Gibson Brands Forums

Which LP Standard should I keep?

wickdawg

I kind of on accident ended up with 2 Les Paul Standards. Don't ask how, it's a long story. I plan on selling one because I really don't need 2 of them, but I'm struggling over which one to keep and which one to sell. Which one would you guys keep?

The first is a 2005 Standard Plus (I verified the serial with Gibson) It's Desert Burst color. The pickups have Gibson engraved with the Patent Applied For on them. It has a nice flame that's more apparent than it appears in the pics, so I included one with the flash on the camera.

The next one is a 2013 Standard Premium Plus (also verified with Gibson and as having a AAA top (they couldn't verify the grade of the top of the 2005 because those types of details were not available for that far back)). The color is Honey Burst. It has the Burstbucker Pro pickups with the quick connect, coil splitting, bypass, and phase options. I also like the function of the locking tuners, but I also like the classic Les Paul look of the tuners on the 2005. Also, just for your information, the 2005s have a blank truss rod cover, but I replaced it with one that say Standard on it.

Both of them have been set up great and sound amazing. I'm not sure how much I'll use the push/pull options on the 2013, but I do like the color and flame a bit better. But they both sound great and are in excellent shape. I need to sell one, but I'm really struggling on which one to sell and which to keep.

The 2005

DSC03164_zpssvpdvogl.jpg

DSC03165_zpsaecfmh70.jpg

DSC03090_zpsp4q64juw.jpg

DSC03100_zpssrpmzbb8.jpg

The 2013

DSC03156_zpsbygz6lqw.jpg

DSC03160_zps73cyl6by.jpg

DSC03069_zps8ve7j3bb.jpg

Hello!

If You have to sell one, but You love both of them the same, here is an advice...

Advertise both at relatively high price for an used guitar. See which one goes first.

Cheers... Bence

Not a bad idea. I have considered doing that. I don't need to sell one, I just really have no need for two. I've got all the bases covered, I have an American Strat, a 52 American Vintage Tele, a fantastic Martin 000 acoustic and these two Les Pauls.

I'm just curious which one you guys would keep and why.

Hm.

I bet, the fellow forumites will be troubled to answer that too.

But, what I would do, - considering both sound too similar - is to modify one of them. Maybe, I'd put P94 single-coils, or Seymour Duncan P-Rails in one of them.

Then again, which one. 😃

Very nice guitars! Keep them both.

Cheers... Bence

Guest Farnsbarns

You might not like my answer but here it is...

Both of them.

Why?

There should be one you prefer by miles. I have struggled with this but they're all different and you need to find the one. When you have you'll know. I don't think either can be it because you don't know.

Keep the one that sounds the most like what you believe a lp should. I have a few LPs for sale right now because since I got my 50s tribute I haven't touched them. I love the neck, the action and the p90 tone. I really really love the neck. The Classic and the Less+ just feel dead and tinny in comparison to the p90s. They both cost a lot more than the tribute and have markedly superior build and finish. They just got no soul.

Always go with the one you know is the one. As had been said above - that is the one you reach for every time.

They are both beautiful guitars. A tough decision based on only on looks. I was up to three LP's, one being a double cut, so it did not figure into the mix when I decided one had to go. I kept the one that felt and sounded the best to me. It turned out to be a very easy decision to make for me. So Farnsbarns maybe onto something, you may want to look for a LP that you will never want to sell. I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be the correct decision.

Also, it should be noted that probably the main reason I got the '13 for so cheap was that dingle****** put emg Wyldes in it but he also sent me the original electronics. I promptly removed those and sold them so it made the deal even better with the money from the emg's

Based on the pups, I would keep the 05.

But that a matter of taste.

In your position I would play one every day for about a week, then put it down & play the other for a further week.

That should decide it. If it doesnt, You should keep both. If you still are determined to sell one, flip a coin.

Can anyone tell me more about the pickups I described in the 2005? The neck and bridge are both the same size in that one whilst the bridge in the 2013 is slightly wider than the neck.

It looks like I had unintentionally steered you wrong. I had thought the 2005 pups were a lower output type but according to the LP forum they are Burstbuckers Pros also. So it seems you have the same pups on both guitars!

I also found a Scott Grove review of the 2005 LP STD. He likes it a lot BTW.

Based on the pups, I would keep the 05.

But that a matter of taste.

In your position I would play one every day for about a week, then put it down & play the other for a further week.

That should decide it. If it doesnt, You should keep both. If you still are determined to sell one, flip a coin.

What do you personally like about the 05 pickups vs the ones on the '13?

Edit: sorry. You already asnwered the question.

However, the neck and bridge pickups on the '05 are the same size whilst the bridge pickup is slightly larger than the neck on the '13. The holes on a Gibson part humbucker cover for the neck align perfectly for the bridge and neck on the '05. But the holes for the bridge cover don't align and the piece is slightly wider. So they're not exactly the same pickups.

Does anyone know anything about this? Or when the went to a wider bridge pickup?

Archived