Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

merciful-evans

I have a clue and a picture. And the answer in video form.

The Clue: Its a USA guitar.

The Picture:

close%20up%20frets_zpsth8lpfdd.jpg

When you've finishes guessing...

the answer

pictures later... Tomorrow I hope.

PS Spoiler Alert! the 2nd post after this one gives the game away

ric%20colorado%201_zpsl6vzo7eu.jpg

ric%20colorado%202_zpsdnxcocof.jpg

The 'made in US' sticker on the neck pickup suggested the idea of the Yankee strap. I usually prefer a plain strap, but as this Ric is stripped of all bling, its seems to redress the balance.

The last time I saw an all natural guitar in maple was in the early 70s on a Fender Strat (briefly used by Jerry Garcia I think). I loved the look but had forgotten about it. The black dots on the maple neck is also reminiscent of my old Strat of 40 years ago.

Is this guitar the authentic Ric experience? No! This one has a wide 1.75" (44.45mm) neck and it doesn't have the jangle of those toaster pickups. But it has Rickenbacker build quality and the lovely 'cresting wave' body styling.

Quirks: It has a couple. The neck is like 2 baseball bats glued together and it loses its impressive sustain after the 12th fret. But nothing is more attractive than flawed beauty. I have solutions for both anyway. I'm feeling pretty happy. [lol]

Nice one Rudi - different but just familiar enough to seem right! [thumbup]

I've never thought seriously about a Ric, but I'm imagining that (albeit with thin neck) in black, toaster in the bridge slot, something smoother in the neck (Seth, Gibby HB, ...?)

mmm..

Nice one Rudi - different but just familiar enough to seem right! [thumbup]

I've never thought seriously about a Ric, but I'm imagining that (albeit with thin neck) in black, toaster in the bridge slot, something smoother in the neck (Seth, Gibby HB, ...?)

mmm..

That sounds pretty juicy Scales. A trad Ric (especially in fireglo) like that would be tempting.

But the VIDEO WAS MADE IN HASTE!

The mini HBs are what make this a keeper. I get sizzling highs (never had those before) and more importantly, the hollow woody lows that I love. Gibson pups also do the lows well, as do a couple of others. Crucially, the Rics ones are a little different, and that's what makes it desirable.

If they all sounded the same, we might save ourselves a lot of money right?

But the VIDEO WAS MADE IN HASTE!

The mini HBs are what make this a keeper.

Ah man, I just re read my post - for clarity I meant smoother than a toaster, not smoother than what you were doing - apologies if your read it that way. [smile]

I'm with you on mini's as my old #1 below will attest.

IMG_0524_zpsa443b4e0.jpg

ric%20colorado%201_zpsl6vzo7eu.jpg

The 'made in US' sticker on the neck pickup suggested the idea of the Yankee strap. I usually prefer a plain strap, but as this Ric is stripped of all bling, its seems to redress the balance.

The last time I saw an all natural guitar in maple was in the early 70s on a Fender Strat (briefly used by Jerry Garcia I think). I loved the look but had forgotten about it. The black dots on the maple neck is also reminiscent of my old Strat of 40 years ago.

Is this guitar the authentic Ric experience? No! This one has a wide 1.75" (44.45mm) neck and it doesn't have the jangle of those toaster pickups. But it has Rickenbacker build quality and the lovely 'cresting wave' body styling.

Quirks: It has a couple. The neck is like 2 baseball bats glued together and it loses its impressive sustain after the 12th fret. But nothing is more attractive than flawed beauty. I have solutions for both anyway. I'm feeling pretty happy. [lol]

Very sharp guitar

4H

Ah man, I just re read my post - for clarity I meant smoother than a toaster, not smoother than what you were doing - apologies if your read it that way. [smile]

I'm with you on mini's as my old #1 below will attest.

IMG_0524_zpsa443b4e0.jpg

Right! Ive got a tiny mini on my Hofner Archtop butted right up against the neck join. They're pretty neat.

BTW my video link was on Photobucket. Someone at Songstuff said it took a whole minute to load. So I joined Vimeo.

Can someone tell me if this is quicker please?

My link

Congrats on this pretty catch! [wub] Your description reads as if this one was a Ric for me - rather unusual. No Ric here so far.

There are two all-maple natural Gibson L6S guitars in my arsenal, one each from 1973 and 2011. I love that look, too! [thumbup]

The best-looking Strats to my taste have ash body, maple neck and natural finish. Not available with Floyd Rose, so I had to sacrifice this look.

Congrats on this pretty catch! [wub] Your description reads as if this one was a Ric for me - rather unusual. No Ric here so far.

There are two all-maple natural Gibson L6S guitars in my arsenal, one each from 1973 and 2011. I love that look, too! [thumbup]

The best-looking Strats to my taste have ash body, maple neck and natural finish. Not available with Floyd Rose, so I had to sacrifice this look.

I was not aware of this model a week ago. But both the 660 & 650 have the wider necks.

No whammy bar Cap, but here are some other 650 specs:

No. Frets 24

Scale Length 62.9 cm (24 3/4'')

Neck Width Nut 44.45 mm (1 3/4'')

Neck Width 12th Fret 53.52mm (2 .107)

Crown Radius 25.4 cm (10'')

Weight 3.75 kg (8.25 lbs.)

Bridge 6 Saddle (roller type, individual string height and intonation adjusting)

Neck Type Thru body

Type of Pickups mini Humbuckers

Output Type Mono

Machine Heads Schaller

PS I would love to see your L6S models

Thank you for posting the Ric specs! [thumbup]

PS I would love to see your L6S models

Note: TP-6 finetuning tailpieces, blank truss-rod covers and the Schaller Strap Locks on the 2011 are personal mods.

Perhaps I should add that the 1973 L6-S and her case smell intensely of incense. This guitar spent decades in the sacristy of a Catholic church in England. [biggrin]

Gibson L6-S 1973, later called L6-S Custom:

L6-S_front_zpsf5f6c0f6.jpg

Gibson L6S 2011 Limited Run:

IMG_1629_zpsaun1uzxz.jpg

Pictured together:

IMG_1631_zpsjgcbmr6g.jpg

Thank you for posting the Ric specs! [thumbup]

Note: TP-6 finetuning tailpieces, blank truss-rod covers and the Schaller Strap Locks on the 2011 are personal mods.

Perhaps I should add that the 1973 L6-S and her case smell intensely of incense. This guitar spent decades in the sacristy of a Catholic church in England. [biggrin]

Pictured together:

IMG_1631_zpsjgcbmr6g.jpg

Hey! They look even better than I thought they would. There is something about this simple look that suits pretty much everything.

The headstock on the '73 is much more sensible, and IMO, at least as good looking too. The black trim suits them well, thought the light dots on the 73 dont detract. All this AND 24 frets.

Thanks for posting Cap.

BTW

If anyone is interested Ive been in touch with a fellow in Banbury UK who is trying to sell his 2008 650S. I had already bought mine. 650S Sierra

Archived