Gibson Brands Forums

J185 a very cool piece..

slimt

'Arguably the best sounding guitar ever' he says .... thats the kind of statements that make me run the other way with such listings. And he's not even able to date the year of the guitar. [thumbdn]

Although the actual guitar looks tasty, just not the sellers approach.

Nice axe. I've seen labels done that way before. The subjective hype reminds me of a substance you don't want to kick in the pasture on a hot day. What's all that garble about the case? Wonder how many guitars he's actually sold. Starting bid is insane. Why not just post as buy now/price firm/Don't care whether it sells or not. Wish I knew a bunch of really stupid people with that kind of cash to spend. Whole thing is just DEPressing.

that's a good buy-it-now price on the 2011 model, that is what my 2006 lefty cost that i posted a few months ago on this forum, and i feel it was very much worth it. An older (1950s) one would be nice, but i would definitely be willing to drive a long distance in order to try before i buy. The true vintage and new vintage also look interesting, although they are red spruce, i think my sitka top on the maple b/s more suits my ear.

...or this one: '52 J-185 Mind you, that's at Gary's which is known for high pricing levels, but this (in the OP) is a vintage J-185 from the first year of production. It is worn, and it's been on the market previously IIRC. It is not stated in the ebay listing what the condition is "under the hood", which could detract from the price somewhat.

If the only issue is the worn finish, then this is a reasonable price. The seller doesn't look like he is all that knowledgeable as a vintage guitar seller, though.

Fred

Just once I'd like to see someone post a description of a guitar and say, "Never did like this guitar. It sounds so clunky and it's hard to play, too."

I've seen it,but only one time and that was years ago and 'way pre-internet. For sale ad for a Martin D-18: all I can recall is "frets like a sidewalk" and "a disaster in mahogany". Wish I'd clipped/saved the entire text!

Another fine example, but sadly being in the UK, the import on that would be ridiculous. Hoping I might be able to find one closer to home. They pop up every now and then, but they are a seemingly rare bird.

My J-185 I bought from Dawsons here in the UK in 2012 and they had a few at the time. I got a sunburst one which is a beauty and sounds sweet. They had natural ones too at the time and some with cutaways if I remember right. I never cared for the cutaway version at all, so mine is like the originals non-cutaway.

My J-185 I bought from Dawsons here in the UK in 2012 and they had a few at the time. I got a sunburst one which is a beauty and sounds sweet. They had natural ones too at the time and some with cutaways if I remember right. I never cared for the cutaway version at all, so mine is like the originals non-cutaway.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the cutaway (EC model?) either, nor do I like the look of the natural one; gotta' be the 'burst for me on that guitar, even if I am too picky! msp_biggrin.gif

...nor do I like the look of the natural one; gotta' be the 'burst for me on that guitar, even if I am too picky!

No, you're not being too picky at all. I'm just the opposite: Don't really care for the sunburst, but love the natural finish version.

I'm also not a fan of the cross inlays on the bridge. Luckily, my 2012 J-185 doesn't have them.

Good thing there are so many versions of so many guitars!

I'm with bobouz on my 2007 J-185 being my desert island guitar. But I find the original look with the cross inlays to be definitive to the breed. What I really like about my J-185 is just how comfortable it is to hold and play. I've not found another guitar, smaller or bigger, that just kind of seems to disappear in the hands like one of these. I can see why there are so many copies from so many custom guys, but oddly they don't seem to embrace the short scale which I find to be another definitive feature.

No, you're not being too picky at all. I'm just the opposite: Don't really care for the sunburst, but love the natural finish version.

I'm also not a fan of the cross inlays on the bridge. Luckily, my 2012 J-185 doesn't have them.

Good thing there are so many versions of so many guitars!

I like 'em sunburst or natural, cross or no cross, just was never too keen on cutaways on acoustics. That's just my opinion, many love the EC versions and that's fine too.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the cutaway (EC model?) either, nor do I like the look of the natural one; gotta' be the 'burst for me on that guitar, even if I am too picky! msp_biggrin.gif

I'd keep a look out if you are interested in getting one. I'm sure Guitar Village in Surrey had one quite recently and there was a 12 string version floating about too I believe.

I'd keep a look out if you are interested in getting one. I'm sure Guitar Village in Surrey had one quite recently and there was a 12 string version floating about too I believe.

Yeah I saw the ones @ Guitar Village. Dawsons also seem to have some in at the moment, but sadly I'm not in a position to get one without putting it all on a credit card; something I'd like to avoid as I'm trying to get a mortgage soon.

Archived