Gibson Brands Forums

So Who Can Sing?

Digger

Hehe.

Car are getting even smaller. My mid-size Dodge looks like a boat next to a station wagon. Cigarettes are getting lighter too. The ones I smoke right now have 0.7 mg nicotine.

But, they didn't spoil the beers, at least. I am not drinking, maybe like 5 bottles a year. However, three of that five will be consumed tonight, as a friend will pop in with a couple of bottles of 12% Black Samurai's.

Cheers... Bence

Hehe.

Car are getting even smaller. My mid-size Dodge looks like a boat next to a station wagon. Cigarettes are getting lighter too. The ones I smoke right now have 0.7 mg nicotine.

But, they didn't spoil the beers, at least. I am not drinking, maybe like 5 bottles a year. However, three of that five will be consumed tonight, as a friend will pop in with a couple of bottles of 12% Black Samurai's.

Cheers... Bence

well Salud Bence.

A couple of years ago I was staying with a French mate at his flat in Montreux, and him thinking 'Aussie guest - I'll stock up on beer' presented me with 3 big (50dl) cans of some type of beer - the first was 8%, the second 10% and the third 12%.... heavy here in Oz is about 5%!. [scared]

[laugh] the 12% was so alcoholic i thought it tasted more like wine than beer! good times.

Thank You! [smile]

Just ask Capmaster what is the regular size of a beer can there, in Bayern. [scared] Not to mention those blonde beauties carrying six, litre-sized mugs at once, during the Oktoberfest events. It's fun, until the guys get out their accordions. [biggrin]

Cheers... Bence

I've not been to Munchen, but have had a few beers in pubs in Berlin and Frankfurt, and yeah..they ain't messing around there in Germany [thumbup]

If you are ever in Lausanne, there's a German (square) pizza pub near a main station where you can get 5 litres in this kind of chilled tower at your table with a tap at the bottom. Jacques and i said 'next time" [laugh]

I can sing.

Aware of my own range and limitations, of course.

Like rct, I enjoy singing with the entire band, with three or four layers of vocal harmonies. In this role, I am in my element.

On my own, I sing really well in the upper registers, much like Neil Young or Timothy B. Schmidt.

I can carry the middle fairly well, but stay away from the lower, deeper stuff (like Jim Morrison or Johnny Cash).

Yesterday evening, Bob the drummer and I played a farewell dinner for my old boss at a local brew house.

It was a stripped-down affair, equipment-wise. Me, one of my acoustics, Bob on his cajon drum, my vocal mic, and a 300w Fender PA system.

We chose songs that I could manage without all the background harmonies, and it was (happily) a very successful evening.

About 40 of our own office mates were there, and the bar was packed, so there were probably at least 120 in attendance.

Our main server/waitress revealed to us that she used to sing in a band in Birmingham, so we had the pleasure of getting her on stage (borrowing my guitar and vocal mic) a few times that evening.

The girl sang really well, and Bob and I enjoyed supporting her as her fellow employees and managers looked on with great pleasure.

It was a great time!

:)

12669465_1006936946038048_1724813541821488745_n.jpg?oh=636d7fd2562ba985e62848417ef0cb52&oe=57701675

The hard part is watching other people enjoy hot wings and great bar food, but not eating anything yourself.

I learned a long time ago that you can't sing for $hit when your belly is full (difficult to project from the diaphragm), so whenever we play a gig, I eat a little bit in the late afternoon, and then starve for the evening.

:mellow:

I use to sing and had a good voice, I was told by others anyway. Lost that to Acid Reflux about 15 yrs ago (before they figured it out and that acid was burning up my vocal cords). My talking voice can even come & go now and often feels like a lump in it.

I still have great pitch, just can't sing with any range or for more than a song or two at best. And not loud. Singing and "Whispering" I was told was 2nd only to screaming in cord strain/damage. Oh well, lots of things change with & during life. Things don't always work the same. Some improve, some not so much. [biggrin]

Aster

I sing. I couldn't sing as a young man, and didn't sing in my first bands. I learned because I like to strum the acoustic at home, and well that lead to singing.

My current trio does a lot of three part harmonies, and that has helped me tremendously. The other two members are great, natural singers, and the fact they encourage (rather than merely tolerate) my singing has been huge. I still have no real technique, but once I know my part I can belt it out pretty well.

....all the stuff that you can get low paying gig's....

Hahaha!

Singing is also more than the actual art and science of vocals. Performing, you are the M.C. and have to keep the feedback between the audience and the band real and keep them interested....

Always a good thing. I was kind of disillusioned when the "performance" started being as important as the music - "You mean being a brilliant musician is not enough?" I guess the superbowl half-time show is the ultimate expression of this. [scared]

...but then, they simultaniously have a dislike for me for having that ability to conduct a great set....which only feeds my complex of self concsiousness.

That's not likely the case. They're probably glad they don't have to do it. Who said it's like golf? When you take a full swing, you cannot be thinking "I hope I don't slice." You have to keep your eye on the ball and be confident the ball is going to fly as you envisioned it. [smile]

I do sing. I'm not good at it.

I sing background with Blown Out, and I sing my own songs when recording. I bury my voice in the mix because its not good enough.

I sing better when the recorder isnt running. But you should hear how my voice sounds in my head! Its incredible. :---)

I do sing. I'm not good at it.

I sing background with Blown Out, and I sing my own songs when recording. I bury my voice in the mix because its not good enough.

I sing better when the recorder isnt running. But you should hear how my voice sounds in my head! Its incredible. :---)

I listen to blown out a bit and your lead singer is awesome (as is your playing btw).

I had a go at recording some singing a few years ago with a good friend. Took about two hours. I recorded using a Tanglewood Acoustic and provided some vocals, My friend added the rest using a keybaord and Vienna Strings computer software.

I don't like it now... Had fun doing it though...

Regards

We have a female main singer. She doesn't want to sing songs like Girls got Rhythm. Go figure. I sing all of the male chauvinist songs.

I'm ok as a singer and really working on breathing, singing from the abdomen,etc.

We do Play that Funky Music and she sings,"I was an Asian Chicka, playing in a rock and roll band". We're a dance band so we play stuff like that.

It works.

Speaking of female singers, lead or sometimes lead, when I moved back here,

from So Cal, I suggested to anyone that I played with, about finding a good

female singer. I was shut down, immediately! And, for years after that,

every time I brought it up. They were even somewhat hostile, about the

notion, as often as not. Even though I continuously pointed out the obvious

advantages, to expanding the repertoire, beyond that which ever other band,

was playing (and, had been for 40+ years) that had no female vocalists, could

or would do. They just didn't want to know, for some reason???!

NOW, all of a sudden, every one of those guys, in their various

bands, has a female singer, fronting, and/or backup! HMMMM??? [tongue]:rolleyes:

CB

Speaking of female singers, lead or sometimes lead, when I moved back here,

from So Cal, I suggested to anyone that I played with, about finding a good

female singer. I was shut down, immediately! And, for years after that,

every time I brought it up. They were even somewhat hostile, about the

notion, as often as not. Even though I continuously pointed out the obvious

advantages, to expanding the repertoire, beyond that which ever other band,

was playing (and, had been for 40+ years) that had no female vocalists, could

or would do. They just didn't want to know, for some reason???!

NOW, all of a sudden, every one of those guys, in their various

bands, has a female singer, fronting, and/or backup! HMMMM??? [tongue]:rolleyes:

CB

They must have heard of your reputation with Chicks CB and didn't want the competition~

Archived