Gibson Brands Forums

The Most Dangerous Band in the World

IanHenry

For anyone who can get BBC 3 there's an interesting looking program on at 10.00pm tonight " The Most Dangerous Band in the World: The Story of Guns N' Roses. Before that there's Totally British 70's Rock 'n' Roll and after it Rock 'n' Roll America. I think I may stay in tonight!

Ian

Guns certainly had their place and was one of those bands that sort of changed things up on the radio dial. There was so much Dio and Judas Priest, Dokken, hair bands and over-produced radio friendly singles rock, then came Appetite For Destruction...

No filter, no appologies, Rolling Stones on 11. And the personalities to match. They are so Hollywood, without being Hollywood on purpose, like the Doors, and I kind of think getting that group of guys at the same place at the same time was quite a mission. They recorded their album, and rightly it is immortal, then the wheels fell off. The follow-up's where written mostly in the studio (as happens so often) and suffered for it.

But GN'R deserves their rightful place in the world of great Hollywood club raw rock, that all of a sudden was playing arenas, and it just wasn't really their thing. But the riffery on Appitite with Axl's nearotic vocals and antics is up their with Exile on Main Street, Toys in the Attic, Paranoid, Zep 1 and 2, and we could keep going IMO.

Guns certainly had their place and was one of those bands that sort of changed things up on the radio dial. There was so much Dio and Judas Priest, Dokken, hair bands and over-produced radio friendly singles rock, then came Appetite For Destruction...

No filter, no appologies, Rolling Stones on 11. And the personalities to match. They are so Hollywood, without being Hollywood on purpose, like the Doors, and I kind of think getting that group of guys at the same place at the same time was quite a mission. They recorded their album, and rightly it is immortal, then the wheels fell off. The follow-up's where written mostly in the studio (as happens so often) and suffered for it.

But GN'R deserves their rightful place in the world of great Hollywood club raw rock, that all of a sudden was playing arenas, and it just wasn't really their thing. But the riffery on Appitite with Axl's nearotic vocals and antics is up their with Exile on Main Street, Toys in the Attic, Paranoid, Zep 1 and 2, and we could keep going IMO.

I know you are in LA...I also grew up there.

The way I remember it, "Hair Metal" was basically dead. You had a metal Station, but metal was basically OUT of the mainstream. Guns made it popular again.

Do you remember "Pirate Radio"?...lol.

I never considered Guns as a hair metal band or metal in any way actually. Yes, they did go for the weird glam/ hair look when they started 1985/86 but by 1987 were just a bunch of long haired dudes with an album that was more rock sounding than metal. All those hair metal bands sucked. Poison? Motley Crue? Absolutely awful! I never understood why they called them hair metal though and not hair rock? Poison etc. weren't metal either and not exactly Sepultura or Slayer sounding in any way.

Many of the songs from the Illusions were written long before. Don't Cry was the first song they ever wrote together (Axl & Izzy), Back off B***h they played pre Appetite, Locomotive, Double Talkin' Jive, Civil War were all written around 1989...and so on.

The Illusions were great in my opinion and when I was young preferred them to Appetite. There's nothing on Appetite as awesome as Coma, Double Talkin' Jive, Locomotive or Estranged from the Illusions. They had more scope and varied sounds which I found more interesting. I love Appetite, but Use Your Illusion I is probably my favourite G N' R album.

The documentary was interesting, but I felt it could have been better. It focussed too much on their early days and it would have been nice to see more interviews with all the band members not just Steven and Matt, plus a few brief ones with Slash.

Funny there was no mention of Dizzy Reed at all!

I never considered Guns as a hair metal band or metal in any way actually. Yes, they did go for the weird glam/ hair look when they started 1985/86 but by 1987 were just a bunch of long haired dudes with an album that was more rock sounding than metal. All those hair metal bands sucked. Poison? Motley Crue? Absolutely awful! I never understood why they called them hair metal though and not hair rock? Poison etc. weren't metal either and not exactly Sepultura or Slayer sounding in any way.

The "Hair Metal" moniker was long before Septula and Slayer. It was just a kinda self-deprecating, fun, way of describing the more pop metal from "metal" metal...Or, the bands that were more pop that were more metal the traditional rock.

