Gibson Brands Forums

B25 ID confirmation please

GaWajn

I just got this Guitar a few days ago. From the serial number on the headstock ... (369079) ... I would say it is a 1966. I base this information gathered from the guiatrHQ site, which states that the serial numbers from 36860 to 369890 without the made is USA stamp on the back of the headstock ... is a 1966.

I am looking for confirmation of the year and model of this guitar.

It is a small bodied guitar ... light cherry sunburst ... ladder bracing.

I will post pictures later today.

That's pretty. The bracing that matters is the stuff on the underside of the top. You should see the 'V' shape just below the soundhole indicating X-bracing. If it is a ladder-braced ( straight across ) top you don't have a B-25.

Someone might have swapped out an adjustable saddle set-up along the way for the slotted bridge. That's a good thing.

That is my point. It has ladder bracing on the underside of the top ... what model is it? I was only guessing at B25 ... that's what the seller said it was.

And you are correct. The bridge was swapped out some time ago.

LG-1. That's a fairly significant misrepresentation on the part of the seller, since X-bracing produces fuller tonal quality all around, and is more valuable on the market.

Others here are nerdier than me and may shed more light on this one. I'm just guessing. Except for the bracing discussion.

I sent him an email ... explaining his misrepresentation of the guitar. He may or may not have know the difference. He thought it was a 67 or 68 B25-N. When I checked the serial number for the year ... and saw the sunburst on the top ... well ... I am a big boy and will not go back on the deal or give him grief. I should have checked in more detail before making the deal. The original deal was a swap of my 1958 Supro Dual Tone for his Gibson plus $500 in cash coming my way. I don't feel cheated ... even if there was a mistake in saying it was a B25.

Archived