Gibson Brands Forums

Getting the high strings on new Trad

SteveT2

When I first really started playing my Lester it was hard getting to my high strings, almost like the bridge was bent a little. Then I thought about it and realised that after years of Strats and SGgs the Lester has a much thicker body so there is going to be a learning curve here. Anyone else have this feeling ?

When I first really started playing my Lester it was hard getting to my high strings, almost like the bridge was bent a little. Then I thought about it and realised that after years of Strats and SGgs the Lester has a much thicker body so there is going to be a learning curve here. Anyone else have this feeling ?

Most of the time I play on my two Lesters, sometimes I grab my GF's Alhambra (flamenco guitar) and shock at the 12th it's game over!

And sometimes I take the Epi SG I gave her and love the freedom on the upper frets.

I wish I had mo cash to buy one of each species!

Yes, but to my taste in a good way. I find picking strings on arched or carved tops easier, regardless of body thickness, and I like significant neck angles. The latter makes playing Fenders less comfortable for me, SGs and L6Ses are a bit handier, Les Paul and ES guitars feel the best.

Anyway, I played SG and an Ibanez RG for decades as well as a rare German ES style semi-solid and a Les Paul copy made in Japan, so over the years I learned to deal with all these shapes. It's a bit like setting switches in my brain to a specific guitar with all its properties like scale length, neck position, neck joint, position and functions of controls and switches and so on.

It also took me some time to find the perfect strap length when new to a specific build. Les Paul guitars call for strap locks, or I would run the risk of dropping them. The upper strap button has dangerous position and angle with the neck circa 25...30 degrees pitched upward as I like it.

I think at this point I just subconsciously adapt.

I know for a fact, a strat/tele, les paul/sg, I'll play them a bit differently. I don't do it intentionally it's just where the feel of the instrument takes me

It's not a huge thing but for the first hour or so I was wondering what the check was going on

Yes, but to my taste in a good way. I find picking strings on arched or carved tops easier, regardless of body thickness, and I like significant neck angles. The latter makes playing Fenders less comfortable for me, SGs and L6Ses are a bit handier, Les Paul and ES guitars feel the best.

Anyway, I played SG and an Ibanez RG for decades as well as a rare German ES style semi-solid and a Les Paul copy made in Japan, so over the years I learned to deal with all these shapes. It's a bit like setting switches in my brain to a specific guitar with all its properties like scale length, neck position, neck joint, position and functions of controls and switches and so on.

It also took me some time to find the perfect strap length when new to a specific build. Les Paul guitars call for strap locks, or I would run the risk of dropping them. The upper strap button has dangerous position and angle with the neck circa 25...30 degrees pitched upward as I like it.

I bought a nice leather strap for mine, luckily it's not any shorter. I haven't gotten strap locks yet. Bad, I know

Most of the time I play on my two Lesters, sometimes I grab my GF's Alhambra (flamenco guitar) and shock at the 12th it's game over!

And sometimes I take the Epi SG I gave her and love the freedom on the upper frets.

I wish I had mo cash to buy one of each species!

I'm done buying for now. Tele will be next though. Or an ES of some sort

I think there is something to that. It's almost odd how a large Gibson-like archtop feels so good even though it doesn't look like it would. I think it has a lot to do with guitar shape "evolution". After all, the large archtop shape was THE shape for a long, LONG time until the solid body came along.

When I first started playing an LP (after playing Strat type guitars), yeah I suppose the upper fret access was a bit more challenging... but I adapted pretty quickly and have no problems now. BTW, I also adapted quickly to the superior tone of the LP! [thumbup]

Yes, upper fret access is more challenging, but worth it. What I meant though was it was the strings themselves just felt like the bridge kind of has a roll in it like the string are rolled down under a bit. They aren't of course it's just the body is a bit different so my hand and wrist are at a different angle than normal. Nothing I can't deal with

Yes, upper fret access is more challenging, but worth it. What I meant though was it was the strings themselves just felt like the bridge kind of has a roll in it like the string are rolled down under a bit. They aren't of course it's just the body is a bit different so my hand and wrist are at a different angle than normal. Nothing I can't deal with

Indeed, I know what you mean. The right hand on the bridge, Gibson and Fender are totally different there. With a high bridge like on an LP, you are almost totally dependent on the bridge for an anchor or reference for the right hand.

I've always felt, that bit of the bridge on the TOM to be a real advantage when playing the Gibby. On the downside, it really makes different playing positions (guitar high or low) to have a more drastic effect on how the hand rest.

Oh sorry... I misunderstood. Regardless, I've not experienced what you are describing then.

Archived