Gibson Brands Forums

Expensive Cowboy Chords

flatbaroque

Depends how many lots of $200K you have in your kitbag, I guess.

Nothing compared to precious violins in a show on the teev the other night - $7 Mill plus for the Stradi and another owned by Princess Di with no price as yet.....

But apart from the Brazilian Rosewood, the guitar probably sounds similar to my D28.

BluesKing777.

It's funny. Some of these Martins (there AREN'T that many) actually DO sell at these prices. At least, the ones listed at such prices have sold. No telling what was really paid.

I say "funny" because Martin seems to be the only one that seems to be able to sell "new" guitars for such really, REALLY high prices.

You have to admit, the inlays and purfling are beyond perfect.

I don't know how Martin could ever be sure of EXACTLY how many guitars they made down to "1", but the serial# on that IS somewhat of a badge.

I gotta admit though that the beauty of the modern guitar market is that if you want to have a collection of $400 guitars there are quite a few to shop for and you can discern within those parameters and have a lot of fun. And if you want to graze in the $4000-$6000 range you too have a lot to shop for and can probably (it's not in my range that's for sure)have a lot of fun too. Et cetera. I like the OP's heading cause it says it all for me about this Martin.

Decorations on a guitar is an interesting topic. If someone gave me that guitar, I would quickly turn it for a few working guitars and a lot of cash. It just doesn't excite me at all. However, the decorations on Ramblin' Jack Elliott's old D28 look pretty cool to me. I guess it's just all in the eyes of the beholder.

Archived