Gibson Brands Forums

1964 Gibson LG1 pickguard

Brian1964

I just bought a Gibson 1964 lg1 but the pickguard is missing. This is my first Gibson vintage guitar and I was wondering if you guys know of what I should/could do to find a replacement replica pickguard for it? It's pretty scuffed up where the last pickguard was... All thoughts / help much appreciated!!! Thanks

Lots of us removed the guards in an effort to increase volume and improve tone. It worked, but took its toll in wearing down the unguarded area. No big deal at the time: we were young and so were the guitars! Now we are older, the guitars are vintage, and new considerations apply. You might be able to find an original pickguard. There are some floating around in repair shops and in the hands of older pickers who keep stuff. The cost will likely depend on the owner's disposition - if I had one, you could have it for nothing; some guys will see dollar signs and act accordingly. A replacement guard can be made easily by any competent repairman. That option would allow you to go as thick as the original or to go thinner according to your taste and intentions. A prefab guard of proper dimension might be found on Amazon or elsewhere on the internet. I applaud your desire to take good care of your new friend! Best wishes in your search - let us know what happens.

Thank you! Yeah I have read about how it can affect the sound... The old ones were really thick so maybe I would try to find a new replica and not have it as thick. I have looked far and wide so far.... Does anyone have any luthiers or guitar repairmen they know that may have one laying around or I could call? Thanks!

About 15 years ago, I ordered a new guard for my '64 LG-1 from Jim Grainger at http://www.customfret.com/services.php.

I gave them a call and then mailed a paper tracing of the shadow on the top from where the old guard was. Maybe they could do it these days from a picture and some measurements.

Curious: does yours still have the plastic bridge?

Thank you! Yeah I have read about how it can affect the sound... The old ones were really thick so maybe I would try to find a new replica and not have it as thick. I have looked far and wide so far.... Does anyone have any luthiers or guitar repairmen they know that may have one laying around or I could call? Thanks!

Look on the Gibson website. Somewhere on it is a list of Gibson authorized service persons. Locate one near you and give him a call. Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

About 15 years ago, I ordered a new guard for my '64 LG-1 from Jim Grainger at http://www.customfret.com/services.php.

I gave them a call and then mailed a paper tracing of the shadow on the top from where the old guard was. Maybe they could do it these days from a picture and some measurements.

Hi AnneS,

Yes it still has the plastic bridge... but with a crack in it and it is pulling off a tiny bit. I plan on having a rosewood

bridge put in soon!

Do you currently have the pickguard still on your lg1? Were you satisfied with the color/material used??

THanks!

Also, I would be curious to see some pictures of your lg1! :) Does yours have the plastic bridge, too?

Here's a link to a company that makes your pickguard. There is a PDF file in the website labeled "J-45 J-50" which has the exact template for the late 1950's through 1960's-style Gibson standard pickguard. This was used on round-shouldered J's, plus the LG/B series guitars in this period. This link should take you straight to the PDF file, but you should go on Terrapin's main website to see your pickguard material options and pricing.

terrapin

Edit: here's a link to their acoustic pickguard page:

terrapin acoustic

further edit:

Their celluloid brown tortoise material is probably the best match for your guitar, but that's your call to make. Get the adhesive backing option unless you're a glutton for punishment.

This pickguard material is .090", which is probably thinner than the original material used in the late 1960's.

I have never ordered from this company, but I have used their PDF templates to have custom pickguards made by other people with different materials than Terrapin has.

The original pickguard on a '64 was made of a polystyrene and three times thicker than the earlier celluloid pickguards. So a modern replacement would be nothing if not an improvement. I have had a pickguard made by Terrapin (for a 1950s pre-Gibson Epiphone) and they got it spot on. If you are going to pull the bridge I would also have the bridge plate checked to see if it is made of spruce. If it is, I would go and swap it out for a maple bridge plate.

I don't disagree with any of the help offered here but LMI has some very nice looking celluloid lately. IMO a step above the vinyl offered by others. It usually takes one of the large sheets to cut a batwing 'guard and their stock moves out quicker than it moves in but hard to beat for authenticity. If they don't have stock in full sheets look at the j45 or D28 pre cuts to get an idea of color and swirl.

G'luck and welcome. Hope this comes together for you.

