Gibson Brands Forums

Sad, Sad, Sad.

northcntryblues

Does anyone know what model it was that was destroyed? The Martins I have seen from the late 19th century have no serial number or model designations on them, and simply say "C. F. Martin New York" on the centerline back cleat back cleat.

I had one purported to be from the 1870's and owned by James Whitcomb Riley ("The Hoosier Poet"). Provenance was decent, as the lady I got it from was in her 80's back around 1970, and had been given it by Riley not long before he died in 1916.

It was 28 style (convoluted Brazilian back and sides), and had some (for me at the time)unusual construction details, such as a separate headstock joined to the neck with a complex bird's beak joint. The one-piece carved modern traditional Martin neck maintains that same shape on the back of the neck at the transition to the headstock, although it is no longer required.

Wonder whatever happened to that guitar? I sold it to a lady from New York in about 1972. She drove up to my house in RI to buy it. I sold it by advertising it in the NY Times. Probably should have bought a 1930's D-28 with the proceeds from that sale, although I gave most of the profit back to the old lady I got it from.

Major miscommunication going on. I would be really surprised if Russel OR Terrantino wanted to smash this one up.

Still, I need to see this movie. Not every day one gets to see a Vintage martin get destroyed. That's an archive in itself.

Finally found what purports to be a photo of the guitar. If it is correct, it is one of the Stauffer models, with the scroll headstock (sort of pre-Fender), and what looks like maybe an ivory fretboard and ivory bridge, with wide marquetry body binding.

Strange guitar, and not at all clear why they would choose it, but I don't know much about the movie.

Read this some where a few days ago.

Apparently, from the article I read, the lady playing it knew it was authentic, but it's not clear that Russel realized he was smashing a priceless antique.

Could have been avoided, and martin should have not let something like that out on loan in the first place.

I dont understand why Martin would loan out a museum piece

for such a purpose.

This is the reason that I dont permit anyone to play my guitars unless

I am there with them.Most people dont understand this.

Archived