Gibson Brands Forums

2011 SG Junior 60's Cherry Red

jaygl

Here's my new SG. Beautiful deep cherry and very nice grain pattern. It's the 2011 Junior 60's with P90 pickup. Barely a scratch or scuff on it. Baked maple fret board (original owner told me it's Granadillo, but from what I've seen it should be maple...right?) is nice and dark with some slight grain to it. Plays like butter with nice low action and man, the P90 sounds unreal. Very crunchy yet clean and punchy at the same time. Neck is wide and slim. Super easy to play. I am a happy man today! [thumbup]

IMG_0278_zps6kcidmej.jpg

IMG_0280_zpscg1nrp9e.jpg

IMG_0282_zps4xgeokwc.jpg

IMG_0281_zpsg7bhdkar.jpg

Nice looking Jr. Congratulations! [thumbup]

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, for a long time to come!

The SG Junior, was my first ever, SG...in fact, it

was the first electric guitar, I ever played. I

borrowed it, from our first drummer's brother,

back in 1963! Later bought it, from him. Only

wish (now), I had kept it! [crying] But, "C'est

La Vie!"

CB

Congrats on your nice buy! [thumbup] Looks very pretty to me. [love]

How does she intonate? The board is baked maple I think. I have one each on a 2011 L6S and a 2012 SG Standard Bass.

Thanks guys. I can't seem to put it down!! Addicting guitar for sure. Intonation is almost perfect. I had said earlier that it was "spot on" but spoke too soon. The treble side is a little sharp(only very slightly) starting at around the 9th fret. Par for the course maybe with the wrap tail piece? I did notice that the little allen screw on the treble side of the wrap tail piece is missing, so, I'm gonna stop by my local music shop and see if I can order one in. Is that a part that should be easy to find? Allparts maybe? The baked maple feels and sounds great. Don't know what all the hate for it is about???

ah man, that is killer.

Don't fret the baked maple!! Those who poke at it, know not what they speak.

my SG Standard has a BM board, it is not an issue, it's a great SG.

Good luck getting the intonation squared away.

Yeah, my "Satin" '61 reissue SG has a baked maple fingerboard! I LOVE it! [thumbup]

As to the intonation. IF you can't get it to your liking, for some reason, I think

Tone Pro's and Schaller both make wrap around bridges, with adjustable saddles.

There are probably other manufacturers, that do the same.

Good Luck!

CB

Yeah, my "Satin" '61 reissue SG has a baked maple fingerboard! I LOVE it! [thumbup]

As to the intonation. IF you can't get it to your liking, for some reason, I think

Tone Pro's and Schaller both make wrap around bridges, with adjustable saddles.

There are probably other manufacturers, that do the same.

Good Luck!

CB

Ya, I've had a look at some of those tail pieces. I went into my local L&M store last night and they are gonna contact Gibson on monday to see if they can order me a new allen screw or two. It's actually intonated pretty good right now....only ever so slightly sharp on the treble side. I don't think an untrained ear would even pick it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the allen screw for the tailpiece...$5.00.....installed it, intonated, and can gladly say that now she is spot on! I see that there was a 2013 SG junior as well as the 2011. Have they done them in any other years as a reissue? Such a great little workhorse should be a part of the Gibson stable every year, and with lots of color options. I'll buy another one if it's TV Yellow!

Archived