Gibson Brands Forums

my 2015 studio

Roach

how can i delete my post?

Impossible, but why? You may edit it as desired though. You may remove or add pics respectively IMG links, too. As topic starter you can also edit title and description via the Use Full Editor button showing bottom center in the edit mode. This function also allows for an edit preview of any post edits you're working on, not just opening posts.

Love the color. Why do you want to delete the post?

I originally had different text in my post and i wanted to post my pic in the thread "post your 2016 LP pics here", a different thread, was having problems with that probably because im a noob. AT first i could not post any pic at all, maybe a permission thing...currently im at 499 of 500 k limit? ...but this was in the wrong thread...

and thx, yes i like the color even though it is not rare, being a new color from gibson gives me the feeling it is rare anyway. It is way better than the light blue i saw on a traditional, i just had my tech change the cream colored p/u rings and switch washer/knob to black and made look way better than the antique cream it had. It would be awesome to have blue parts on it but im not going to paint parts to achieve that. im happy with it, though i wsh they included a black pick guard this year.

And yes i didnt want a thumbnail pic i wanted to put the pic pic up...Not sure if i have worked that out or not im at my limit

Guest Farnsbarns

I originally had different text in my post and i wanted to post my pic in the thread "post your 2016 LP pics here", was having problems with that probably because im a noob. AT first i could not post any pic at all, maybe a permission thing...currently im at 499 of 500 k limit? ...but this was in the wrong thread...

and thx, yes i like the color even though it is not rare, being a new color from gibson gives me the feeling it is rare anyway. It is way better than the light blue i saw on a traditional, i just had my tech change the cream colored p/u rings and switch washer/knob to black and made look way better than the antique cream it had. It would be awesome to have blue parts on it but im not going to paint parts to achieve that. im happy with it, though i wsh they included a black pick guard this year.

And yes i didnt want a thumbnail pic i wanted to put the pic pic up...Not sure if i have worked that out or not im at my limit

You can only post a pic pic if you use a third party file host.

You had a tech change the plastic parts?

You can only post a pic pic if you use a third party file host.

You had a tech change the plastic parts?

I was having my tech do a full set up so yes, before he made any adjustments to the pick ups i asked him to throw the black pickup rings on, why?

As if i know how high to set them?

Thats how i got my sig on here and avatar

Guest Farnsbarns

There isn't a "right" height you know. Its just where it sounds best. As a general rule, further away means brighter and more harmonic content but less output and closer means warmer but with less definition and string separation and more output.

I'm forever tweaking mine using my thumb nail to account for the slow degradation of strings (quite quick degradation in my case).

To me it seems akin to asking a tech to set your volume and tone knobs.

Not having ago, you do what you like, obviously.

There isn't a "right" height you know. Its just where it sounds best. As a general rule, further away means brighter and more harmonic content but less output and closer means warmer but with less definition and string separation and more output.

I'm forever tweaking mine using my thumb nail to account for the slow degradation of strings (quite quick degradation in my case).

To me it seems akin to asking a tech to set your volume and tone knobs.

Not having ago, you do what you like, obviously.

He was already making pick up adjustments anyway, seems the best time, and i would have him change my strings while doing the setup as well, yet i can change strings myself. Pickup height and each pole should be done by a tech imo. But, to each their own, eh. YOU probably are not a beginner, either, please play nice with us noobs... msp_mellow.gif

This guy does the best setups in my area...nobody better, i didnt pay extra for him to put them on, why is this even a problem for you? i am not going to try to be a part of this forum community, if it means im going to get patronized... for having my set up dude put on a different color pickup ring while he was already removing them to show me why the pickups were not seating well... or if i have to explain myself like this

I usually ask my tech to change my strings so don't worry about that mate. (I use Elixir Polywebs so they last a long time - give them a try) - partly cos its a good excuse for a catch up and chat and partly cos they are then perfectly wound [thumbup]

Once you get to know a tech he should have no qualms about doing this for free - its a friendly gesture and it's going to help ensure he gets your business for many years.

Guest Farnsbarns

He was already making pick up adjustments anyway, seems the best time, and i would have him change my strings while doing the setup as well, yet i can change strings myself. Pickup height and each pole should be done by a tech imo. But, to each their own, eh. YOU probably are not a beginner, either, please play nice with us noobs... msp_mellow.gif

This guy does the best setups in my area...nobody better, i didnt pay extra for him to put them on, why is this even a problem for you? i am not going to try to be a part of this forum community, if it means im going to get patronized... for having my set up dude put on a different color pickup ring while he was already removing them to show me why the pickups were not seating well... or if i have to explain myself like this

Dude I was just sharing information. If you took offence that's up to you. I will refrain from offering you any more information.

Guest Farnsbarns

I think we should try to work this out in PM's. It really doesn't need to be public.

See response to your self righteous pm. I offered you information, nothing more. Not interested in your pontificating. Move on.

Ah, don't be put off Roach, one of the things that makes the forums interesting is the different people you encounter. Stay a while and you'll see patterns emerge and learn about people and personalities - once you know what to expect it's surprising the common ground you find.

Humour is a good approach I find.

