Gibson Brands Forums

Not a Guitar in Sight

Fullmental Alpinist

And speaking of boats, J45Nick: I still watch the video you posted of the Oracle Cat--really takes the edge off a hard day.

Thanks for re-posting that. I hadn't watched it in quite a while. It still brings a smile to my face. Sailing on those boats was definitely one of the high points of my career. You sort of shake your head looking at it now, and say "did I really do that?"

I remember lying awake for much of the night before my first sail on that boat, thinking "I'm too old to do this", and almost backing out. But I thought I would hate myself for not going, so I went. After a half hour of what you see in this video, I had an ear to ear smile plastered on my face that didn't come off for days.

I sailed on them a number of times after that, but the first time was, well, you know, the first time. And I'll never forget it.

Wow. Didn't realize you had actually sailed these, Nick. Definitely a keeper of a memory.

I'm a total lubber but was once invited aboard a brand-new Aegis-class destroyer by the XO for an afternoon shake-down cruise off San Diego.

My fond memory was of standing alone on the bow (like DiCaprio in Titanic) while the ship did 35 knots into a 35-knot headwind.

That smile you were talking about? I still get it when I remember that afternoon.

Wow. Didn't realize you had actually sailed these, Nick. Definitely a keeper of a memory.

I've been a race official in the America's Cup for many years, and every now and then, I get to go for a ride as part of my job. It's hard duty, but someone has to do it.

It still brings a smile to my face.

Easy to understand it would be hard to come down after such a ride. So many factors involved, , , not least the feeling of mannschaft and collective fate.

Getting used to the extraordinary is a special and sometimes costly thing - in several meanings of the word.

Fantastic vessel.

Archived