Gibson Brands Forums

masterbuilt guitars

mwheeler

looking to buy a Epiphone Masterbuit with rosewood body............EF-500 RCCE...or AJ-500 RCE........Do any of you masterbuit fans have a idea what guitar is a better choice ...The EF-500 has a wider nut.......for finger pickers..........I am a flat picker but wonder if the wider neck will work for me???????

looking to buy a Epiphone Masterbuit with rosewood body............EF-500 RCCE...or AJ-500 RCE........Do any of you masterbuit fans have a idea what guitar is a better choice ...The EF-500 has a wider nut.......for finger pickers..........I am a flat picker but wonder if the wider neck will work for me???????

I think the most important thing to consider between the two is the neck shape. the "V" shape in the EF-500 is way different than the AJ.

Cougar should be able to give you a better idea. I think he has both?

Well, the best plan would be to try an EF before you buy - if there's a store with one that's not a huge distance from you. The nut difference is 1/16", which isn't a lot, but it is noticeable. I expect it would definitely work for you, but there will be a bit of an adjustment in your muscle memory. I think it makes for cleaner chording, especially if you've got big hands with fat fingers (but that's not a requirement). Now I switch between guitars with 1-11/16" to 1-3/4" without much trouble. My Guild 12, which I've been playing a lot lately, has a 1-13/16" nut - a slight playing adjustment, but not really a problem.

Of course, the EF body is an "OM" or "000" "orchestra" size, which is a bit smaller than the AJ jumbo, which likely gives you a little bigger sound when played acoustically. If you're plugging in, well, you have a volume knob. [smile] The RCCE also has that nice cedar top.

Neck shape? Man, I can't help you there. I just play 'em.

Just remember, when you play a guitar, you are the guitar. [biggrin]

Well, the best plan would be to try an EF before you buy - if there's a store with one that's not a huge distance from you. The nut difference is 1/16", which isn't a lot, but it is noticeable. I expect it would definitely work for you, but there will be a bit of an adjustment in your muscle memory. I think it makes for cleaner chording, especially if you've got big hands with fat fingers (but that's not a requirement). Now I switch between guitars with 1-11/16" to 1-3/4" without much trouble. My Guild 12, which I've been playing a lot lately, has a 1-13/16" nut - a slight playing adjustment, but not really a problem.

Of course, the EF body is an "OM" or "000" "orchestra" size, which is a bit smaller than the AJ jumbo, which likely gives you a little bigger sound when played acoustically. If you're plugging in, well, you have a volume knob. [smile] The RCCE also has that nice cedar top.

Neck shape? Man, I can't help you there. I just play 'em.

Just remember, when you play a guitar, you are the guitar. [biggrin]

Thanks Cougar......been looking for awhile at the guitar shops in my area......Guitar Center in Orlando did not even have the EF-500.....still looking

Just my two cents but I believe the AJ500 RE is one of the nicest guitars Epiphone has ever produced. I dare to say (IMHO) that it can hold it's own against the J-45. For the money, it's definitely a better value. I own three Masterbilts models, all different, but this one comes closest to that "classic" Gibson sound. The slope shoulder is very attractive (and I prefer non-cutaways for looks). Try and get one from the first Masterbilt run if you can. I was fortunate to get a mint AJ and DR Maple used (be patient)...they're out there.

Just my two cents but I believe the AJ500 RE is one of the nicest guitars Epiphone has ever produced....

I wouldn't argue with you there. Regardless of model, every one of my Masterbilts built from 2003-2010 are just superbly made, and very tonal.

I have 2 older Masterbilt DR 500's one mahogany and one rosewood backs and sides. They are different enough that it is worth having both, and they are VERY well designed and well built.I got them both at least a year apart, both bought used from a big seller, sight unseen...The rosewood model has a high fret, which made if very cheap, and will cost about $50 for my tech to straighten out.

I live at least 45 miles from any big guitar seller, so I take a lot of chances buying online, with only very occasional bad results. I recommend buying from big sellers because they have very easygoing return policies if needed, and you can talk with the manager on the phone about the specific guitar you want to buy.

FWIW, I have NEVER played a bad sounding Epiphone acoustic guitar, no matter what the era or price level. Their Masterbilt line is a real value and all are beautiful players.

Archived