Gibson Brands Forums

Do you call this a quilt or flame?

newf

I posted this over on my les paul. I contact Gibson several times without any answer what so ever. So I'll post it here. These pictures are of the guitar at the best angle / light to see the flame.

20151121_140846_zps3e61t4ir.jpg

20151127_000105_zpsoynxnaft.jpg

Whaddya think. Flame or Quilt? Ignore the color, it is a Honey burst but my camera makes it very red looking. I found this in November by chance. I've been looking for a Les Paul for years. In 2011 I gave up, got a PRS, in 2012, gave up a got a tele, 2013 - strat....

When the 14's came out I basically ignored them originally. Never had anything against the logo, and actually hated the nibs, but I went back to acoustic guitar and grabbed a 814 the summer.....but then I seen this on a facebook picture from a dealer showing a 2016 LP but this was in the background. For the record, I HATED the 2015 Les Pauls.

Long story short I inquired about it, they claimed it was a 2014 they just got in around Feb 2015. Genuine Gibson dealer. It is a Premium Quilt they said, I said...no it isn't. We went back and forth on this forever. I said I'm not paying for a quilt...it's not a quilt. I seen the order form, Gibson does call it a premium quilt and priced it accordingly. So they paid for a quilt. But to me, it is a flame. Now looking at the Gibson usa page they said all Premium quilts are signed on the back. Mine is not. I honestly feel Gibson made a huge mistake here, called a flame a quilt, and charged their dealer too much....costing me the buyer to do the same. This to me is a Standard Premium Plus. Not a premium quilt.

Regardless, arguing about quilt/flame my other point is the 2016's were coming out so it should be discounted. I never really got a "great" deal on it, but it plays really well. I've picked up a lot of Les Pauls in recent years and nothing spoke to me. This one does, so I kept it.

But... what is gibson thinking here? I emailed them about it and got nothing but crickets....not impressed. Any issues I've had with my Fender or PRS...they stepped up and did what they could.

20151124_220420_zpsy0lszcx2.jpg

20151124_220504_zpsyikpvfko.jpg

IMG_20151117_000714_zpsmtugyqoy.jpg

mylespaul thread

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/359196-quilt-flame.html

Hello and welcome.

Highly flamed id say... (lovely guitar by the way :))

Its the deepness of the flame which is one of the things that makes it a high grade..

This is quilted

DSDCD16OWCH1_MAIN_HERO_01_zpsugpow4s9.jpg

If you check this page and go down to Wood Selection they have a small list and pics of different flameyness

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/USA/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

Hello and welcome to this nice place in the web.

What a beauty! [wub] Congrats on your nice catch. [thumbup]

Anyway, the pics tell she is misclassified. The top looks quarter-sawn, so it must be flame maple. Quilt tops are flat-sawn.

Nonetheless, a very pretty guitar with an awesome flame! [love]

Welcome.

Flamed (aka Tiger). . . Someone at Gibson screwed up on that.

The model change over frequently occur later than January, so the model year is correct - just NOS.

Very nicely flamed and a gorgeous burst.

Congrats. . B)

Bit late responding. Struck a bit of a flu and it wiped me out. Anyways, thanks for the comments. I still had no response from Gibson. So I'm going to assume they screwed up, they know it, they can't do anything about it now so ignore it. Great.

Yes I like it, yes it plays well which is the single most important thing. But....if your going to charge a premium for something...make sure the right guitar is the case.

Bit late responding. Struck a bit of a flu and it wiped me out. Anyways, thanks for the comments. I still had no response from Gibson. So I'm going to assume they screwed up, they know it, they can't do anything about it now so ignore it. Great.

Yes I like it, yes it plays well which is the single most important thing. But....if your going to charge a premium for something...make sure the right guitar is the case.

Perhaps the folks at Gibson avoid coming closer to the flame. They might get burnt. [rolleyes]

one way to find out.. what Gibson thinks

Loosen the strings,

remove the 4 screws on the pickup rings and lift the pickups out of the body.

look at the pencil writing on the inside of the pickup cavity... there you will have the "code" for what they production line thought the guitar was as it was being built.

one way to find out.. what Gibson thinks

Loosen the strings,

remove the 4 screws on the pickup rings and lift the pickups out of the body.

look at the pencil writing on the inside of the pickup cavity... there you will have the "code" for what they production line thought the guitar was as it was being built.

Yep. [thumbup] The model code from the bridge pickup cavity, the finish code from the neck pickup cavity, with CH1 added, should result in the same like that written on the QC slip included in the case candy.

Archived