Gibson Brands Forums

intermittent 3-way toggle switch

G Mac

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Plus Top Pro that I bought last year and am having problems with the toggle switch cutting in and out. The problem is intermittent and occurs on both pickups. This is a real problem at the gig as you can well imagine. if I flip the switch back and forth vigorously a few times it clears up but often returns in a few minutes or the next day. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and knows how to remedy it. I would greatly appreciate any help/advice on the subject as it is incredibly annoying. Thanks!

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Plus Top Pro that I bought last year and am having problems with the toggle switch cutting in and out. The problem is intermittent and occurs on both pickups. This is a real problem at the gig as you can well imagine. if I flip the switch back and forth vigorously a few times it clears up but often returns in a few minutes or the next day. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and knows how to remedy it. I would greatly appreciate any help/advice on the subject as it is incredibly annoying. Thanks!

Your issue is extremely common, once you clean the switch and do it regularly, your problem will disappear. Unless the switch is now defective. Your cavity is closed, my Dot is open so you'll not need to clean this as often as I do.

Periodic cleaning (once every month or two at the most) with spray contact cleaner (sparingly) works wonders. I use Deoxit D5 but any brand will do.

If the problem persists, an upgrade Switchcraft toggle is a great and inexpensive solution.

Steve112, how do you spray it on your Dot? Do you just spray from the front? Does it affect the finish? I have an ES-175 and an LP Special II. The LP can be done from the cavity, but the ES-175 doesn't allow that.

Steve112, how do you spray it on your Dot? Do you just spray from the front? Does it affect the finish? I have an ES-175 and an LP Special II. The LP can be done from the cavity, but the ES-175 doesn't allow that.

On the Dot, I can manipulate the nozzle into the f-hole to hit the switch. On your 175 I'd first try from the top but if that didn't do it I'd carefully loosen the switch taking care not to let it fall into the guitar. As long as you get even a small amount in, it will work. It also depends on the actual shape of the switch, you might have to attempt to reach it from the pup cavity but that's a PITA and I really have no clue as to how it is positioned in there.

I know that the Deoxit does not hurt poly or standard guitar plastics but am unsure about lacquer and can't find reliable info one way or the other! Talk to any tech and they should know, as Deoxit is the go-to cleaner they use. In any event I always immediately clean any area that has contact with it. Keep a clean abrasive free cloth or paper towel handy before you spray anything and shield, or mask off, as best you can. I've shot my Strat five-way switch from the front on advice from my tech and it worked perfectly.

Best practice is not to spray (or get over-spray) on to any lacquer finish unless you know FOR SURE that it will do no harm!

First, "Thanks!" to Steve112 and sparquelito for your responses. I took the guitar to Guitar Center where I bought it to have it looked at as I have their service coverage. The tech there did in fact spray the toggle with DeoxIt and that seems to have worked. I purchased a can of my own for future use and am hoping that it will keep the problem at bay. Thanks again for your assistance. Play on!

Archived