I don't disagree with any of the help offered here but LMI has some very nice looking celluloid lately. IMO a step above the vinyl offered by others. It usually takes one of the large sheets to cut a batwing 'guard and their stock moves out quicker than it moves in but hard to beat for authenticity. If they don't have stock in full sheets look at the j45 or D28 pre cuts to get an idea of color and swirl.

G'luck and welcome. Hope this comes together for you.

What does LMI stand for? Sorry haha. Thanks!

The original pickguard on a '64 was made of a polystyrene and three times thicker than the earlier celluloid pickguards. So a modern replacement would be nothing if not an improvement. I have had a pickguard made by Terrapin (for a 1950s pre-Gibson Epiphone) and they got it spot on. If you are going to pull the bridge I would also have the bridge plate checked to see if it is made of spruce. If it is, I would go and swap it out for a maple bridge plate.

Thanks! How would maple improve it? Is spruce not good for bridge plate? It's a spruce top, right ?

IF your bridge plate is like mine - it'll look like it was a chew-toy for a pit bull, because of the ball ends of the strings digging in to it. Definitely not a great transmitter of sound. I think my bridge plate was some kind of scrap material. Gave guitar to my son, wish I had changed it and the plastic bridge out first. If you're not a big plectrum strumming player - you may not need a pick guard - but at least I would stay away from the big thick versions, even though they may be 'correct'. I"m assuming you want to play it, not 'restore it for possible investment purposes' !

This thread is getting to be lots more fun than I had expected on first response! Given the staggering quantity of LG-1s produced and purchased, it seems to me that their vintage niche has become unique. Think of how many went to kids, folkies without much cash to spend, people who just wanted a Gibson and couldn't justify buying a J-45, more experienced pickers in need of a second guitar, not to mention the types who discovered that learning to play involved effort and sore fingers and stuffed the instrument in the closet where it lived for an indeterminate interval. The result: whole loads of LG-1 guitars that continue to surface in every imaginable condition. To me, that is awe inspiring, shows evidence that the Gibson people were really onto something and had the sense to keep it going, admits of widespread enjoyment potential continuing today, and opens a realm of possibilities that would be difficult to indulge with other guitar models made by Gibson. How cool is that? Pristine examples can be collected, well-played examples can be played, playable examples in average condition work well for kids and adults alike, examples with doubtful features can be modified, major changes can be made to examples in the hands of people who desire to transform them into really "killer" guitars. That pretty well covers everybody and can happen without guilt or having to break the bank! Personally, I love my '61 LG-1. Refretted/rebraced/sporting a replacement bridge plate and rectangular rosewood bridge/neck reset/professionally refinished it's my beater,travel,couch,fingerpicking,flatpicking worry and guilt free friend. Someday maybe it'll pass to my grandson who may, for all I know, use it for a canoe paddle. Anyhow, I'll be too dead to care. lol

I love LG 1 threads, as I have a 64. Before I bought it, the neck was reset, new rosewood bridge, maple bridge plate, bone saddle and nut installed and I love it. I'm 60 and had one in high school, which I gave to my daughter about 10 years ago. I missed it so much, I found another one. It's in beautiful condition, plays and sounds great. Not my only acoustic, but play it more than the others. Original large PG. I agree, find a replacement with the original shape. Enjoy your LG 1.

Many of us do not think of a 1964 Gibson as "old". The pickguards Gibson started using around 1963 were almost three times thicker than those that came before.

I tend to agree with you about the "old" factor regarding 1964 Gibsons. Curiosity overwhelms me and I have to ask: at what approximate (or definite) time do you feel comfortable applying the "old" designation?

I tend to agree with you about the "old" factor regarding 1964 Gibsons. Curiosity overwhelms me and I have to ask: at what approximate (or definite) time do you feel comfortable applying the "old" designation?

1983 to 1985.... just kidding :) Haha I used the word "Old" to describe the "Original" pickguard on the 1964 Lg1 in reference to a possible "new" one I might

put on it. So a "new" custom one I was considering new and the original would be the "old" one... I didn't really mean that the guitar was "Old" by vintage standards. I'm not sure what

I would consider an old guitar to be.... Probably Pre- WW2 or possibly turn of the century.

Archived