Gibson Brands Forums

NGD No Gibson Content

fromnabulax

I seriously love the Martin 15 all mahogany series. I own the D15, the D15 slot head, as well as the 000-15 slot head. They play and sound incredibly beautifully and are perhaps the best deal Martin has going.

I have a couple of other Martins, a 1974 D35 and a more recent 000-18, and a DCPAR as well but for whatever reason, I just keep coming back to these 15s.

Early last autumn with my 60th birthday upcoming I decided to buy myself my first ever Martin Custom Shop guitar. My ideal was a a D15, but with a cutaway so I could use it for leads while gigging. I love the piezo sound for most uses, but the only way to get a true acoustic sound us by setting one up in front of a good microphone and letting her rip.

I contacted a Custom Shop retailer, negotiated the build and a price, laid down a deposit and waited. Today after almost 5 months, the beauty arrived. This thing is the best set up out of the box guitar I have ever bought. The neck relief is absolutely perfect, as is the action. I'm used to either sanding down or shimming saddles for perfection, this guitar requires not a millimeter of adjusting. It us simply perfect.

The tone is pure all warm mahogany through and through. The intonation is spot on throughout, and regardless of where I capo, the guitar stays in perfect pitch.

Of course about two weeks ago what should appear in the Martin catalog for 2016? Yup, a cutaway D15. That one has electronics though, and this one is all acoustic.

And oh man, it's get that aphrodisiac new Martin smell too!

As a special aside to RCT, yes it came with a case, and notice please that you talked me into replacing all my Planet Waves quick release strap dealies with the leather Martin equivalent.

pml3fFM.jpg

nIHwWEw.jpg

dOGmBxQ.jpg

WGwZLrZ.jpg

PrU9BCS.jpg

Qhz9OG3.jpg

I have a 000-16 that I adore. I'm headed for a mmmmmmmmM-36 or an OMG-28 this May. They do magic with guitars, they really do. I had a beer or three with Chris IV one time in the 90's. Well, a few of us did after an all day tour and poking around at guitars and such. What a great day.

Enjoy that thing. Good move with the strap thingy!

Edit: I too like a mic in front. I did the Ovation thing for years and decided when I started actually buying Martins that no cigarette pack sized hole would go into mine. It was comforting to know that most of the folks hacking them up for the eletrics and such don't like doing it.

rct

Archived