Gibson Brands Forums

Snake Rattle

Jim Wilson

This from a flat [picker conversation a couple of years ago: "

In case anybody is interested or doesn't know, the idea of rattlers in a guitar started with the fiddle. It was believed that the devil played the fiddle, so it was known as 'the devil's box' in the Bible belt. Consequently, women would not allow their husbands that played the fiddle to store them inside the home. So most were stored in barns, some even just hung on the wall. If there was a problem with mice the farmers would place a set of rattlesnake rattlers inside the instrument and it would supposedly keep the mice away. Somewhere in time the idea became that they actually influenced the tone, and guitar players began dropping them into the sound hole."

I wonder if they'd discourager Brown Recluse Spiders. I bet I stomp one of them in my guitar room every couple of months.

I'm not that scared of snakes but Brown Recluse spiders get my respect...and they are expanding their range. I don't think putting a Brown Recluse in your guitar would have quite the cachet as a rattle though, and it's liable to crawl out at the wrong moment. That quote sounds familiar.

Boys, I get the snake rattles only because I just can't have them crawling around in my yard (Note: it is easier to take the rattles off AFTER the snake is dead). Y'all go to messing with Brown Recluse spiders and you are on your own. I will give the rattles away (free) no need to send me any spiders in trade.

There was something in my old 37 L-0, so I thought it might be a rattle, but then it moved!!!!!

L0-Inside4b_zps6e3p8dkd.jpg

Kidding - photoshopped it ages ago.

But the previous names of where I live would surely be Snake River by Snake Bay previously known as Shark Bay! Everywhere! No rattles to warn us either. Closest call was on my pushbike as one was going across the bike track ahead and by the time I saw it, it was striking at me going past with my feet up over the handlebars! Yi Yi Yi YIIII

So I don't want any rattles thanks, might make the local black and brown and tiger snakes upset!

BluesKing777.

Lots of old-time fiddlers used snake rattles for sure. Also, they weren't averse to enlarging part of an f-hole to accommodate the rattle dropping in - you'll notice the lack of symmetry from time to time when inspecting an instrument. Sure has more class than the so-called tone balls that tend to take up residence in arch-top acoustic guitars.

Hahaha

Tone balls

Yeah - if you believe that, you're drinking the Kool Aid. Or at least hitting the "Hi - C " !

There's a town west of here whose politicians figured out how to make $. Like some towns have Marathons, or Oktoberfests to attract tourists. So they invented a "Rattlesnake Roundup". The hardy townspeople (which I"m sure does NOT include the politicians) go out and catch or kill thousands each year. Now, after 10 years or so of this, they've realized that each generation of rattlesnakes has learned to NOT rattle. So, they are using Darwin's Law to create Rattle snakes that won't give you a warning. Another unexpected plus - an increase in rodents, especially rats. Now the politicians have some real competition!

This from a flat [picker conversation a couple of years ago: "

In case anybody is interested or doesn't know, the idea of rattlers in a guitar started with the fiddle. It was believed that the devil played the fiddle, so it was known as 'the devil's box' in the Bible belt. Consequently, women would not allow their husbands that played the fiddle to store them inside the home. So most were stored in barns, some even just hung on the wall. If there was a problem with mice the farmers would place a set of rattlesnake rattlers inside the instrument and it would supposedly keep the mice away. Somewhere in time the idea became that they actually influenced the tone, and guitar players began dropping them into the sound hole."

I wonder if they'd discourager Brown Recluse Spiders. I bet I stomp one of them in my guitar room every couple of months.

This is the answer. A farmer cousin of mine used to put snake skins up on the bins that held corn and goat feed for this same reason.

I keep one in my AJ just because I like old stuff like that and people find it interesting when I hand them the guitar.

Keith

Archived