Gibson Brands Forums

I'm seeing Gillian Welch tonight- concert report added

flatbaroque

My brother got me a ticket for Xmas. Enmore Theatre in Sydney.

I've heard she has an internet connection so she is probably well aware of my cover versions of a couple of her tunes.

I wouldn't be surprised to get called backstage for a chinwag.I'm happy to give advice on how she and her sidekick can upgrade their image.

First they need to ditch those old guitars and get some shiny new Taylors.Then with the addition of some nice rhinestone outfits they will be well on the way. [smile]

My brother got me a ticket for Xmas. Enmore Theatre in Sydney.

I've heard she has an internet connection so she is probably well aware of my cover versions of a couple of her tunes.

I wouldn't be surprised to get called backstage for a chinwag.I'm happy to give advice on how she and her sidekick can upgrade their image.

First they need to ditch those old guitars and get some shiny new Taylors.Then with the addition of some nice rhinestone outfits they will be well on the way. [smile]

Maybe you should keep all that to yourself until after the show, in case they bounce you!

Have a great night, FB!

BluesKing777.

Make sure you show Rawlings how to get more of a bluesy-folksy sound out of his guitar. Don't offend him. Just show him how it should be done.........And, I'm jealous...lol........Love the music of Gillian and David. No "smoke and mirrors" or "boy band" music. Just the real stuff. Maybe they'll play this one too.

Lucky bugger. I remember seeing the posters for the gig when in Oz over Xmas and was thinking, damn, if only they played 3 weeks earlier !

Are you seeing the Gillian show or the Dave show - coz I understand they are doing both version while in Oz.

Lucky lucky bas

Anyone who hasnt watched 'another time another place' the concert that was made after the llewyn davis film is missing out.

Absolutley superb show. And dave is one of the highlights.

Fantastic array of old guitars to drool over too.

The dave rawlings machine lp is one of the best of last year

Talk to Dave about getting a decent guitar, would you? She's got to carry most of the load with her Gibson.

He actually seems to play a variety of guitars these days, but that old Epi Olympic is perfect for much of what they do. You won't find an older, more haunting and authentic sound anywhere, especially when paired with Gillian's J-50.

As far as I'm concerned, Gillian and David are national treasures, direct lineal descendants of Woody and a thousand nameless ghosts before that.

Just back folks. Fabulous show.

We had back row seats but it's not a huge venue 1600 people, 2 levels.I took a set of binoculars so I could see very well. I could tell what fret the capos were on.

It was just her and Dave. 2 approx one hour sets with a short interval. No support act.

Simple stage set - a 12ft x 4ft Persian carpet square and a small antique table with turned legs.On it a vase of red roses, a jug of water, glasses, harps and picks. One guitar stand, two mic stands.

They used just the old favorites, his epiphone, her J-50 with masking tape on the lower bout bass side.I think it was a make do repair or something rather than a set list or anything, because she made a reference to it in that vein.

First song i didn't know but they were both capoed on 10! So it had a mandolin feel. I should say the capos figured greatly.Only one song played without a capo.

I think he may be tuned down so that would account for a 2nd fret capo often. But they did mix up the capos...if she was on two, he may be on six and visa versa.So a lot of dynamics.

And for you capo afficionados they were only using those Kyser quick release jobs.Dave would sometimes change capo positions mid song.No concerns with intonation niceties there.

Standouts for me were Elvis Presley Blues, Time the Revelator, The way that it goes, Red Dust..., sorry can't remember all the names.

She played banjo a couple of times, harp once.Said it was a Bb harp on its last legs and she couldn't find a replacement in Sydney. I concur as I tried to buy a Bb a few months ago and all I could get was a $9 Johnson..(me and Gillian have so much in common).He played banjo and harp too.

They had dry witty banter...especially Dave who liked to give a death count before several songs "only 2 dead in this one".

The musicianship was at the highest level.His solos are in a world of their own where western swing collides with all sorts of things.His solo of Time the Revelator started to remind me of Al Di Mieola's Mediterranean Sundance.

Crowd loved them. 2 encores which included Miss Ohio and Neil Young's Pocahontas.

And the final song.Dave said crank up the reverb. Then he started on this Flamenco riff which morphed into a blistering White Rabbit.A charged up end to a great night.

Sal I'll have to check out the set list.

I had the good fortune to see G&D a couple of years ago here. Also a smallish venue, but somehow I lucked into 3rd row center seats. I think it was the overall best live performance Ive ever been to. Maybe it was the type of music, purity of the performance, or something more complex... but it was unforgettable. They also closed with 'White Rabbit'. Blew me away. I never thought I'd like that song more than the video recorded at Woodstock of Gracie Slick. So - I guess my musical tastes have changed. For the better! Glad they are still spreading their magic - and you got to see it FB !

Sounds just awesome. The Enmore hey, good venue, just right size I reckon. Last time I was there would have been in '97 to see hmm, Massive Attack. I think these days Id rather see Gillian & Dave.

They better come to Europe sooner for a summer festival or Ill look up her skirt !

Just back folks. Fabulous show.

We had back row seats but it's not a huge venue 1600 people, 2 levels.I took a set of binoculars so I could see very well. I could tell what fret the capos were on.

It was just her and Dave. 2 approx one hour sets with a short interval. No support act.

Simple stage set - a 12ft x 4ft Persian carpet square and a small antique table with turned legs.On it a vase of red roses, a jug of water, glasses, harps and picks. One guitar stand, two mic stands.

They used just the old favorites, his epiphone, her J-50 with masking tape on the lower bout bass side.I think it was a make do repair or something rather than a set list or anything, because she made a reference to it in that vein.

First song i didn't know but they were both capoed on 10! So it had a mandolin feel. I should say the capos figured greatly.Only one song played without a capo.

I think he may be tuned down so that would account for a 2nd fret capo often. But they did mix up the capos...if she was on two, he may be on six and visa versa.So a lot of dynamics.

And for you capo afficionados they were only using those Kyser quick release jobs.Dave would sometimes change capo positions mid song.No concerns with intonation niceties there.

Standouts for me were Elvis Presley Blues, Time the Revelator, The way that it goes, Red Dust..., sorry can't remember all the names.

She played banjo a couple of times, harp once.Said it was a Bb harp on its last legs and she couldn't find a replacement in Sydney. I concur as I tried to buy a Bb a few months ago and all I could get was a $9 Johnson..(me and Gillian have so much in common).He played banjo and harp too.

They had dry witty banter...especially Dave who liked to give a death count before several songs "only 2 dead in this one".

The musicianship was at the highest level.His solos are in a world of their own where western swing collides with all sorts of things.His solo of Time the Revelator started to remind me of Al Di Mieola's Mediterranean Sundance.

Crowd loved them. 2 encores which included Miss Ohio and Neil Young's Pocahontas.

And the final song.Dave said crank up the reverb. Then he started on this Flamenco riff which morphed into a blistering White Rabbit.A charged up end to a great night.

Sal I'll have to check out the set list.

Archived