Gibson Brands Forums

Parts bin G-400

StRanger7032

Not sure what the appropriate Epiphone equivalent to "partscaster" is. That's what you call a Fender that's been cobbled together from spare parts. I bought this well used 2008 G-400 body on eBay for a whopping $86. I had almost all the parts on hand already to complete it, with the exception of a pickguard, bridge/tailpiece, and tuners. I bought all that stuff straight from China to keep the price down. I'm in it less than $150. My plan was to resell it on eBay, but after setting it up and playing it for a bit, I may have to keep it. It plays great, and should sound great after I get some hardware to mount the correct Epi bridge pickup. Right now, as many of you have probably noticed, I have an upside down Seymour Duncan neck pickup in the bridge position for testing purposes.

20160208_220849_zpsvdiuvqvd.jpg

Thanks! The picture is overly flattering. Its pretty dinged up actually. Its had a fret job already but has some deep gouges in a few frets. I'm not about to pay for a re-fret, so I'll fix them with the budget method using silver solder. I also noticed that the volume pots are linear taper, which is slightly annoying. I may have to change those if I keep it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dammit! I sold it on eBay for about what I had into it ($141.50). The damned thing had 47 watchers, more than anything else I've ever sold on eBay. With 47 watchers, it somehow managed only 2 bids. At least I got rid of a bunch of spare parts, and hopefully built a guitar that will inspire someone to start (or continue) playing.

Archived