Gibson Brands Forums

So Who Can Sing?

Digger

I love to sing, just not that good at it, but would love to be.

In the car, in the shower, or around the fire-pit with friends and a few drinks. Mostly I sing along to music as I struggle to hold tune without it and some have said that my voice is alright, though I know that the more I have to drink, the better I get. Grin~ I think it takes a few drinks to reduce my inhibitions about singing in front of others.

I've thought about getting singing lessons but it seems silly at my age, and I probably won't bother now.

I think that singing (like playing a musical instrument) must release endorphins as it can feel so good sometimes but whatever, I enjoy it.

How do you go in the singing stakes?

I can sing, on key, most of the time! But, I'm no "Lead Singer," by any stretch. Even though,

I often have to do those duties, in various band situations. Never really trained for it, in

my youth, so I don't actually KNOW, how to breath right, to keep from straining my voice...AKA

using the diaphragm, instead of straining one's vocal chords, to reach the same notes. Always

been a bit envious, of great, natural singers. Or "natural" musicians, in general, for that

matter. [biggrin]

CB

I can't sing. When I was younger, there was a time when I was getting competent at SOME singing, but it was limited.

I can't hold a tune, can't find a note, and I don't even like my own voice. It's really bad, and to be quite honest, back when I was playing, it was a detriment to my "career".

The other thing, for me, was/is I sometimes have trouble remembering lyrics, except

the parts I used to sing, on a regular basis. I can sing along, with the song's

actual singer, but if I have to sing it, as the lead, or by myself, too often I

lose track, on the lyrics! [blush] But, I notice that doesn't stop a lot of other

people! LOL [blink][biggrin]

CB

I sing. I won't be in a band that can't harmonize with at least three voices. I'd prefer trading off on lead singing, it helps a band go the night. Being a guitar player that sings harmonies is a gold mine in the music business. After a bass player or drummer that can stay upright for more than thirty minutes.

rct

I guess it's like golf I sure try really hard! :)

actually I sing a lot, always trying to get it where I like it, but I guess none of us like hearing yourself sing all that much.

I know how to work out the harmonies too.

I agree with rct, vocals (good vocals) are a key factor in any bands success. most people in the crowd wont know one good axman from another, but they'll spot a good voice right away. it does "sell" the band in terms of being marketable.

similar to CB and others - I can and do sing ok, but prefer not to be lead singer. I like doing harmonies too. Singing impacts my (already barely adequate) guitar playing and vice versa so I need to do a lot of practice doing both at once (writing the songs helps to some degree). I really need a good monitor set up to hear myself loud and strong to feel confident singing and not overstretch - given that, then I'm ok in my Springsteen/Neil type style,

I can sing, on key, most of the time! But, I'm no "Lead Singer," by any stretch. Even though,

I often have to do those duties, in various band situations. Never really trained for it, in

my youth, so I don't actually KNOW, how to breath right, to keep from straining my voice...AKA

using the diaphragm, instead of straining one's vocal chords, to reach the same notes. Always

been a bit envious, of great, natural singers. Or "natural" musicians, in general, for that

matter. [biggrin]

CB

Reading your lines I guess there are just a few more things you need to think of, and then you are a lead vocalist. Leaving the vocal chords deep in the throat is much better for endurance than pressing them up. The root of tongue provides all you need to supplement forming your mouth and your nose. Except for actual singing use your nose only for breathing in and out and keep your mouth shut - this will prevent your respiratory tract from drying out.

I started taking the "singing role" becasuse I have a "cover-freindly" voice. I can play the Eagles or Lynyrd Synyrd and it works. I think most of us started playing covers. So Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Beatles (Lennon) and stuff like Tom Petty, Dire Straights and all the stuff that you can get low paying gig's I could sing well. Even Stevie Ray.

