Gibson Brands Forums

Just bought a 1993 Epiphone Sheraton

Dr.Gibson1988

It just so happens that i too own a 1993 Epiphone Sheraton and mine is a fantastic playing and sounding guitar. Low and fast, very nice sound even when played unplugged and just noodling around. Mine is a keeper and i love it. Mine is in the natural finish and is 100% originial.

What cons???? '93 Sheris were made in Korea's Samick factory, which has a reputation for high quality. The Sheraton is a beautifully made and versatile instrument --- between the guitar's controls and those on your amp, you can get a variety of sounds out of it. Playability is usually excellent, as long as the guitar is set up properly.

Enjoy the heck out of it!

Mine is a 98 and love it. Great sound. Great player!

However all of my "gold" tarnished off within two years. Does your gold look ok?

db

I have a 96 Sheraton in natural finish that I bought in 96. And yes the gold (pickup covers) on mine are a bit tarnished too. But it looks great in the natural finish and the neck and headstock inlay are eye-catching. I love the neck on it; very comfortable and fast.

The only con that some might say is that the pickups are a bit mellow or jazzy sounding.

It's a fantastic "bang for the buck" guitar,for the amount I paid it's awesome.

Samick was making some excellent guitars in that era. As was mentioned, the bridge spacing on most Korean Epiphones is slightly wider than normal. The mini pots are the worst thing about the 1990s Korean ones, but they are a cheap fix if they go bad. If they get scratchy, try the spray once and then just replace them if the noise comes back.

Samick was making some excellent guitars in that era. As was mentioned, the bridge spacing on most Korean Epiphones is slightly wider than normal. The mini pots are the worst thing about the 1990s Korean ones, but they are a cheap fix if they go bad. If they get scratchy, try the spray once and then just replace them if the noise comes back.

Im needing to replace the Nut, and Bridge saddles any advice on what i should go with? what about Graph Tech, or something off Stew Mac?

I have a 92 natural finish. Pros are they are built very well. Cons then bridges have strange string spacing making replacement hard and the electronics and pickups aren't very good. The f holes are also tiny on them. Congrats while having some cons these are great guitars.

Im needing to replace the Nut, and Bridge saddles any advice on what i should go with? what about Graph Tech, or something off Stew Mac?

I have a good friend, that owns an early 90's (Korean) Sheraton. He loves it!

But, he's changed the pots, switches, and pickups (to Gibson 57's), as he prefers

those USA parts, and pickups, to the Asian variety. But, that's his personal

preference.

CB

What cons???? '93 Sheris were made in Korea's Samick factory, which has a reputation for high quality. The Sheraton is a beautifully made and versatile instrument --- between the guitar's controls and those on your amp, you can get a variety of sounds out of it. Playability is usually excellent, as long as the guitar is set up properly.

Enjoy the heck out of it!

Replacing the nut should be easy --- you can find any number of replacements online depending on your preferred material --- bone, Tusq, etc. --- although you may need to trim it for proper fit, and cut your own slots or have a luthier do it.

Bridge saddles can be tricky --- make sure you measure so the replacements will fit properly.

Replacing the nut should be easy --- you can find any number of replacements online depending on your preferred material --- bone, Tusq, etc. --- although you may need to trim it for proper fit, and cut your own slots or have a luthier do it.

Bridge saddles can be tricky --- make sure you measure so the replacements will fit properly.

any suggestions on the bridge and bridge saddles upgrades?

Mine is a 98 and love it. Great sound. Great player!

However all of my "gold" tarnished off within two years. Does your gold look ok?

db

They will do that...many Gibsons and other "good" brands do the same. I think they sometimes vary from part to part and from player to player...some people's sweat is very acidic and hard on metal. My first Gibson was a '68 Les Paul Custom that had blisters in the tailpiece and pickup covers from the player's hands...

any suggestions on the bridge and bridge saddles upgrades?

Replace the whole bridge with a GOTOH TOM...wider for better intonation, more solid design, no springs, stable and no rattles or parts that fall out. About $30. Intonation is simple if you have an electronic tuner a cable and a screw driver.

• 3 weeks later...

My MIK 1989 Sheraton has small F holes, you have to use mini pots as full size ones won't fit, but they sound good, so it's not an issue. I replaced the terrible sounding pickups with PAFs, huge improvement. Action and finish on mine is excellent, great playing guitar. I just wish I had upgraded the pickups 27 years ago! The overall build quality, and wood quality is much nicer on the older made in Korea Sheratons. I have heard that some have rubbery necks, but hey, this can be true of most any mass produced guitar, regardless of where it was made.

One thing I noticed is that the older MIK Sheratons tend to got for about $50 to $100 more than the newer ones, depending on their condition.

• 4 years later...

I have a supposed early 90s Sheraton that I got in trade at a guitar show. It has no serial # on the head stock or inside  the f- holes that I can see . the only thing that seems to date it is the much beefier tune-a-matic bridge that seems indicative of late 80s early 90s Sheratons . A little help here would be great . Thank you .