Say here. I assume you read 'To me it seems akin to asking a tech to set your volume and tone knobs' as something like 'Sh!t, you must be pretty useless compared to me...' , maybe reply with something like 'Thanks, but I seem to have 2 tone knobs, which one are you referring to?' and maybe a [biggrin]

Not trying to school you mate - just that a lot of people get turned off and leave early because they think people are picking on them or being unpleasant, when it's usually just that people have different ways of communicating and relating to other. Stick around a while. [thumbup]

in some ways i would like to have a pro setup done just once ,mainly to see what is done differently than when i do my own setup.i think im pretty good at it,polishing frets,adjusting relief to very close to dead straight,etc. and i achieve a low string action.im just wondering what i leave undone that a pro would do...

Guest Farnsbarns

Ah, don't be put off Roach, one of the things that makes the forums interesting is the different people you encounter. Stay a while and you'll see patterns emerge and learn about people and personalities - once you know what to expect it's surprising the common ground you find.

Humour is a good approach I find.

Say here. I assume you read 'To me it seems akin to asking a tech to set your volume and tone knobs' as something like 'Sh!t, you must be pretty useless compared to me...' , maybe reply with something like 'Thanks, but I seem to have 2 tone knobs, which one are you referring to?' and maybe a [biggrin]

Not trying to school you mate - just that a lot of people get turned off and leave early because they think people are picking on them or being unpleasant, when it's usually just that people have different ways of communicating and relating to other. Stick around a while. [thumbup]

What I was trying to say was that Roach's tech knows less than Roach about what height Roach's pick ups should be because where they should be is defined by Roach's ears, just like the knobs. No tech can hear for you so no tech can decide what height to set pups.

I even ended my post with "Not having a go, you do what you like, obviously."

Roach still got his pants in knots. Roach is silly, don't be like Roach.

I honestly wouldn't know, but just think it's a shame that people leave cos of 'lost in translation' and different styles. Let's face it, there have as been the occasional possible troll, but very few really in recent years, most people who get upset and go aren't in that category. I find the forum a great vehicle for challenging my intolerances and trying to see things differently actually - and of course a great place to learn.

I honestly wouldn't know, but just think it's a shame that people leave cos of 'lost in translation' and different styles. Let's face it, there have as been the occasional possible troll, but very few really in recent years, most people who get upset and go aren't in that category. I find the forum a great vehicle for challenging my intolerances and trying to see things differently actually - and of course a great place to learn.

How was this lost in translation?

i took it to private message because there is no reason for immature behavior like this in this or any other forum i participate in.

He wanted it public, so here it is:

ME:

NAW please dont get that attitude, i really appreciate any information that is useful, I just dont want to be made fun of, patronized or disrespected, like anyone else would like it to be. I know its not a perfect world, but if you cannot give useful information without being a jerk, then maybe you should refrain. If you cannot say anything nice, dont say anything at all, is what i was always told.

I dont want no problems with you or anyone else man. im just a noob looking for a cool community to hang with and share (give and take) some good information

But lets get past this without any hard feeling or attitudes towards eachother can we?

HIM:

"Piss off. I took no attitude with you and if you want to make something of it do it in the open not by PM."

------------------------

The humor i see here is from the movie "The Negotiator" and Samuel L Jackson yells as only he does, "I AM CALM DAMMIT!"

Now you see he wanted it public now everyone knows what an idiot he is. I never said he had an attitude with me, i did say hey dont be a jerk and lets not have attitudes toward eachother, he says piss off which i translate as **** off which would be fine but he had to come back here and talk more **** so all i want to know is why is it so ******* imorprtant to him that my tech put on the rings around my pickups, maybe i know the dude well and know how good his setups are. Also dude you are so wrong, a tech absolutely has the tools and factory settings handy for precise positioning, you have no clue about the conversation we had and i really cannot see why this was so important to you that you still be talking ****.

**** this place

What I was trying to say was that Roach's tech knows less than Roach about what height Roach's pick ups should be because where they should be is defined by Roach's ears, just like the knobs. No tech can hear for you so no tech can decide what height to set pups.

I even ended my post with "Not having a go, you do what you like, obviously."

Roach still got his pants in knots. Roach is silly, don't be like Roach.

really? not having a go? then stfu

Guest Farnsbarns

The thing is, if someone uses text to communicate information in a perfectly matter of fact manor and someone takes offence, all the decisions and the offence lie with the offended. I think you'rw the product of a society that has forgotten that, that is worried about offending anyone, that celebrates mediocrity and in which everyone wins. The closest I've come to anything insulting or offensive is to call you silly. To me you're looking sillier and sillier and, well, I don't care if you're offended.

in some ways i would like to have a pro setup done just once ,mainly to see what is done differently than when i do my own setup.i think im pretty good at it,polishing frets,adjusting relief to very close to dead straight,etc. and i achieve a low string action.im just wondering what i leave undone that a pro would do...

he would put plastic parts on free while he is doing your set up lol

i doubt a noob like me would want to adjust or modify the nut or even have a clue what to look for to be sure its at optimum maybe you know this stuff being that you been doing this for some time now. INSPECTS everything and has very specific tools, and a very informative run down that covers exactly what you just asked. also having a luthier as your tech covers even more, like distributor pricing on parts...as good stock ready to go, in a proper work area

Archived