But now I am performing originals, and I am having major self confidence problems with my voice. It's like that dream where you show up to school in your underoos. I am scared to play the songs....for one, they aren't standards, so I have to actually think about the lyrics (which I'm also self conscious about) and be thinking damn, that's a stupid f-ing line, while I'm singing harmonies in songs that I made and don't like very much.

Singing is also more than the actual art and science of vocals. Performing, you are the M.C. and have to keep the feedback between the audience and the band real and keep them interested, whilst taking a "conductor" role in the arrangement. Keeping everyone in the building happy band, audience, venue owner or manager, and myself is something that only happens when the universal energy plugs straight into my soul, and puts me into the "zone" and when you are there, the rest of the band feels good like "where going somewhere" during a good set, but then, they simultaniously have a dislike for me for having that ability to conduct a great set....which only feeds my complex of self concsiousness.

But now I am performing originals, and I am having major self confidence problems with my voice. It's like that dream where you show up to school in your underoos. I am scared to play the songs....for one, they aren't standards, so I have to actually think about the lyrics (which I'm also self conscious about) and be thinking damn, that's a stupid f-ing line, while I'm singing harmonies in songs that I made and don't like very much.

yeah - i'm right there with you on so many of your points Jay! [biggrin]

John Lennon used to hate his singing voice, as well! I've always thought of his, as

one of the more iconic voices, in Rock & Roll! So...???

CB

Lennon did in fact, CB, hate hearing his own voice, although like you I've heard it described as the "perfect RnR voice" (think Twist and Shout and Mr. Moonlight for a couple of good examples).

As for me, I'm no lead singer but have done my share of backup and harmony, as well as the occasional "lead" vocal. I do quite often however, amuse myself for hours on end singing and playing my acoustics to a lot of the "old" songs I grew up with, as well as more current tunes that suit themselves, but lots of time spent on those "party" or "Hey do you know...?" types (Margaritaville, et al)

Hey, who told Neil Young, Joe Cocker, Bob Dylan, et al that they could "sing"?

I can sing, I sang as a youth in madrigal boys glee and choir. My range was bass, baratone and tenner but as I aged it's more base. Now I hate singing in front of people and my two hearing aides throws me off. I can't tell how I sound how load or soft my voice is. I cannot play guitar and sing except for a few songs I've played so many times as a kid and still do. I will sing and play if I know my wife is gone, if she hears me, she criticizes me on my timing. That's why I can't sing while playing. But if she's gone, the dog burrys his head under a pillow. What the heck? msp_flapper.gif

Lennon did in fact, CB, hate hearing his own voice, although like you I've heard it described as the "perfect RnR voice" (think Twist and Shout and Mr. Moonlight for a couple of good examples).

As for me, I'm no lead singer but have done my share of backup and harmony, as well as the occasional "lead" vocal. I do quite often however, amuse myself for hours on end singing and playing my acoustics to a lot of the "old" songs I grew up with, as well as more current tunes that suit themselves, but lots of time spent on those "party" or "Hey do you know...?" types (Margaritaville, et al)

Hey, who told Neil Young, Joe Cocker, Bob Dylan, et al that they could "sing"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU4yTCtrqmI

Sounds good to me.

I guess that's Paul. I dont know **** about the Beatles, but like this tune.

You have to fix that bro. You have to convincingly deliver yer own songs, singing them good comes way distant second after a happy, confident performance. Look great doing it and they won't even know if you suck or not. You might have to get someone else to sing them.

rct

I started taking the "singing role" becasuse I have a "cover-freindly" voice. I can play the Eagles or Lynyrd Synyrd and it works. I think most of us started playing covers. So Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Beatles (Lennon) and stuff like Tom Petty, Dire Straights and all the stuff that you can get low paying gig's I could sing well. Even Stevie Ray.

Singing is also more than the actual art and science of vocals. Performing, you are the M.C. and have to keep the feedback between the audience and the band real and keep them interested, whilst taking a "conductor" role in the arrangement. Keeping everyone in the building happy band, audience, venue owner or manager, and myself is something that only happens when the universal energy plugs straight into my soul, and puts me into the "zone" and when you are there, the rest of the band feels good like "where going somewhere" during a good set, but then, they simultaniously have a dislike for me for having that ability to conduct a great set....which only feeds my complex of self concsiousness.

