Gibson Brands Forums

EMG 57/66 in an SG standard

tomandrews22

Is it possible to put a set of EMG's (57 & 66) specifically in an SG standard? I have a gibson blood moon explorer and an SG standard, I switch back and forth for gigs and the explorer which has Gibson GEM active pickups just puts out so much more power than the SG, I was thinking about putting actives in my SG but I'm afraid of what it might do to the sound. Is this a bad idea?

"Is this a bad idea"

while of course, it is your axe, to do with what you wish... I'll just say that every time I've done mods that require using things like,, Oh, for example... a router... eventually it's always turned out to be a bad idea. [unsure]

"Is this a bad idea"

while of course, it is your axe, to do with what you wish... I'll just say that every time I've done mods that require using things like,, Oh, for example... a router... eventually it's always turned out to be a bad idea. [unsure]

Agree with kidblast; I'm very hesitant on any modifications that can't be easily undone.

Last thing I would do is routing!

I don't know, but thinking about EMG-ish sound, wouldn't a compressor paired with an overdrive/distortion help?

I also wouldn't consider routing for a battery compartment. Why not try passive EMGs? They make very fine ones.

A Guitar, needing batteries, is just WRONG! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

Well, it depends. Seven hybrid guitars of mine have active circuits. Five of them came stock with piezos and active electronics, two Gibsons among them, one Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess and one SG Supra.

Two MIM Floyd Rose Strats were modded to my desires. Each of them got two more routings and two additional cut-outs. Their basic concept is like that of my Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess. However, they just got added a second back cover while the Alex Lifeson Axcess has five of them - stock, mind you.

However, I would never have routed for a battery case to put active magnetic pickups into a guitar or bass.

Exactly; my Trad Pro has a battery box, but it's mounted into the cavity backplate, so if someone was to remove it, there's no redundant battery box or hole left if they ditch the active boost switch.

Same goes for a lot of the recent LP's offered by Gibson, like the classic and Less Plus, with the boost toggle switch.

I don't know about SG's, but is there any open space in the compartment where a similar solution could be applied? Better to cut a hole in an easily-replaced backplate, rather than rout into wood that won't grown back!

Archived