Gibson Brands Forums

CS-336 move strap button to upper bout?

GuitArtMan

I have one also and wouldn't dare put a hole where it doesn't belong. What if it's not in the right place for good balance? That said, the body starts as a solid piece of mahogany that gets hollowed out; a completely different animal than a 335. So there should be enough wood to drill a hole if you have to. I use a Planet Waves locking strap with pivot ends. I flip the pivot backwards for the peg behind the body and it works great for me for playing while standing; very comfortable and lightweight. I also have a 335 and the larger body makes it uncomfortable for me to play while standing for more than a couple of songs.

I have one also and wouldn't dare put a hole where it doesn't belong. What if it's not in the right place for good balance? That said, the body starts as a solid piece of mahogany that gets hollowed out; a completely different animal than a 335. So there should be enough wood to drill a hole if you have to. I use a Planet Waves locking strap with pivot ends. I flip the pivot backwards for the peg behind the body and it works great for me for playing while standing; very comfortable and lightweight. I also have a 335 and the larger body makes it uncomfortable for me to play while standing for more than a couple of songs.

I'm not worried about putting a hole where it doesn't belong. If it makes the guitar hang better on my body then that's where the hole belongs! As for balance, I really don't like having the strap button on the neck heal - it's already out of balance to me. It make the neck stick to far out imho and the body fall forward. Yes my 336 is very light weight, weighing in at a svelte 6.5 pounds, it's probably my lightest guitar. It doesn't get played much however because I don't like the way it hangs on the strap. I believe moving the strap button the upper bout would be a vast improvement for me in making the guitar hang on the strap better. Ever notice where Collings put the strap button on their I35s? Think there might be a reason they placed them there? I'm hoping someone from Gibson would jump in here. Do they ever do that or are they silent?

I would have to think that the wood is probbly not thick enough to support the strap without some sort of re-enforcement there, eventually the stress on the wood is going to fail, and it's going to pop out, probably at the most inopportune time....

You could craft a small block of wood to fit the contour of the body where the horn is, and figure out way to get it in side, pull it into position and glue it in place. I think this is the only safe way to go about it.

alternately, you could try to contact customer service and see what they think this seems a common complaint with guitars with the strap buttons on the back of the heel..

I have a few guitars like this, and for some reason, for me, it's never a problem.

yep.. I used more words, to say pretty much the same thing...

No offense intended, your description of facts and possible approaches is spot-on. I just decided to choose the OP's own words to confirm what an improper solution may invite.

No offense intended, your description of facts and possible approaches is spot-on. I just decided to choose the OP's own words to confirm what an improper solution may invite.

ah Cap! no offense what so ever. I appreciate the efficiency is all!

There was a uTube clip out some time ago.. some poor sod did the same to his semi hollow.. The video clip showed the moment of failure... BAM! to the floor she goes..

next thing we see is the guitar on the floor with the neck in two pieces

"don't let this be you!"

just the same, I'd be very careful. Considering the unknown chance of failure and the inevitable results of that, I'd stay a mile or two away from it. you could contact customer service, but they may tell you nothing helpful.

it's your guitar, and you don't need our permission,....

IMHO, it's risky....

• 1 month later...

I have a CS-356, and I wouldn't do this to it. And I'd be very careful drawing conclusions from what I'm about to relate... but....

Back when Gibson launched the CS-336, they had a dedicated "Feature" website for the guitar within the larger Gibson site. It had about 15 pages, as I recall, telling of the guitar's design and genesis back with Orville Gibson's desire to build a resonant instrument from carved solid woods. They had a few construction images on the site that showed the routing for the back, and another page that had an artful sort of "Artist's Rendition" of what the guitar might look like in cutaway. This was an illustration, not a photograph and *may* not represent what's actually inside at all (for all I know). And unfortunately for us, Gibson had this image broken into three horizontal panels so it would load easier back in the early website days of dial-up connections, etc.

A couple of years after the launch, that site abruptly disappeared from Gibson's website. I went looking for it a year after that using the Internet Wayback Machine - a kind of archive of lost websites. Unfortunately, it only contained the top and bottom panels of the main image, and a very small version of the back routing image. I saved those. :rolleyes:

post-448-091807100 1459196528_thumb.gif

post-448-004458400 1459196545_thumb.gif

post-448-095496000 1459196565_thumb.gif

Good luck!

Archived