Gibson Brands Forums

Zero fret nut fix not in Australia

oranos_1

Hello all, I purchased a 2015 Les paul and the brass nut has sadly worn down so badly I must stop using it. I called the music shop from which I purchased it from they spoke with the importer for Australia not only do they not have the new nut fix but can't even give me a brass nut replacement as they have none so frustrating [cursing] Gibson USA tell me to take it up with the importer [crying] I guess my baby sits in the case [thumbdn]

Man that's a shame.. With those soft nuts they are selling a faulty product... We all know how important the nut is to a guitars setup and with Gibsons and their big headstock angle, even more important.

Kinda crappy..

If I were you, rather than wasting a whole guitar id take off the auto tuners and install some standard ones... And replace the nut with a normal one...

Then at least you will have a playable guitar.

Man that's a shame.. With those soft nuts they are selling a faulty product... We all know how important the nut is to a guitars setup and with Gibsons and their big headstock angle, even more important.

Kinda crappy..

If I were you, rather than wasting a whole guitar id take off the auto tuners and install some standard ones... And replace the nut with a normal one...

Then at least you will have a playable guitar.

I think you might be right with your suggestion. I just didn't want the voided warranty [tongue] But better than it sitting !

I think you might be right with your suggestion. I just didn't want the voided warranty [tongue] But better than it sitting !

Yeah, that's a great warranty. Wouldn't want to waste that.

rct

Hello all, I purchased a 2015 Les paul and the brass nut has sadly worn down so badly I must stop using it. I called the music shop from which I purchased it from they spoke with the importer for Australia not only do they not have the new nut fix but can't even give me a brass nut replacement as they have none so frustrating [cursing] Gibson USA tell me to take it up with the importer [crying] I guess my baby sits in the case [thumbdn]

That is a disgrace [omg] . I can hardly believe that you could be treated that way over something so easy to remedy.

Is there some way you can elevate this? There must be a complaints procedure.

If you get mired down in red tape, maybe you could buy one. You certainly should not have to but its worth getting it fixed with the replacement. I wore ruts into my brass nut in a few hours. The choice of brass was a fault of the company. They cant just ignore your plight. Its Gibson's responsibility.

That is a disgrace [omg] . I can hardly believe that you could be treated that way over something so easy to remedy.

Is there some way you can elevate this? There must be a complaints procedure.

If you get mired down in red tape, maybe you could buy one. You certainly should not have to but its worth getting it fixed with the replacement. I wore ruts into my brass nut in a few hours. The choice of brass was a fault of the company. They cant just ignore your plight. Its Gibson's responsibility.

Sadly there is nothing I can do because all repairs and warranty work MUST go through the importer not direct with Gibson USA and they have a policy that protects them saying it's the importers job with fixing it :(

I wouldn't get rid of the G Force just because the nut is worn.

The thing is what can he do? If theres no after market version of the adjustable zero fret nut then replacing it with say a non zero fret brass nut (or whatever you can find) means it will have to be installed properly by someone who knows what they are doing which will cost (and he looses a feature of that adjustable nut).... Im just guessing but I reckon a non metal nut will get eaten through pretty quickly too.

If Gibson wont help and the place he bought it from wont help I don't see what other option he has.. I mean he could raise a bigger complaint from the shop he bought it from and threaten them with some legal action... But again to see that through will cost and take time..

To me it just seems an easier and cheaper option to get rid of the GForce.

Id also say if he is still within any returns policy time.. Take it back ... If it don't work as it should hed have the right too.

Im sorry.. Im really not against GForce but if they are selling guitars that don't work after a short time cos of the soft nuts causing buzzing and pinging and they wont send replacements cos its outside of their warranty area or whatever I think that's really bad for a product that's so expensive.. It should work and shouldn't need the owner to do anything apart from set it up to their liking. It would be like selling a car where the breaks only work for a few weeks before they wear down (ok that's an extreme example).. But its not really acceptable.

By "importer" do you mean the shop that sold you the guitar?

No not the shop the international distributior for my country that imports them from Gibson. This is from Gibsons USA website -

" How do I obtain warranty service?

If you require warranty service in the U.S., you may contact your nearest authorized warranty service center.

Please note! For purchases made outside of the US, please contact your authorized distributor or local dealer for warranty service information. "

The thing is what can he do? If theres no after market version of the adjustable zero fret nut then replacing it with say a non zero fret brass nut (or whatever you can find) means it will have to be installed properly by someone who knows what they are doing which will cost (and he looses a feature of that adjustable nut).... Im just guessing but I reckon a non metal nut will get eaten through pretty quickly too.

If Gibson wont help and the place he bought it from wont help I don't see what other option he has.. I mean he could raise a bigger complaint from the shop he bought it from and threaten them with some legal action... But again to see that through will cost and take time..

To me it just seems an easier and cheaper option to get rid of the GForce.

Id also say if he is still within any returns policy time.. Take it back ... If it don't work as it should hed have the right too.

Im sorry.. Im really not against GForce but if they are selling guitars that don't work after a short time cos of the soft nuts causing buzzing and pinging and they wont send replacements cos its outside of their warranty area or whatever I think that's really bad for a product that's so expensive.. It should work and shouldn't need the owner to do anything apart from set it up to their liking. It would be like selling a car where the breaks only work for a few weeks before they wear down (ok that's an extreme example).. But its not really acceptable.

