Gibson Brands Forums

Fender wiring question

NHTom

Ok, I bought a Fender American Select HH used and it came to me with Duncan pickups installed.

I got my hands on the original set of "Fender Full Range" humbuckers and after a nightmare with my dealer/fender, got the quick connect harnesses for the pickups.

I wired it up today and it works great. The S1 switch works properly and it sounds nice.

The issue I'm having is that when I touch the pickup covers, I get a fairly loud buzz.

No buzz when touching the strings or any other metal parts, but whether I'm touching other metal or not, I get buzz if I touch the covers.

Any thoughts?

I know it's not Gibson related, but I also know that some of the folks on here are very savvy with this sort of things.

Thanks,

NHTom

They are the new quick connect type

The black wire on the quick connect harness is soldered to the back of the volume pot.

I thought ground first also.

NHTom

It still could be the ground.. What you describe sounds like it... Buzz increases when you touch metal parts that arnt grounded properly....

Could be on the pickup end, maybe the ground has come loose or one of the solder joints on the back of the pot may be a cold joint.. Give them a wiggle and make sure the connection is solid...

After that its hard to tell with out checking it personally.

Guest Farnsbarns

IMX a poorly grounded pup will hum until you touch it. This is because the capacitance of your body absorbs the hum.

I think you might have a coil shorting to the pup cover.

Where's Search when you need him?

Right.......this only hums IF you touch the pup cover.

You can be ONLY touching the cover, or touching bridge/strings, etc AND cover and it hums no matter which combination.

I'm going to try some aligator clip jumper wires to ground just to experiment and see.

NHTom

IMX a poorly grounded pup will hum until you touch it. ...

The opposite has been the case with my 1973 L6-S' neck pickup. There always has been some hum with the neck pickup on, but from touching the cover the hum grew fairly loud. It went quieter when I touched the bridge same time, and so I decided to check for missing ground. This was indeed the case, and soldering a ground wire to the neck pickup solved the problem.

Right.......this only hums IF you touch the pup cover.

You can be ONLY touching the cover, or touching bridge/strings, etc AND cover and it hums no matter which combination.

I'm going to try some aligator clip jumper wires to ground just to experiment and see.

NHTom

Obviously the problem is not the guitar, but rather you yourself. Are you grounded? :rolleyes:

Problem solved.

One of the quick connect pins on the back of the pickup had broken it's solder............

I'm not much good at soldering onto printed circuit boards, but was able to make it work.

Thanks,

NHTom

Guest Farnsbarns

Problem solved.

One of the quick connect pins on the back of the pickup had broken it's solder............

I'm not much good at soldering onto printed circuit boards, but was able to make it work.

Thanks,

NHTom

Excellent news. For curiosity's sake, which pin?

Archived