Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone else celebrate their guitar's birthday?

hardycreek1

No - don't even celebrate my own and never did since turning 17.

Oh, yes with my parents and brother earlier on.

Apart from that, I'm the type who has a dinner guest, , , or a full band studio-session on my birthday, , , without telling the guys 1 word.

well I'll be long gone by the time my J-15 turns 80!

But nice to think that it will still be going strong when I'm in the grave! Hopefully its resonance will be even more awesome and someone will fully appreciate its character.

That brought me down to earth with a bang msp_blink.gif

But nice to think that it will still be going strong when I'm in the grave! Hopefully its resonance will be even more awesome and someone will fully appreciate its character.

…and he may also be spending your money, living in your house and sleeping with your woman. [flapper]

Fourteen of my guitars and basses allow for exactly dating them. They all are electrics. Two of them are multiples, that is same model, same colour and made the same day, just four digits apart, thus reducing the number to thirteen explicit birthdays.

The birthdays of most of my instruments can't be determined, not even close. Anyway, I don't celebrate any anniversary of my instruments.

I have enough trouble trying to remember my wife's and grandkids birthday...no way I could remember for all the guitars....And yes, I even forget my own at times.

Brings up a good point.

If you DO remember your guitars birthday, it makes it worse if you don't remember the important ones.

Best keep it to yourself.

I have the 'birthdays' for my J45 Custom and my ES-347 marked in my computer calendar, so I get a little pop-up reminder each year. So I'll wish 'em a happy birthday in my head, but I don't bake cakes or anything [smile]

My J-15 turned one year old yesterday. I'm stoked!

It seems the sound gets better with every passing week.

So it turned one year old yesterday, all I can say is that I'm looking forward to many more wonderful years!

I do. I keep track of both birthdays - when it was born (February 15, 2013 in Bozeman) and when I received it (May 20, 2013).

Here she is:

20160205_113604.jpg

20160205_113635.jpg

My J-45s will be 23 this summer. Not very old I agree, but the longest

that I have kept any guitar by, at least 18 years!

I bought my 1974 J-50 new and thought it was cool when it was 40 years old, but I didn't "celebrate". My 1965 J-50 is older, but I only got it a year ago. :)

Being a guitar geek with a moderate number of guitars, I would have on average two birthdays a week -- Party, Party, Party. Mercifully, our old Gibson's actual birthdays (to the day) are unknown -- we are lucky to have the year. For Martins not so. They are a very nice company, and there are ways you can ask them that results in them giving you the actual stamping date. So we have three birthdays in Feb we know of -- 14, 20, 22.

Let's pick,

-Tom

My J-15 turned one year old yesterday. I'm stoked!

It seems the sound gets better with every passing week.

So it turned one year old yesterday, all I can say is that I'm looking forward to many more wonderful years!

To your question: Nope.

Glad like your guitar, though.

Being a guitar geek with a moderate number of guitars, I would have on average two birthdays a week -- Party, Party, Party. Mercifully, our old Gibson's actual birthdays (to the day) are unknown -- we are lucky to have the year. For Martins not so. They are a very nice company, and there are ways you can ask them that results in them giving you the actual stamping date. So we have three birthdays in Feb we know of -- 14, 20, 22.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Ha , tom , you couldn't afford the candles you'd need !!

Archived