Gibson Brands Forums

Strings.....One more time

Jim Wilson

I have a J45RW and have just taken delivery of a standard J45 (both Montana guitars). I am curious to know what you folks think of using Elixer light/medium strings on these guitars.

I used to use Elixer Nanoweb 12s in both PB and 80/20 on my J-45s and Martin. They performed fine. Because I tend to like the zing provided by fresh strings, I switched to a less expensive non-coated string. But, I really liked those Nanowebs.. I think I started using them to reduce string screech on the 12-fret JB I used to have.

Congrats on newly arrived Standard- together with the Rose'J-45, you'll get a great sense of the J-45 sound. As far as strings, Elixir longevity is nice, but personally, a big part of their appeal is their ability to virtually eliminate string noise. If you like them, then full speed ahead. When getting in a new guitar with different specs, the preference here is to first install a set of strings that I'm most familiar with, and make any changes from there. Hopefully, you have both of those guitars on the same type of strings initially.

Happy listening.

I got the J45 Standard from Carter Guitars, in Nashville. It's from the estate of Tim Hensley, who was in Kenny Chesney's band. T'would, in fact, be nice to find a set of strings that both guitars like.

By the way, Carter Guitars were nice folks to deal with. They lowered the action at no charge and the guitar is just as they described it to be. I was pleased with the way they do business.

I have both these models (both 2014) and use custom light 11 guage Elixir Phosphor Bronze. I have small hands/fingers and recently switched from Elixir 12's to 11's. I found no compromise in tone, bass or volume on both of these. It's easier for me to now play barre chords and has more zing. Both play like butter. I went from 13's to 12's on my Martin D35 also with no problems. These strings suit me but you can enjoy experimenting and a lot will depend on hand size and type of play (finger-picking, chording etc). Enjoy.

I have a J45RW and have just taken delivery of a standard J45 (both Montana guitars). I am curious to know what you folks think of using Elixer light/medium strings on these guitars.

I use strictly Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 coated 12s on my J-45. A few reasons here; as mentioned in another post, low string noise. Longevity. And lastly, they seem to be easier on my fingers than Phosphor Bronze strings. I'm in a duo, and play out a lot, so that last one's important. I suppose that most importantly, they sound great too.

Cheers.

I use Elixir Nano 80/20 12's on my 45TV and can't think of how it would play or sound any better. To me, it's a plus that I don't have to change the strings as often if I was using any uncoated string.

Hopefully, you have both of those guitars on the same type of strings initially.

Extraordinary cühl to have both the rose and hog 45. The ongoin' A/B's will be forever entertaining and reports shall be received with pleasure.

Personally would not play coated strings, but different strokes for different folks.

I simply think Gibsons sound so good that ordinary bronze or phosphor ditto is enough, , , also after they fade.

No matter what you choose, mark 62bursts words about using similar sets at the same time - in the beginning as you get to know the guitars anyway.

Enjoy the trip ahead ^ so much fun is waiting

Thomastik spectrum 13's on my '05 j45Rosewood. Lot less 'zingy' metallic edge, more 'wire and woody' rich roundness, and thump. Just more natural sounding to my ears. Hear the nuances of the guitar not the strings. Especially with the ebony fret board and bridge. They also have less tension than PB's. They're expensive though is their downfall. Seem to last a while though. Just another string idea if/ when you get fatigued with coated strings.

I absolutely can't stand elixir strings. Yes, the longevity is great but is sounding mediocre for a long time worth it? Every so often I'll throw them on my beater, campfire guitar but I find the Martin Monels to last almost as long and sound better. This is just my opinion of course. I know a lot of people really like them and I've liked the tone of players that use them. I've just never enjoyed them on my guitar. I really like the DR Rares and Martin Monels on my Gibsons.

Sheriff, I use only Elixir 80/20 Nanowebs. Lights (12's) on my L-00 and mediums (13's) on the J 45 and my SJ. The best sound and playability I have found. I hope this helps.

GT

Elixirs are amazing strings,,I've tried loads of packs,,got 12s on my fairclough n it sounds very lively,,got 11s on my les Paul's you can't go wrong,,n 15 pounds is not much to spend every 6 months,lol,,no dirt beetween the strings,just a wee fret board clean when you change strings,,I wear down normal strings in a week or they snap cause the dirt n sweat,lol

For several years now I've used a lot of Martin SP Lights on all of my guitars. However, with so many suggestions in this forum on strings, I'm kind of "changing my tune." I'll use-up all of my SPs, but recently I've purchased 6 more sets of Silk & Steel strings. I like the feel of them. They make an easy-to-play guitar even easier. They don't produce the volume of bronze, but that's not a major issue for me. I don't play at bluegrass jams and I don't play loud, no matter what I'm playing. I have no need to try and be louder than another guitar. All my gigs are plugged-in, so I can get all the sound I need. I just enjoy the softer tone from the Silk & Steel, along with the feel on my fingers. Likely keep the bronze on "the bird" and the Dove. Those two are like screaming eagles and I don't want to turn them into canaries. All my other guitars, including the newly acquitted Alvarez are likely going to Silk & Steel. Also like the feel of Martin Marquis. Might try them on "the bird" and Dove.

Archived