you think I should do the fix or just bury it somewhere?

post-76691-034444200 1454344459_thumb.jpg

post-76691-049786600 1454344458_thumb.jpg

that is about 4x what you should be paying for a basic re-glue w/out cosmetics.

Based on the second photo, it just looks like a broken headstock and kind of a clean break one.

I had an authorized Gibson repair man fix my 1972Gibson SJD's broken headstock for about $150. It would have been $300 if he had to pick it up at a music store (and share half with the music store). I drove the guitar directly to him with his upfront consent.

Check the list of authorized Gibson repairpersons somewhere on the Gibson site, find one reasonably best you, and call him directly for an appointment.. Is my suggestion.

Mine has been repaired now for about 10 years. Plays great and has a great war story to it. (I did not also have it cosmetically repaired. Just functionally. Cooler that way and nothing to hide.)

Authorized Gobson repair folks also repair Epiphones, especially ones made in Kalamazoo side by side.

Worth a try in my opinion. I thought my SJD was dead. Turns out it wasn't.

Hope this leads somewhere positive for you.

Thanks for the advice. I looked at a few price lists for repairs online and $600 to $700 seemed common for a broken neck. I'll check with Gibson and find out what they say. An additional complication is that it was repaired once already and that repair failed.

Here is what Gibson just said:

"Judd,

With the amount of damage and the previous repair attempt I wouldn’t recommend having the repair done, the cost will be more than the instrument worth.

To repair the neck we will need to do a carbon graphite repair, ballpark cost is $1375.00.

We will do whatever you want.

If you would like to send the instrument here please use this link for return information.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/RepairAndRestoration/SubmitRepair/

Thank you,

Gibson Repair"

I'm no expert, but I'm thinking Gibson's advice (and price estimate) stems from the fact there's not a lot of gluing area, so they believe the inclusion of carbon fiber is necessary for a structurally sound repair. Not every repairman may agree, so it wouldn't hurt to get another estimate or two. If you do get it fixed, you'd probably be wise to string it with light-gauge strings.

Master repairman Frank Ford has a number of photo essays on his great website about neck/headstock repairs, and some are easier than others, like this one:

http://frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Structural/BrokenHeadstocks/LongBreak/longbreak.html

The StewMac website has background on the use of carbon fiber in guitar necks:

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Truss_Rod_Installation_and_Repair/Working_with_Carbon_Fiber_Reinforcement_Materials.html

And of course there are several videos on YouTube dealing with neck/headstock repairs....

IMHO, the better option would be to use that $700 in the purchase of another instrument.

I've had three of these guitars over the years (Gibson B-25/Epi Cortez), and currently have a '66 which I picked up a few years ago for $800 in great condition (including the original alligator hardshell case). Good ones can indeed be very sweet sounding.

The issue of sentimental value is of course another matter. If the guitar means a lot to you, I'd have the repair done, but check references to get the best person & price.

Even though they are pretty good photos, judgeing from pics is really hard to do when it comes to what someone will actually DO to fix it.

Personally, I would just hang onto it, and shop around IN PERSON different repair guys until you come along someone you trust and he can do it at the price you want.

There are all kinds of luthiers with different talents, and different levels of fixing it "right".

At the price Gibson quoted, their advise to not get it done seems on the mark. I'd shop for a replacement, maybe the same guitar or a Gibson version. And, keep the old locked in its case as a remembrance of what the replacement guitar replaced or in case you ever stumble upon a good luthier who wants to fix it for you for cheap as a personal project.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's another dime's worth from a different angle. Once Gibson finished using the parts acquired in the original buyout, the necks got to be pretty generic on small-bodied Epiphones. Why not bide your time and look for another Cortez, Cabellaro, etc., with a good neck and a smashed box? Have the neck installed on yours. I've seen it done to good advantage on several different models.

Archived