If the shop won't solve the problem he should return the guitar. He shouldn't have to track down people at Gibson or distributors or any of that crap.

As for the nut issues, that's still a mystery to me. I still have the soft brass nut on my 2015 and it's working just fine. If it ever fails I plan to make a steel replacement to just drop in to the brass frame. However plastic should work just fine too if that's your thing. My 2010 Raw Power has the MineTune installed with the stock plastic nut and it's working just fine. My 2009 SG has a Min eTune with a GraphTech nut because it has a StetsBar. So far none of the nuts on my 3 auto tune guitar have exhibited any excessive wear. Certainly nothing that would effect play ability.

But there's no need to get rid of the G Force.

If you think about it there's no real reason the G Force or Min eTune should damage a nut anymore than any other tuner would. It's just tuning the guitar. Something everyone does to every guitar. Even drastic pitch changes aren't moving the string that far.

But Gibson guitars are expensive and if the shop wouldn't stand behind their goods I would return it and have no more to do with them.

No not the shop the international distributior for my country that imports them from Gibson. This is from Gibsons USA website -

" How do I obtain warranty service?

If you require warranty service in the U.S., you may contact your nearest authorized warranty service center.

Please note! For purchases made outside of the US, please contact your authorized distributor or local dealer for warranty service information. "

Local dealer is the shop you bought it from. I would make this their problem. They can fix it or take it back.

Local dealer is the shop you bought it from. I would make this their problem. They can fix it or take it back.

I always keep saying, we don't do business with Gibson, we do business with dealers. It's not a defending Gibson thing, it's that it's hard to hold someone responsible who isn't the one who you paid, and wasn't involved in the transaction.

IF there are problems, it's up to the dealer to go after it, not you.

I don't claim to know the situation, but I would guess if there is a solution (nuts available), Gibson would have given them to the dealer or importer the dealer got from.

As for the nut issues, that's still a mystery to me. I still have the soft brass nut on my 2015 and it's working just fine. If it ever fails I plan to make a steel replacement to just drop in to the brass frame. However plastic should work just fine too if that's your thing. My 2010 Raw Power has the MineTune installed with the stock plastic nut and it's working just fine. My 2009 SG has a Min eTune with a GraphTech nut because it has a StetsBar. So far none of the nuts on my 3 auto tune guitar have exhibited any excessive wear. Certainly nothing that would effect play ability.

Yeah I wasn't 100% sure exactly what was going on but found this video... It shows the zero fret wearing away.. Which would certainly cause issues. When he shows the close ups of the brass one, nasty.... The newer designed nuts, the nut side is a bit higher than the original ones which lessens the angle on the zero fret and thus seems to have cleared the issue up (if you can get one that is [rolleyes] )

I'm not questioning that there is an issue/. We have seen enough complaints here from actual 2015 owners to confirm that. I'm just wondering why I haven't had an issue with mine yet. I should talk to Gibson and get a chrome one anywat. They look better. [thumbup]

I'm not questioning that there is an issue/. We have seen enough complaints here from actual 2015 owners to confirm that. I'm just wondering why I haven't had an issue with mine yet. I should talk to Gibson and get a chrome one anywat. They look better. [thumbup]

I was wondering about that too. Have you checked for ruts? Unless you bend close to the nut you may not experience any 'pinging'.

You probably haven't had an issue yet because you may have the newer brass version. There are two brass nuts floating around out there. Gibson recognized the problem early on and started using a different one, although still brass. When I bought mine and compared it to my buddies, the first thing I noticed was the nut was different. They are both brass, but mine is the shallower version with a smaller zero fret. Mine is now so notched I would consider it destroyed. His is still fine.

When I was on the phone with Gibson customer service the rep said they started using the new version early after the release of the line. I would imagine since they are now replacing these notched nuts with titanium ones instead of the newer brass version, that the newer brass version also eventually wears down.

You probably haven't had an issue yet because you may have the newer brass version. There are two brass nuts floating around out there. Gibson recognized the problem early on and started using a different one, although still brass. When I bought mine and compared it to my buddies, the first thing I noticed was the nut was different. They are both brass, but mine is the shallower version with a smaller zero fret. Mine is now so notched I would consider it destroyed. His is still fine.

When I was on the phone with Gibson customer service the rep said they started using the new version early after the release of the line. I would imagine since they are now replacing these notched nuts with titanium ones instead of the newer brass version, that the newer brass version also eventually wears down.

When I went to try them out, it was early on and I tried that early version as well, with the wider slots. The problem I saw was they tended to bind, as in, not let the string slide easily across the nut. Same thing as a badly cut nut, which made tuning an issue.

My guess would be THAT was the problem they addressed in the first change, while still using brass, maybe hoping to also address the rut/grove issue, then they improved further with a better materiel.

When I went to try them out, it was early on and I tried that early version as well, with the wider slots. The problem I saw was they tended to bind, as in, not let the string slide easily across the nut. Same thing as a badly cut nut, which made tuning an issue.

My guess would be THAT was the problem they addressed in the first change, while still using brass, maybe hoping to also address the rut/grove issue, then they improved further with a better materiel.

That would explain the tuning issues I have as well, although it has been a bit better since they sent me a new tuning peg for the B string.

Archived