Gibson Brands Forums

LPs from 2015

rockerchick

I have been looking at the Studio Deluxe III and EX series Studio Deluxe III for my first LP. They seem to have pretty good reviews and they fit within my budget ($1000-1600). Also, they have SlimTaper necks, which should be good for my smaller hands.

Is there anything I should be worried about with either of these guitars. There hasn't been much talk about these two on here (that I can find), except for one post about the wiring in the non-EX series guitar.

None of the stores around me have the guitar in stock. So, if I got either guitar, I'd be buying blind. I plan on testing similar ones to get a feel for the sound and the feel of the neck.

However, any advice on these two guitars (or better options) would be great!

I'm not sure what the difference is with the EX model. Is it a boost? I think it has a coil split, though the other one may have this also?

They both have 57 classic pups. These are great.

For 2015 models. The biggest physical difference is the wider necks. You will get .050" extra room each side of the E strings. Whether you like this or hate it will depend mostly on what you are used to. The diehard Gibson faithful hated them. I love them and its the main reason why I bought a 2015 at all. The 2015 width at the nut is 1.795" (45.6mm). I find it much easier for soloing.

G-Force tuners: Original stock 2015s will have G-Force robots. However, many have been changed out to traditional tuners (a Gibson initiative), once again because of the *****ing from the faithful. Check with the retailer.

I was very wary of these. I had tried many out in shops & my 1st impression was not a good one. But I reasoned that it was stupid not to give the G-Force a proper try. For me, the G-Force has been terrific. Works perfectly and is easy to use. I should add though, that I just keep it in regular concert tuning. I do not keep changing to other tunings.

Zero fret/adjustable nut combi: The metal nut, which allows height adjustment is a great idea. It was only let down by a lamentable poor choice of material, BRASS. Gibson have sent out replacement nuts on request made of titanium (some earlier ones were nickle apparently). The new nuts do not suffer from string wear. Note: An Australian forum member has been left in the lurch over this. He cant get a replacement nut in Oz.

Any remaining differences are mostly cosmetic.

Both these guitars obviously come with a neck of traditional width and a Tektoid nut. The more expensive "non-EX" model has the G-Force tuning system, the EX model comes with sealed non-locking Grovers. Electronics seem to be of same make including the adjustable boost circuit.

My choice would be the EX series Studio Deluxe III. I'm not sure how robo tuning may work with the Tektoid nut, I prefer manual tuning, and finally, I'd retrofit a TP-6 finetuning tailpiece anyway. Finally, the EX Studio Deluxe III seems to be more bang for the buck! [biggrin]

I'm not sure what the difference is with the EX model. Is it a boost? I think it has a coil split, though the other one may have this also?

They both have 57 classic pups. These are great.

From what I can tell, the biggest difference is that the EX Series doesn't have the G-Force tuner. No matter which one I went with, I was going to modify to have manual tuning. They both have coil split capabilities, based on what I have read.

From what I can tell, the biggest difference is that the EX Series doesn't have the G-Force tuner. No matter which one I went with, I was going to modify to have manual tuning. They both have coil split capabilities, based on what I have read.

Considering the prices the EX is the by far better buy for you. If you changed to manual tuners anyway, why spend more money on the "non-EX" for something you sort out?

Archived