More like a way to describe/separate bands like Poison, Def Leppard and such from Priest/Maiden and such. But back then, the "metal" term applied because they had a LOT harder edge than what we called "Rock" back then.

Another term (though later) was "Butt Rock"...lol...referring to..ummm...the audience. And I guess the performers.

The documentary was interesting, but I felt it could have been better. It focussed too much on their early days and it would have been nice to see more interviews with all the band members not just Steven and Matt, plus a few brief ones with Slash.

Funny there was no mention of Dizzy Reed at all!

Many, most, only consider the original band as "Guns and Roses". The later version many consider "Axl's band", and not really Guns.

Many, most, only consider the original band as "Guns and Roses". The later version many consider "Axl's band", and not really Guns.

Yeah, I'd agree that's how it works in my mind, even though the Rose-Thal-Fortus-Ashba-Ferrer version was probably there longer than the originals - far less gigs I'd reckon and as for albums....

They should have broken up after that one.

I'm a huge Izzy fan

Got to totally disagree with you on the first comment, but...

Izzy Stradlin & the Ju Ju Hounds is a classic and so are 117 degrees, Ride On, On Down The Road, Like A Dog, Miami and so on...plus Izzy wrote/ co-wrote loads for the Illusions such as You Ain't the First, Pretty Tied Up, Double Talkin Jive, 14 Years, Dust n Bones etc.

Sorry, when I said they looked at their early days too much in the documentary I meant '85 - '87! I would have liked to see more from '88 - '94. After Slash, Duff and Matt left from 1996 onwards I don't consider Axl and his hired musicians to be Guns N Roses either! Chinese Democracy was awful and should have come out as an Axl solo project not G N' R.

When I mentioned keyboardist Dizzy Reed not being included on the documentary I found it funny because he was there from 1990 and besides Axl is the longest standing member! I consider the Illusion line up to be as relevant as the original line-up. Matt was a superior drummer to Steven, even though Steven had a good feel and vibe to his drumming and popularised the cowbell. It's a shame they didn't use Gilby as a songwriter after The Spaghetti Incident as he contributed some great tunes to Slash's 'It's Five O' Clock Somewhere'. I think that album could easily have been a G N' R record (well 4/6 of the band performed on it!).

Got to totally disagree with you on the first comment, but...

Izzy Stradlin & the Ju Ju Hounds is a classic and so are 117 degrees, Ride On, On Down The Road, Like A Dog, Miami and so on...plus Izzy wrote/ co-wrote loads for the Illusions such as You Ain't the First, Pretty Tied Up, Double Talkin Jive, 14 Years, Dust n Bones etc.

I don't know. The more I look into it, the more I think IZZY was more a part of the sound of the band than a lot give him credit for. And digging a little deeper as to who did what, I think IZZY was more of the main songwriter than just a contributor.

It's not really my business, but while I think Axl is most to blame, GNR was a band bound to crash and burn because of who they were and what they were doing. That first album was magic. Had they been able to keep it together post-Izzy, it might have still been "genuine" GNR, but they didn't.

We don't HAVE a GNR that existed without Izzy, so pretty much for me, if it don't have Izzy, it ain't GNR.

I don't know. The more I look into it, the more I think IZZY was more a part of the sound of the band than a lot give him credit for. And digging a little deeper as to who did what, I think IZZY was more of the main songwriter than just a contributor.

It's not really my business, but while I think Axl is most to blame, GNR was a band bound to crash and burn because of who they were and what they were doing. That first album was magic. Had they been able to keep it together post-Izzy, it might have still been "genuine" GNR, but they didn't.

We don't HAVE a GNR that existed without Izzy, so pretty much for me, if it don't have Izzy, it ain't GNR.

For sure, Izzy was definitely the main songwriter in the beginning and was very underrated by a lot of people. Most of the Appetite songs were his compositions to begin with then Axl, Slash and Duff added parts here and there. By the time of UYI Axl stacked up more sole/ co written songwriting credits than Izzy, but he was not far behind. If you look at Izzy's solo career he has more solo records than any other original member of G N' R from the Ju Ju Hounds debut in 1992 to present, though he has been pretty quiet since 2010's Wave Of Heat. This pretty much proves he was way more prolific than the other members when it came to songwriting.

Archived