Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Les Paul Studio Faded or the Studio?

machine

I'm thinking of buying another Les Paul, something with modern weight relief for easier gigging and something a bit cheaper, so I'm not too worried about gigging with it.

I spent quite a while looking over the differences between the Les Paul Studio and Les Paul Studio Faded. Based on the Gibson website the differences are as follows:

Slightly better tuners on the studio vs the faded, although I would probably swap either one for Grovers after a while.

Traditional neck width on the studio, as opposed to historic original (chunkier, I assume) on the Faded.

Burstbucker Pro pikcups on the Faded vs 490R and 498T with coil taps. I use coil taps on my LP Classic all the time, and I overall prefer the pikcups on the regular Studio.

Thicker rosewood fretboad on the Faded Les Paul.

Worn satin on the Faded vs high-gloss nitrocellulose lacquer on the Studio. For live performances, the high-gloss is probably much more durable.

The Faded also comes with a soft case instead of the hard case, which I am not too fussed about.

Based on these differences, I definitely prefer the regular Studio, as opposed to the Faded version, but the Faded is almost HALF the price! With High Performance versions the difference is less painful, but with the traditional spec, I could buy both a Les Paul and a Faded SG for the price of the high-gloss Studio.

What do you guys think? Is the upgrade to the high-gloss Studio worth $700?

I've been down this road already and at one point had Four Lester's hanging from my wall...seemed like every time I put a new one in my hand I was always looking up to see the really nice ones hanging on the top row, finally pulled a few of those down and tried them out and understood why? And bought one. Bottom line, what feels best in your hand and sounds best to your ear...buy that one!

Bottom line, what feels best in your hand and sounds best to your ear...buy that one!

Absolutely [thumbup]

I think most important is how the guitar feels to play.. You can always mess with the pickups and wiring to get what sound you want after that.. Of course its better to just spend the time and find one that feels good AND sound like you want.. Then you don't have to do anything but enjoy playing it :)

One thing I always say is that say you find a guitar you really like the sound and the looks of, but it doesn't quite feel right to play its always worth asking if they have more of the same in stock in the back... Cos each one will be slightly different.. In trying two or three of exactly the same model and make you will soon see the differences between them.

Really though if you are talking about the main difference.. Its really just the paint job and the thin nitro finish on the faded ones.. In some cases ive seen the faded finishes wear quickly for people who play a lot.. However ive had a faded tribute studio since 2011 and the finish on it is still perfect and ive seen that too on several of the forum members faded guitars... So... well in the end we cant tell you.. You MUST play them and as many as you can to find your "one" its the only way.

... Slightly better tuners on the studio vs the faded, although I would probably swap either one for Grovers after a while.

The Faded also comes with a soft case instead of the hard case, which I am not too fussed about.

Based on these differences, I definitely prefer the regular Studio, as opposed to the Faded version, but the Faded is almost HALF the price! With High Performance versions the difference is less painful, but with the traditional spec, I could buy both a Les Paul and a Faded SG for the price of the high-gloss Studio.

What do you guys think? Is the upgrade to the high-gloss Studio worth $700?

I think either tuners are fine. A hard case would be a must for me, in particular for a gigged guitar, so I had to add its price to that of the Faded.

Anyway, in general I think Chuck nails it:

... Bottom line, what feels best in your hand and sounds best to your ear...buy that one!

Yep! [thumbup]

This has GOT to be an individual choice. Both can easily be worth the money spent or saved.

Like other have said, I'd pick based on the individual guitar.

For a case, pups I wanted, and a gloss finish, that's easy worth 700 bucks for me. But if I found one in faded I liked, I'd easily take the saving too.

I will say this: if it ended up being a guitar I really liked, it would end up with a case pretty soon. Same goes for the pups. I generally don't choose a guitar based on pups because a good guitar is hard to find, but pups can always be changed. But it WOULD factor into the price for me if it already had pups I wanted and/or liked.

I think you pretty much laid our the pros and cons of each for yourself and it really is down to personal choice.

I own a 2011 LP Tribute Studio which is faded as well as a full gloss LP Signature 2014. Both are set up with the action and amount of neck relief I like and both play beautifully. There is definitely a different feel playing a faded, unbound neck on a lighter guitar (my Tribute is chambered) compared to a full gloss, bound neck and a thicker capped, heavier guitar (my Signature is trad weight relieved). However, I could easily pick either up and play them right now. The prettier, glossier model draws you in more but that bling doesn't make it the better player.

If you like your bling, down the line, you probably won't even be fully satisfied with the glossy studio as you start to crave binding and flame tops. However, if you want the best bang for buck but with the same quality of Gibson USA production then it has to be the faded.

This has GOT to be an individual choice. Both can easily be worth the money spent or saved.

Like other have said, I'd pick based on the individual guitar.

For a case, pups I wanted, and a gloss finish, that's easy worth 700 bucks for me. But if I found one in faded I liked, I'd easily take the saving too.

I will say this: if it ended up being a guitar I really liked, it would end up with a case pretty soon. Same goes for the pups. I generally don't choose a guitar based on pups because a good guitar is hard to find, but pups can always be changed. But it WOULD factor into the price for me if it already had pups I wanted and/or liked.

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna play both and decide for myself, was just wondering, what others think. I already have a hard case from my Les Paul Classic, so for gigging, I have one, but at home, a soft case would be enough to keep the dust off. Thanks!

I think you pretty much laid our the pros and cons of each for yourself and it really is down to personal choice.

I own a 2011 LP Tribute Studio which is faded as well as a full gloss LP Signature 2014. Both are set up with the action and amount of neck relief I like and both play beautifully. There is definitely a different feel playing a faded, unbound neck on a lighter guitar (my Tribute is chambered) compared to a full gloss, bound neck and a thicker capped, heavier guitar (my Signature is trad weight relieved). However, I could easily pick either up and play them right now. The prettier, glossier model draws you in more but that bling doesn't make it the better player.

If you like your bling, down the line, you probably won't even be fully satisfied with the glossy studio as you start to crave binding and flame tops. However, if you want the best bang for buck but with the same quality of Gibson USA production then it has to be the faded.

Thanks! Yeah, I think you're right, I just need to see if the more expensive studio plays or sounds way better. I already have a Les Paul Classic with binding and a beautiful finish to drool over, just need something lighter and faster for gigs!

Looks like everything has been said alraedy.

Only one thing, I wouldn't worry much about the finish.

I own a satin finished model, wich I think is even thiner than the faded finish.

And the wear it shows on the back is my fault because I often wear printed band shirts with that nasty rubber print.

Other than that no wear on the front where my arm rests, nor on the back of the neck.

I even polished mine and it is still cherry.

And I played it a lot!

Archived