Pulling together is the key. Jealousy is of no help. Every band player should appreciate the abilities of the bandmates. Perhaps it helps to imagine the opposite, that is a common performance problem no band member can solve. Everyone should realize this would be the worst case.

Interestingly I do much easier with performing originals. There is no standard my vocals can be compared to, and I consider this an advantage. On the other hand I rather feel the need to sing less exalted than to express myself intentionally. My lyrics are so heartfelt that it may take years after writing them until I'm above them, if ever. So I often have to sing them cooler than they are meant initially.

Playing Skynyrd was never that serious an "art" bro. If yer thinking and doing all those things in yer band you are most definitely doing it wrong. If your band has dislike for you because of what you are doing and how you are doing it, you need a new band.

rct

I love to sing, just not that good at it, but would love to be.

In the car, in the shower, or around the fire-pit with friends and a few drinks. Mostly I sing along to music as I struggle to hold tune without it and some have said that my voice is alright, though I know that the more I have to drink, the better I get. Grin~ I think it takes a few drinks to reduce my inhibitions about singing in front of others.

I've thought about getting singing lessons but it seems silly at my age, and I probably won't bother now.

I think that singing (like playing a musical instrument) must release endorphins as it can feel so good sometimes but whatever, I enjoy it.

How do you go in the singing stakes?

I've been singing since I was 6 years old (same age I started guitar). I feel (and know!) that I am a better singer than guitar player (by leaps and bounds). It's really the only time I feel confident and don't feel self conscious about my vision or the way I look, I just get in a zone where none of that matters because I know I can do it and enjoy singing to an audience (or in the shower, in the car, while I'm cleaning...) I actually found a website where I have been getting vocal exercises (and it's free!). The person who runs the site is a professional vocal coach (she is actually from Australia, as a matter of fact!) Her name is Kerri Ho and the name of her site is The Songbird Tree (www.thesongbirdtree.com) and she has a YouTube Channel. If you enjoy singing, you may want to check it out. She goes through all the basics and gives great vocal exercises. I actually started using the exercises two months prior to a Talent Show I was in last summer and I feel that it helped me a lot! I sang Adele ' s "Rolling In The Deep", which is a vocally challenging song because of the regular changes between Head Voice and Chest Voice. Doing the training gave me a lot more confidence to go out on stage and let it rip. (Other than my voice going dry on me just as I started, I was very happy with how I did. Granted, I didn't win, but that wasn't my goal. I just wanted to get out there and have fun.)

It's never too late to learn and if it's something you like to do, give it a try!

Yesterday night, when I arrived for lessons, I have witnessed a choir fight.

My teacher is a conductor of a choir. They are rehearsing for an event where they are going to perform contemporary pieces of music, instead of the usual classical repertoire. Not easy ones to sing or listen to. She admitted, that it will be rather for pro listeners, as one has to understand what's going on in the song to appreciate it.

So, when Her husband opened the door for me, I heard voices of a very passionate debate coming from the living room. There was a huge, middle aged man inside whining. After He left, She explained the situation. The pieces are so complicated that She has to rehearse them in groups before the whole choir will be able to sing it together. The man was pissed off, because He found it very exhausting to intonate augmented 4th and minor 7th row after row. Her point was, if they continue to do the same classical pieces over and over again, they will be going in circles professionally. But, if they manage it to learn, everything else will be a piece of cake to learn.

Probably, this story has nothing to do with OP, but I thought to share it.

Cheers... Bence

glad that you did Bence. that vignette tallies so much with my experiences of continental Europe in context if not specific content that it reminds me that its been a couple of years now... and that i must visit Budapest before too long

...just add snowcapped Alps, strong cigarettes and small cars. Love it!

Archived