Gibson Brands Forums

Dirty binding on my LP

Der_Kaiser

Hi everyone, I'm Chris ive been lurking for a while but I've decided to post a message or two. I've posted this over in the repairs section of the forum but there seems to be a bit more traffic here so I'll stick it up here too.

I've recently become the proud owner of a les paul traditional, within the last day or two I've discovered an odd dirty mark on the guitars binding. It looks like pencil lead but there's no way it can be, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what it is. The guitar has been kept on a stand the entire time, no part of the finish is in contact with the foam ever so I'm satisfied it's not because of that.

I have tried to clean it with Gibson polish then naptha and finally I used some swirl remover that I've taken scratches off my car with all to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

https://imageshack.com/i/plw1DCPej

https://imageshack.com/i/plUYvxUMj

[edit]

looking at pictures bigger than my phone, I see a black-ish type of colour on the binding around the horn.

looks more like the dye from the black lining of the case stained the binding a bit.

play the heck out of the guitar, after a while nicks, dents and scratches will over take a darkish looking binding.

try using some guitar cleaner to buff it up ,,,

since this is a Gibson Les Paul,, you can use naphtha to wipe down the guitar, this may clean off the dye around the horn.

Hi everyone, I'm Chris ive been lurking for a while but I've decided to post a message or two. I've posted this over in the repairs section of the forum but there seems to be a bit more traffic here so I'll stick it up here too.

I've recently become the proud owner of a les paul traditional, within the last day or two I've discovered an odd dirty mark on the guitars binding. It looks like pencil lead but there's no way it can be, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what it is. The guitar has been kept on a stand the entire time, no part of the finish is in contact with the foam ever so I'm satisfied it's not because of that.

I have tried to clean it with Gibson polish then naptha and finally I used some swirl remover that I've taken scratches off my car with all to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

https://imageshack.com/i/plw1DCPej

https://imageshack.com/i/plUYvxUMj

I see it, grey line on the outer edge of the binding of the horn......what colour is the lining of your case?

Didn't see it at first....

Because I was distracted by something orange in the backroung and an SG.

You mean that mark on the horn? Looks weird.

If it was at another place I could guess the reason, such as contact with clothes, stamped t-shirt for example.

But at the horn?

The only thing I could imagine would be the case like another member already pointed out.

Do you store it in it's original case?

That long line all around the horn? I thought that was a shadow. You might try using a fine grit sandpaper, 800 to 1000. Or try scraping the binding with a sharp razor like they do at the factory. Are you sure that it's not the seam of where it's joined to the body?

Plastic-y types of cheap-o straps used to do that if they laid on the guitar any length of time. Even a small space could become big, the binding don't like stuff like that. Guys that laid the guitar in the case and put the strap up along the strings would get a burn there on the front bottom, in front of the button.

rct

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm not sure about scraping it. The finish is very thin on the edges. My guess is that'll go all the way through the lacquer and if it is it's going nowhere. I would also guess at the case lining being the source.

Thanks for all the replies. The case lining is an off white but it's never been in it since I bought the guitar in August, it's always on a stand so it can't be from the case. I use a couch strap that's made from old car seat upholstery the under side of which is a kind of faux leather but i can't see when it would've come in to contact with the horn, it's a bit of a mystery.

At this stage I just want to get it cleaned up, I've seen them scraping the binding on you tube videos but that just surely remove the clear coat at the same time so I'm not up for that, maybe some fine sandpaper is the ticket unless any of you fine folk have any more suggestions?

Cheers

Chris

Guest Farnsbarns

I probably play mostly seated yeah

It's almost certainly from your clothes (or the case, did we ever find out the colour of the lining?). It will have gone into the nitro and I don't think you'll be able to get rid of it. The first step to a natural relic. Easily said but don't let it bother you.

I've seen both binding and the nitro finish pick up dye/stain from clothing - particularly from damp clothing. Be careful with clothes or rags that haven't been washed. I recall a couple posts - white finish and binding - one turned out to be from a new red shirt and the other new blue jeans.

I've tried something similar to T-Cut but it didn't do anything, it must be right the way through the nitro. I'm thinking about taking it to a professional to get it repaired, it's not a big deal but I've dreamed of getting a Les Paul since I was a spotty 16 year old and it's annoying to finally get one and for it to be showing signs of wear before I've even changed the strings.

Funnily enough she still sounds amazing!

I personally think you're making a "mountain out of a mole hill" on this..

just play the darn thing.. if you wanted a 'museum piece' you would have locked it in a glass display case..

by playing it you're going to nick and scuff the thing whether intentional or unintentional , because that's what happens when you play something especially live at a gig.

Archived