Gibson Brands Forums

Fixing Stupid

Jim Wilson

When the J45 Rosewood guitars first came out (2002?) a friend in Nashville arranged for me to get one with a natural top. Lovely guitar, and I used it to play numerous gigs around the country. Then, about 2008, I wandered into Transpecos Guitars and saw a brand new Martin D35, just like what I'd always been wanting. You know what happens next. Yep, I swapped the J45rw for the Martin. That evening, I was already regretting the trade, after all, I had the money to just buy the Martin outright. Early next morning, I headed for the guitar shop to buy my J45 back only to find out that our constable, Henry Ogletree, had been there before me and bought it. Furthermore, Henry did not want to part with the Gibson. He did, however, agree to let me have first shot at it if he ever decided to part with it. About 2 years ago, I ran into him at the post office, and he agreed to sell me the Gibson...at a very fair price. The guitar was just as it was when I had lost my head and traded it. Now I have got the J45 Rosewood back and intend to keep it. Henry is running for re-election and, needless to say, the good man has got my vote!

Is there a lesson here? Yeah, but who pays attention to lessons?

Looks like it was meant for you to own that particular J45. Now, don't make the same mistake twice...lol.....We all learn (to varying degress) from our mistakes, but that doesn't stop us from making them. Over thirty years ago I played at The Missouri State Fair, in Sedalia, Mo. Had a new Gibby Hummingbird. The big tent we were in was hot and people were drinking beer. I laid my guitar on a chair to talk to some people I know. It was right beside me. A drunk stumbled over the chair and fell on the guitar. I learned from that mistake. When my guitar isn't in my hands, it's in the case.

I recently bought back a J50 that I sold three years ago. I love it and am happy I did. I also love my Martin D35. :)

And I have horse traded guitars for a decade now... Likely out of boredom. It really is silly, and I say this from my own experience... Or it was silly for me; I won't judge anyone else.

I'm pretty sure my favorite guitars shops won't like reading this, but I am d u n done. I love my J45, J50, and D35. My kids enjoy the other acquisitions, and there is only one I would sell still- the D15M. I won't though because it has inlays that are personal, and I wouldn't get much for the guitar to be worth it.

I know a bunch of you are saying "yeah right", and I guess my actions will have to speak louder than my words, but I am really happy with my guitars.

Oh... and Welcome to the Forum!

Yep, I learned from my experience...at least this experience...this one time...I still have the D35. In fact, I haven't traded in a guitar since that fiasco. Just recently, I got a J45 standard from Carter Vintage Guitars that had belonged to Tim Hensley, a singer/songwriter who played in Kenny Chesney's band. In spite of it's exposure to the plain-vanilla modern country, it is a nice guitar and I think I am really going to enjoy playing it.

When the J45 Rosewood guitars first came out (2002?) a friend in Nashville arranged for me to get one with a natural top.

The first year of the J-45 Rosewood was 1999.

By 2002, appointments had been slightly changed.

I have an '02 J-45 Rosewood, and it is indeed a keeper.

Glad you were able to get yours back!

The first year of the J-45 Rosewood was 1999.

By 2002, appointments had been slightly changed.

I have an '02 J-45 Rosewood, and it is indeed a keeper.

Glad you were able to get yours back!

I don't know if it counts but.... The J-45 in Indian Rosewood first came out in 1994 as the J-45 Deluxe. The retail was $2,999.00. Gibson shipped 69 of them.

It went up to $3,199.00 in 1995. Gibson shipped 10 of the '95 model. It was gone by 1996.

It's one of the great mysteries of Gibson marketing as the exact same guitar reappeared in 1999 and the retail was $2,859.00. $140.00 less expensive that the 1994 version. 2002 Gibson shipped 127 in Antique Natural and 5 in Vintage Sunburst. These like the J-45 Deluxe are listed with gold hardware.

Cool story, great guitar, happy ending.

Archived